PDA

View Full Version : How to Load +1?

SpaceOddity
05-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Howdy,

I've been loading the "+1" on my Glock & Sig by dropping it into the barrel, closing the slide, and then loading the magazine.

I just realized that it loads from the magazine the back of the cartridge slips behind the extractor, so it looks like what I've been doing is forcing the extractor to ride over the back of the cartridge to lock in place. I see some brass coloring on the front of the extractor but it doesn't look damaged.

Is it always wrong to load "+1" by dropping it into the barrel/chamber first? Is the only right way to load the mag, drop it, then add another to the mag?

ddeadserious
05-15-2010, 12:14 AM
I've read(I don't know where), that the method you're using can be dangerous and/or bad for the gun. When I load my +1, I just pop in the mag, cock it, drop the mag and put in the leftover round.

RayMich
05-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Dropping the round into the chamber and slamming the slide shut (Bubba load) will over-stress the extractor and eventually it will break. The gun are designed so that the round slides UP from the magazine.

You should always load that +1 by racking the slide with a full mag and then topping off the mag.

Beretta is the only one I know of, that makes a semi-automatic that can be loaded by dropping the round directly into the chamber. The Tomcat and Bobcat have a tip-up barrel that allows rounds to be loaded directly into the chamber without slide retraction.

Will-IB-Ready
05-15-2010, 03:33 AM
You should always load that +1 by racking the slide with a full mag and then topping off the mag.

Right. They call it a "Barney" load.

XDM 40 cal
05-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Its the way i do it, rack the slide drop the mag and load one,reload the mag.

and as safty first keep the trigger on the side of the firearm...

stay safe..

mechredd
05-16-2010, 10:49 PM
I load the mag and rack the slide, then add the extra round to the mag.

Some guns such as the Makarov, are designed to "jump the rim" and are OK to drop the round into the chamber and let the slide slam on it. The mak actually does this every time it cycles.

miked
05-17-2010, 08:03 AM
I load the mag, rack the slide, replace mag with backup mag and top off new backup mad, rinse and repeat.

_DK_
05-17-2010, 08:45 AM
just jam an extra round in the mag :flame:

Groo
05-26-2010, 10:57 AM
some guns can take it, some cant

some can't even handle a barney loading +1 without screwing up.

JimSig
05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Howdy,

I've been loading the "+1" on my Glock & Sig by dropping it into the barrel, closing the slide, and then loading the magazine.

I just realized that it loads from the magazine the back of the cartridge slips behind the extractor, so it looks like what I've been doing is forcing the extractor to ride over the back of the cartridge to lock in place. I see some brass coloring on the front of the extractor but it doesn't look damaged.

Is it always wrong to load "+1" by dropping it into the barrel/chamber first? Is the only right way to load the mag, drop it, then add another to the mag?

Well, I think it is safer to load the mag, cycle the slide, then reload the mag with +1. Now having said that, my next comment is for the technical discussion only and not arguing as a safe practice, isn't the Glock extractor spring loaded. That is if it has to slide against the casing side, it will be pushed against the spring until it reaches the casing groove then it will snap in place. How will this result in breaking the extractor. The extractor will be limited to load magnitudes by the spring. What do you say for that?? again the debate is for technicality and not for safe practice.

DocCasualty
05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, I think it is safer to load the mag, cycle the slide, then reload the mag with +1.

I agree with you and the majority here that this is the proper way to load +1. For instance, you should never load a rimfire auto any other way, as apparently the risk of a slamfire is significant. With modern centerfire autoloading pistols, I'm not sure how realistic the possiblility of a slamfire is but probably is somewhat dependent on the model, as is the possiblility of damage to the extractor.

I just load all of them this way as that's what I was taught, it appears to me to be the safest way and by being consistent, it's less likely I'll mess-up someday by having done it incorrectly.

yocan
05-27-2010, 03:29 AM
have a mag to put a round in the chamber from, so all your doing is a mag change so you never set the gun down with a round in the chamber with no mag in there, it just encourages brain farts.... there is a whole through 2 chairs and a recliner in my house from a friend doing that.

insert mag, pull slide, mag change. then top off the removed magazine.

mags are the primary reason for failures, so IMO you should have a spare mag around to do this with.

SpaceOddity
05-29-2010, 07:51 PM
The extractor will be limited to load magnitudes by the spring. What do you say for that?? again the debate is for technicality and not for safe practice.

Yeah the extractor is spring loaded & angled so it looks like they almost designed it so it could slide over the back of the case and snap into place if necessary - unless there's another reason to have it angled at the back? Maybe "just in case" there's a failure to eject or something?

TRT
06-10-2010, 07:08 PM
For range ammo, just stripping the round off the top of the magazine is fine, because a ball round won't deform, and will be shot right then.

However, carry ammo is expensive to replace, and also generally hollow points. When a hollowpoint is loaded from the mag, it will often deform slightly as it hits the feed ramp. Once or twice doesn't matter, but after several times of being slammed into the feed ramp, you start running the risk of a nosedive because the tip of the bullet is so deformed.

Obviously you also can't just put the round in the chamber and allow the extractor claw to slip over the rim of the case, even if it doesn't break the extractor claw, it'll chew up the rim of the case, risking extraction failures.

This is easy once you do it yourself and see the exact mechanics of it.

The procedure I've using for years:

-Lock the slide back.
-Put the round in the chamber.
-Ease the slide forward so it's almost closed.
-Pull the slide back slightly, maybe .5 inch depending on the gun/caliber.
-Tilt the gun back slightly.
-The round will come out of the chamber and tilt down some, and hit the breechface just under the extractor.
-Allow the slide to then come gently forward, and the rim of the round will slip up under the extractor claw as it would if it were being stripped from the mag.
-Insert mag and make sure it's latched securely in place.

Voila, +1 loaded without damaging the bullet nose or case rim, and without damaging your extractor.

Maybe I'll try and make a video of it.

_DK_
06-11-2010, 05:33 AM
I go to the range at least twice a month so I just pop off that round that keeps getting loaded and unloaded.

Though lately I just leave my gun in the holster I do not unload it before locking it up, My XD still fits in my pistol safe in the NTAC holster.

When I 1st started carrying I did the +1 thing, but to be honest I don't bother anymore. 16+1 or just 16? + a full 16rd backup mag.

Maybe it's different for lower capacity carriers but 32rds on my person "should" be enough for me

nova7733
01-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Howdy,

I am amazed that NO ONE is talking about the fact that bullets get shorter every time you rack one off the magazine. Every time you strip a bullet off a mag the bullet gets seated further into the brass. Shortening the overall length of the bullet (possibly causing malfunctions) and reducing the spacing for gunpowder to expand properly.

If the question were, should I reload the same bullet off my magazine 365 times a year or drop it in the chamber and close the slide on it 365 times. I would say without a doubt that closing the slide on the bullet would be safer. Assuming the extractor is capable of sliding over the rim of the cartridge.

I would not recommend loading any single bullet more than 5 times from the magazine. Because it will be out of spec from hitting the feed ramp those 5 times. I know this because I reload ammo. To be honest I am surprised that there isn't a warning on the box about loading bullets off the magazine multiple times. If you rotate your ammunition religiously then yes go ahead loading from the magazines. If you carry daily and unload/load daily. I think it is safer to load one in the chamber by hand and close the slide. Other wise your ammo will become out of spec.

nova7733
01-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Great idea! And good explanation. Though this does not work with my Glock 19 :( You had me so excited.

Roundballer
01-23-2015, 12:22 AM
Don't bump old threads for no reason.

This thread is 4 1/2 YEARS old!

shortskimper
01-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Don't bump old threads for no reason.

This thread is 4 1/2 YEARS old!

Nova provided me with some very good information i otherwise wouldn't know. I wouldn't call that "no reason". Thanks Nova!!!

topgun
01-30-2015, 09:43 AM
I am amazed that NO ONE is talking about the fact that bullets get shorter every time you rack one off the magazine. Every time you strip a bullet off a mag the bullet gets seated further into the brass. Shortening the overall length of the bullet (possibly causing malfunctions) and reducing the spacing for gunpowder to expand properly.
If the question were, should I reload the same bullet off my magazine 365 times a year or drop it in the chamber and close the slide on it 365 times. I would say without a doubt that closing the slide on the bullet would be safer. Assuming the extractor is capable of sliding over the rim of the cartridge.

I would not recommend loading any single bullet more than 5 times from the magazine. Because it will be out of spec from hitting the feed ramp those 5 times. I know this because I reload ammo. To be honest I am surprised that there isn't a warning on the box about loading bullets off the magazine multiple times. If you rotate your ammunition religiously then yes go ahead loading from the magazines. If you carry daily and unload/load daily. I think it is safer to load one in the chamber by hand and close the slide. Other wise your ammo will become out of spec.

Shortening the overall length of the bullet (possibly causing malfunctions) and reducing the spacing for gunpowder to expand properly should be less of a concern than the higher pressure caused by this "setback" that you're mentioning. Especially since some calibers are already pretty high pressure, and older guns may not be able to handle the additional pressure. If you're going to keep re-chambering the same bullet, it should be visually compared to a "new" bullet regularly, so when the setback nears 1/16", shoot it at the range and start re-chambering a "new" bullet just for safety's sake. Rotating bullets will probably catch-up with you at some point in time if you don't shoot often.

The 5 time loading limit you mention is probably a fairly good rule-of-thumb, but some manufacturers setback issues are worse than others due to their design, so visual comparison inspection or measuring would be safer.

Armed Fitter
01-31-2015, 07:38 AM
That's why I carry fed hydrashok, they have a center perf/crimp in the case, the bullet will not further seat in the case.

J. Browne
01-31-2015, 09:02 AM
I used to drop one in the chamber and then send the slide home until I was at the range one day and did it.. The gun failed to eject... So from then on I load out of the mag, drop said mag, top it off and reinsert it into the firearm.

tenthumbs
02-01-2015, 01:00 PM
I load from the clip. That is the way every other round loads automatically..and from the clip. I've done it that way for four and a half years :p

shortskimper
02-02-2015, 08:53 AM
I swear to 7lb baby Jesus. I will be making a video culminating the differences between magazines and "clips" one day!!!!

Jungle George
02-02-2015, 03:56 PM
If you make the video nice and short you could call it a clip clip. Maybe a magazine might be willing to publish a printed version. :biggrin:

shortskimper
02-03-2015, 07:13 AM
You got me. I physically laughed out loud reading that!

kryl
02-03-2015, 04:17 PM
If you make the video nice and short you could call it a clip clip. Maybe a magazine might be willing to publish a printed version. :biggrin:

:lmao:

Once I have it hot, it stays that way 'til shot. Will I wear out the mag spring? I think not.

If I do I will know soon enough ahead of time that it ain't worth squat.

:facepalm: