PDA

View Full Version : NRA Instructor Training

Ktulu
01-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Does anyone have any info on NRA instructor courses in the South East Michigan area?

bluethunder
01-14-2004, 10:11 AM
S.E.T. You Sights LLC, they teach out of Whitmore Lake.
www.setyoursights.net
Doug and Sue, great folks. Tell 'em I sent you.

Ktulu
01-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks Kent.

Kouger
01-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Chuck Tellas out of Tri-Coutny sportmas league is where I took mine.

http://tri-countysportsmansleague.org/index.php

G22
05-20-2004, 07:55 AM
I am thinking about taking the NRA Certified Instructor training course from S.E.T. Your Sights LLC. (Pistol Discipline)

I have a few questions...

Successfully complete the appropriate NRA instructor examination. Certified—90% or higher. Assistant—85% or higher. Apprentice—85% or higher.

Is this at the end after you've been trained?
How hard was it? (I dont want to be an assistant)
Is there any way to study for this test before hand?

Submit your application with appropriate certification fee. Membership in the National Rifle Association is strongly recommended.

How much is the Fee?
I am an NRA member.

My training background:
Completed NRA Certified CPL class and got my CPL from S.W.A.T. Academy (Simon Richards did class, and Jim Simmons did legal portion).

Additional training includes Point Shooting class with Mark Levis (taurus92) and Rob.

I shot copetitively for the first time this year at Peters Gun Range with Power Factor, (bowling pin shooting). Bi-weekly.

I try to get to the range at least every two weeks, and I know and can demonstrate proper and safe firearm handling.

Would this be sufficient?
Anything else I may need to know?

Thanks everyone :)

bluethunder
05-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Ok, let me try to answer your questions.First:
Yes, you're tested on the material you learned in class. You will have no problem getting the answers for the test questions.
"Can you study before hand?" If you could get a hold of the 'student packet', that's the package of materials you get when you arrive for class. I'd let you borrow mine, except all the wrong answers are highlighted, :lol: But seriously.
As for the fee, I think it's about $25. In addition to the class tuition, $350 range I think. And finally, from what I know of you, you will have no problem with the class. If you need other help. e-mail me, I'll trry to help. Doug and Sue put on a great class, you won't be disappointed.

G22
05-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks Kent :D

As an early B-Day present to myself, I think I'm going to sign up for the June 25th - 27th class.

"Can you study before hand?" If you could get a hold of the 'student packet', that's the package of materials you get when you arrive for class. I'd let you borrow mine, except all the wrong answers are highlighted, But seriously.

I was just curious about the outlined topics covered, not the answers!!
It wouldnt' be right if I could not pass on my own merits!! :pistols:

Thanks again

bluethunder
05-20-2004, 09:16 AM
No problem, Kevin. I wish you the best of luck. And no better present than the one that keeps on giving. :D The class is mostly based on 'book skills' not shooting skills. And Doug and Sue will give you everything you need,upon completion of the course. Actually, I think they go above and beyond what is required. Of course you will have to go to the NRA website after completion, to get some materials to start teaching. Not to mention the way cool hats, shirts and decals. :wink:

G22
05-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Of course you will have to go to the NRA website after completion, to get some materials to start teaching. Not to mention the way cool hats, shirts and decals.

Ah yes, so I can be a walking billboard!! :lol:
I'll have to see if I can find room between my Glock patches!!!
They should blend well.

G22
05-21-2004, 08:16 AM
Well, I sent away to the NRA for a list of Training Counselor's here in michigan. I just got 14 pages of em' dated May 4th 2004.

I don't see any listing for Doug or Sue at S.E.T. Your Sights LLC.

There is a listing for a Douglas K Hastings 11796 Watson Rd, Bath MI 48808.

Is this the Guy?
I thought they were in Brighton?

Kouger, Nor do I see a Chuck Tellas.

G22
05-21-2004, 08:25 AM
(Ktulu) Jeff,
Did you take your training course yet?

If not maybe we could take the same class.
I'm in SE Michigan also.

bluethunder
05-21-2004, 09:12 AM
I don't see any listing for Doug or Sue at S.E.T. Your Sights LLC.

There is a listing for a Douglas K Hastings 11796 Watson Rd, Bath MI 48808.

Is this the Guy?
I thought they were in Brighton?

They are, Kevin. Try this : www.setyoursights.net Don't forget to tell them Marty, Karen and I sent you.

G22
05-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Yes, I did go to their web site to check them out.

What I was saying was that they are not in my list of certified training counselor's that I received from the NRA.

I am going to call them and the NRA to find out why they are not listed.

bluethunder
05-21-2004, 09:42 AM
I would be curious also, Kevin. It sounds like the NRA list is a bit lacking.

Trebor
05-25-2004, 11:51 PM
The NRA list of Training Counselours is so outdated and inaccurate it's not even funny. When I was lookin for a TC, I started with the NRA list but kept finding bad contact info, counselours listed who were no longer counselours or who were no longer actively teaching. I later also found out that there were several active counselours who were not listed on the master list. I finally found Doug and Sue almost by accident when I ran across a post by another student who was going to be in their upcoming class.

I trained with Doug and Sue. The class was long and grueling, but worth it. It is all about learning the material and learning how to teach, not how great of a shot you are or how "tactical" you can be.

BTW, the NRA recognized Doug and Sue as being qualified to sign off on my application, even though they hadn't appeared on the list the NRA sent me. I didn't have any problems getting my credentials.

G22
05-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Thanks Trebor,
I am going to sign up for their June 25-27 class.

Ktulu
05-26-2004, 07:37 AM
G22, no I didn't take the class yet. I'm not sure I'm going to take it at all.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

SteveS
05-28-2004, 03:05 PM
I am going to sign up for their June 25-27 class.

I will be in this class, too. See you there!

M1911A1
05-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Doug and Sue do an excellent job of preparing instructors.
Just make sure to get a good night's sleep the day before you start because Trebor is right, it is a grueling weekend of training.

G22
06-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Well, after long thought about this, I have decided to put off this class until a later date. The choice's came down to me learning to be an instructor in the basic pistol disicipline at S.E.T. Yout Sights, and me joining DSC, and taking more advanced pistol training for myself, and when Deputy decides to have his next class also.

My first priority must be getting more advanced training for myself, for many reasons. I beleive it's a decision that will give me more confidence and allow me, once I do become a certified instructor, to better teach my students what they will need to know. And I could use all the additional training I can get!! :)

Plus they just laid off many people (again) where I work, and cut our hours to 40. The usual summer slow down, compounded with the rest of the incoming bills and other events like IPSC.

Sorry I wont see you there SteveS, this is something I will plan to do at another time.