PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 96FS question

Roz
02-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Anyone out there own one? I was on my way to purchase one this morning, and the transaction didn't work out as I didn't have a purchase permit.. was advised that the Oakland Sheriff's office would issue me one on the spot... long story short, that didn't work out.

Anyhow, reviewing the piece that I was going to buy, I noticed that the barrel was a lot lighter in colour than the the slide/frame. Is this normal? If there was uneven wear, that would make sense of a finish being stripped off, but the barrel was evenly coloured except for at lock up and a few other places.

Anyone with a 92fs in blue/park/whatever have the same issue? I have an Inox, and the frame and barrel are the same tone.

Dale
02-13-2004, 02:58 PM
I don't know that model but, knowing Beretta, the barrel is likely a different metal than the slide and frame. Thus different shades of blue. Check the Beretta web site specifications.

taurus92
02-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I have a 92 AFS (stainless) Different colour (tone).

Could be a diffence in metals used for the barrel and slide.

sprink
02-13-2004, 06:50 PM
I know the FS suffix stands for "fixed slide", what does AFS stand for? :rofl:

Ken P
02-13-2004, 07:25 PM
I can hear Mark's answer now.....

you better run for cover sir...

sprink
02-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Just guessing..."another fixed slide", "after fixing slide". or "almost fixed slide"? Just wondering...... :wink:

Ken P
02-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Just guessing..."another fixed slide", "after fixing slide". or "almost fixed slide"? Just wondering...... :wink:

or of course he may choose to demonstrate "anal fixed slide" on the 22nd :rofl:

sprink
02-13-2004, 08:10 PM
That would be akin to pulling one out of his......oh never mind. Ha Ha hahahah

Wolverinesden
02-14-2004, 02:07 AM
I have a 92FS. Got it new. Its all the same color.

Roz
02-14-2004, 09:34 AM
That's what I've always thought. Definitely the same way on my 92FS, and on the samples of non-stainless 92FS I've seen.

Taurus92 & Dale's comment about being different metals is very valid though.

taurus92
02-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Who knows what the AFS stands for...
Alloy Frame Stainless?
A ******* semi-Auto?

gunrunner357
02-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Being a past Beretta employee, The anodizing process is the same, However the slides are made of castings run thru a creep grinder In three different operations. It is the high polishing of the grinder which gives the slide a mirror finish in bare steel then once anodized has the deep blue luster. I have 2 92FS
1 .380
2 .22s
3 12 ga
All at emp. discounts Gunrunner357

Roz
02-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Gunrunner,

Is it true they've discontinued the tomcat?

So it is acceptable and normal for the slide and barrel to be in different textures of black.

Thanks!

J 92 Brigadier
02-15-2004, 12:59 PM
I have a 92 FS Brigadier Inox and the barrel and slide are the same. Maybe the barrel was replaced on yours?

One of Many
02-15-2004, 01:19 PM
I thought that anodizing was a process applied to non-ferrous metals, usually aluminum.

Parkerizing (phosphate finish) and blueing, plating (nickle, chrome, etc.) are done to ferrous metals, and some (plating) can be done to non-ferrous metals also.

Blueing is a controlled rust process, that to my knowledge can only be done to ferrous metals. The type of metal (alloy) and hardness will affect the finished color.

Some Makarov pistols have hammer and safety parts that are plum colored instead of blue, because a different alloy and hardness metal was used for those parts.

I would not be concerned about the color if safety or function is the question. If you bought the gun to use for personal defense, the color should not matter. If you bought the gun as a colector for future value, and don't intend to use it, then I can see where you may have some concerns. If this is a rare factory-stock product it may increase the value.