PDA

View Full Version : Quality ammunition question

warriorteacher
05-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Hello all,

I recently bought a Ruger P95 and needed some rounds to fire. After reading the "Found a deal" section I bought some Federal Ammunition 9mm LUGER 115 Grain FMJ RN. I know that my Ruger is supposedly able to spit out whatever it is fed but I would like some honest opinions about brands to buy and brands to ignore.

I know that FMJ stands for full metal jacket but what about the RN and the grain number. Does better quality equal higher numbers?

I also was given a Noble 20 gauge pump from my father (its over 30 years old and fires decent). Is there a brand of ammunition I should use with that gun as well?

Thank you for any help you can give,
-B

JohnS624
05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
RN means Round Nose and 115 grains is the bullet weight. 115 grains is standard for the 9mm. Any of the common brands of ammo is fine- Remington, Winchester, Federal, Black Hills, Corbon, etc.

XDM 40 cal
05-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Yep 115 gr is the normal for 9mm target rounds...

Now you can use the RWS 124 gr ,but dont get caught with them at a indoor range. they dont like the Steel jacked rounds...at least that what i was told...also ive heard that wolf ammo is not welcome either.:twocents:

Troubleshooter
05-09-2010, 07:26 PM
That Ruger should work with just about any 9mm ammo you want to run through it. Right not the best deal is the Federal 115gn at Walmart for $9.97.

knu2xs
05-11-2010, 02:51 PM
One thing to remember is that some guns will eat anything you feed them but others of the same brand and model may be finicky when it comes to their diet.

Ya just never know.........

joepistol
05-11-2010, 06:52 PM
I would suggest you buy no more than 1 box of each type/weight round for your pistol, then test fire it, trying a few mags of each type,to see which type your pistol "likes".. all pistols can/may/will be different.

Example 1 box winchester 115 gr rn FMJ
1 box Remington 115 gr rn FMJ
1 box Remington 124 gr rn FMJ
1 box Federal 124gr rn FMJ
1 box winchester 147gr rn FMJ

pistol "likes".. = feeds & ejects without problems &
most importantly, shoots the tightest groups =most accurate for your gun.

You should find, over time , what ammo your pistol likes ,
then buy mass quantities of that ammo! Have fun..& Good Luck..Joepistol..:pistols:

CrimDoc
05-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I agree with everything Joepistol said except the statement that shooting the tightest group is the most important criterion. For a self-defense pistol, it absolutely is not.

Whether you shoot a 2 or 4 inch group in a violent attacker's torso isn't going to matter one bit. However, whether a round stovepipes or not while you're using your pistol to defend yourself is critical.

Of course ... all else being equal, you want a round that is more accurate, penetrates adequately, expands well etc. But IMHO all of these things are an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE less important than flawless feeding and ejection (for a self defense gun).

I would suggest you buy no more than 1 box of each type/weight round for your pistol, then test fire it, trying a few mags of each type,to see which type your pistol "likes".. all pistols can/may/will be different.

Example 1 box winchester 115 gr rn FMJ
1 box Remington 115 gr rn FMJ
1 box Remington 124 gr rn FMJ
1 box Federal 124gr rn FMJ
1 box winchester 147gr rn FMJ

pistol "likes".. = feeds & ejects without problems &
most importantly, shoots the tightest groups =most accurate for your gun.

You should find, over time , what ammo your pistol likes ,
then buy mass quantities of that ammo! Have fun..& Good Luck..Joepistol..:pistols: