PDA

View Full Version : CPL Holders, be especially careful today

Jim Simmons
02-16-2004, 01:59 PM
CPL holders need to be especially careful in dealing with traffic stops for the next few days, especially those who drive pickup trucks.

A guy in a pickup truck shot two Detroit PD officers this morning. One's dead and the other's critical, and the shooter apparently got away.

Even if they catch this vermin, LEOs are going to be on heightened alert for the next few days. So everyone, be on your best behavior regarding immediate disclosure and nonthreatening demeanor.

Here's the story from the AP wire.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1076928540213390.xml

Scoop
02-16-2004, 03:19 PM
A guy in a pickup truck shot two Detroit PD officers this morning. One's dead and the other's critical, and the shooter apparently got away. They got the shooter, but are looking for his brother.

BTW: This happened 3.8 miles from the front door of my place of employment, directly down Michigan Ave.

Sigster
02-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Apparently, the guy came out of the truck and opened up on the two officers while they were in the squad car. I doubt he infomed them "in a polite voice with hands on the wheel" that he had a loaded gun in the truck. What a terrible tragedy.

Roz
02-16-2004, 09:13 PM
The Freep was reporting he fired off at least 20 rounds, and that the police officers were caught off guard, and unable to shoot back.

As much as this is detestable, I find it startling that A) the police officers probably weren't wearing body armour, and B) that this cretin was able to unload 20 rounds in a very short period of time.

Does Detroit PD not mandate body armour?

I think a Glock 22 has the highest cap .40s&w magazine that I'm aware of at 15 rounds. That's still a minimum of 1 reload.

goldwing2000
02-16-2004, 10:03 PM
As much as this is detestable, I find it startling that A) the police officers probably weren't wearing body armour, and B) that this cretin was able to unload 20 rounds in a very short period of time.

Does Detroit PD not mandate body armour?

I heard that it was just a .22 and they picked up 25 empties. Depending on where the shots hit, body armor may have made a significant difference. Or not.

RSF
02-16-2004, 11:45 PM
The officers were wearing body armor! AND BOTH HAVE SINCE DECEASED!

Roz
02-17-2004, 08:01 AM
This is a ridiculous tragedy. I'm not sure what else to say.

Anyone know if they're starting a fund for both of the slain officer's families?

Roz
02-17-2004, 08:04 AM
heard that it was just a .22 and they picked up 25 empties. Depending on where the shots hit, body armor may have made a significant difference. Or not.

The Freep was reporting it was a .40S&W... makes me wonder though. Especially since Kane's reporting hearing it was a .22... maybe it'll grow to a .223. Not saying that body armour is the solution, but I'm still shaking my head over this whole situation.

At least they got him. The DP are also looking for his brother-in-law too.

John Henry
02-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Follow-up article, from the News;

http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/0402/17/a05-66960.htm

Such a disgusting waste of two fine young officers.

goldwing2000
02-17-2004, 09:33 AM
The Freep was reporting it was a .40S&W... makes me wonder though. Especially since Kane's reporting hearing it was a .22... maybe it'll grow to a .223...

I stand corrected.

"Investigators found at least 22 .40-caliber shell casings at the scene of the shooting, Schwartz said."

Hey, it was 6:am and I was half asleep. :?

Al Lowe
02-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Unfortunately, the two deceased officers apparently failed to keep Situational Awareness. If even one of them had, they might both still be alive.

At least the perpatrator was caught. Too bad Michigan doesn't have the death penalty. I think this guy deserves it.

HK USP
02-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Too bad Michigan doesn't have the death penalty. I think this guy deserves it.

We tried it as a ballot on a state wide, and were told by the then AG that it was not a voters choice issue.