PDA

View Full Version : Safe Moving Equipment (Stair Walker Dolly)

CDP
05-23-2010, 12:38 PM
If anyone needs to move a safe and needs an electronic stair walker you can rent one at: ARTS Rental in Farmington Hills. Ask for Mike. The address is 28811 Grand River Ave. Farmington Hills, MI 48336, (734) 427-0777. I rented one this weekend, $45.00/per day. This machune can handel a max of 650lbs.

YZR
05-24-2010, 03:11 AM
I might be needing one soon. Thanks for the post!

Done Deal
05-24-2010, 10:26 AM
This machune can handel a max of 650lbs.

Is that the rating or really all it can handle? Many safes exceed those specs by hundreds of pounds.

CDP
05-24-2010, 03:24 PM
This particular stair walker is the small one. It is also the only one they have on hand.

indy1k
05-25-2010, 04:27 PM
i rented mine at lewis equipment in eastpointe i think it was like 85.00 for 24 hours and was rated for 1500 lbs which my safe is every bit of worked great definatly paid for itself only took 3 guys instead of 12 lol

Groo
05-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Is that the rating or really all it can handle? Many safes exceed those specs by hundreds of pounds.

thats why you pay a little extra for the insurance :biggrin:

david_the_greek
06-13-2010, 07:41 AM
hhhmmmm just posted a question on Ar15.com about potential safe movers in the SE MI, Detroit area. The equipment rental in Eastpointe might not be a bad idea.... For anyone that used one of these suckers, just how hard are they to maneuver and use? I am looking at an old larger 2x door safe and am a little worried it might be 1500lbs or more! Things I want: safe (yes), hernia (no). Also, what do you guys do about going down basement stairs when you have a 1500lb safe? I'm going to guess put a horizontal board under each stair with two vertical ones propping it up? Seems like that would increase the load it could handle by a bit.

indy1k
06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
my safe is approx 1500 lbs and it wored great not easy to move any way you slice it but the dolly worked great both up and down the stairs i would call lewis equip they have a few different dollies

hhhmmmm just posted a question on Ar15.com about potential safe movers in the SE MI, Detroit area. The equipment rental in Eastpointe might not be a bad idea.... For anyone that used one of these suckers, just how hard are they to maneuver and use? I am looking at an old larger 2x door safe and am a little worried it might be 1500lbs or more! Things I want: safe (yes), hernia (no). Also, what do you guys do about going down basement stairs when you have a 1500lb safe? I'm going to guess put a horizontal board under each stair with two vertical ones propping it up? Seems like that would increase the load it could handle by a bit.

tondar
06-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Indy1k,

What did you do for the stairs in terms of bracing?

How many guys did it take to move it using the dolly?

Thanx

BB69
07-01-2010, 11:31 AM
I am also interested to hear more details about actually using the machine. I need to go downstairs into the basement. An appliance dolly was great for getting it into the first floor, but now I'm thinking of moving it to the basement.

For a 800lb safe, how many people do think are needed? How much man handling is required going down the stairs?

Thanks
Ken

YZR
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Interesting videos:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-load-gun-safe-into-pick-up-truck-safely-267113/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO6FJQoi0H8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRumITW0t34

I am picking up a safe from chewy tomorrow and using the dolly that started this thread. I'll let you know how it goes (it's a wimpy 500 pounder tho!)

YZR
07-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Here is an update on my safe moving foibles:
First of all many thanks to Chewy for organizing the group buy for several MGO members!
Getting the safe home was no problem but the stair climber dolly I rented from Art's did everything except climb stairs :poed: I think the issue was a low charge, even though I was told it had been charged all the previous night. We were able to get it up the 2 1/2 front porch stairs by using the dolly (for what it was worth) and a hydraulic jack. If there would have been more stairs to climb I would have been totally screwed. I am sure the dolly worked fine for the original poster but it failed miserably for me.
Now, in defense of Art's rental: When I told them that it wouldn't climb stairs he gave me my CC slip and didn't charge me a dime so PLEASE do not consider this a slam against Arts' rental!!! They were very stand up as far as I am concerned, the thing just didn't have the juice to get-r-done.
Also many thanks to my sister and her husband for sacrificing a Friday afternoon to wrestle a 500 pound safe!

luvinmyguns
07-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Also many thanks to my sister and her husband for sacrificing a Friday afternoon to wrestle a 500 pound safe!

It was an experience that I'll never forget. I'm just glad we finished with all of our fingers and toes intact!:clap:

signed,
Sister

Fast Glass
11-23-2010, 09:11 PM
If anyone needs to move a bigger safe, Art's will only go to 650#. Button's rent it in Royal Oak (248-542-5835) has one that goes to 1350#. Right near the Detroit Zoo. It was $55 for 4 hours.

BB69
04-26-2014, 09:18 AM
If anyone needs to move a bigger safe, Art's will only go to 650#. Button's rent it in Royal Oak (248-542-5835) has one that goes to 1350#. Right near the Detroit Zoo. It was $55 for 4 hours.

I know this is old, but I thought I would you know Button's doesn't have the dolly anymore. They told me the on they had stopped working and they didn't replace it.

MetalKing
04-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Well then that brings me to a funny story. So I just moved into this house 2 years ago and have a 1500 pound safe with access to a stair dolly which is of no use since the stairs to the basement make a 90 degree turn. Fortunately there is a slightly steep hill on the sides of house that lead to the basement with patio doors. So I lay the safe down in a dolly, and strap it to the trucks winch system and slowly lower it down. Unfortunately, as soon as it started going down, the wheels sunk into the ground pretty deep and made a nice plow all the way down. It still had to be moved another 60 feet or so to get to the door and by the time I got it to the door, it had to be lifted over a foot and a half just to get to ground level.

Just because the ground looks and feels dry 3 days after it rains, WAIT A WEEK, unless of course you dont mind having two trenches big enough for a family of fish to live in. It rained a few days later, and the trenches turned into private moats. No, I did not put fish in there LOL.

solarguy
04-27-2014, 05:56 AM
Any time you're moving machinery/safes/heavy stuff across the lawn, do it on 3/4" plywood, or 2 x 10's. Or both.

troy

BB69
04-27-2014, 07:57 AM
I ended up renting a Powermate brand climbing dolly from Chet's Rentall in Warren (14 Mile just east of Dequindre). They also have one at their Canton location. I had one other guy helping me out, and we got my 855 pound safe into the basement with no problems. It takes a few tense moments to understand how the dolly works going down stairs, but after that it's pretty easy. We were covered in sweat, but probably more from nerves than anything else. Total cost for 4 hours of rental was $119.

Also, I don't know if it was needed, but I wedged a 2x4 under each stair tread to give some added support. Between the safe, the dolly, and two guys, there was about 1500 pounds on the staircase. It never even creaked.

Ken

Starvin48
04-28-2014, 10:57 AM
I wish this thread would be a sticky here. I could really have used this information multiple times over the last year. Thanks, OP!!! I appreciate you starting this!

costanza
04-28-2014, 11:36 AM
You guys could also PM Nicon77. He has the climber and is a big guy. He's good people! try him out!

plumbum
05-26-2014, 03:31 PM
im pretty sure i used redford safe and lock. in fact i had my safe delivered to their truck dock. they brought it to the house and used the crawler to get it downstairs...

3M5A7G
08-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Would this power stair walker work on an enclosed stairwell, 5 steps down, 90 degree left turn on 3ftX3ft landing, another 5 steps down. When I moved into this house we had three moving guys, me, and my Dad and we could not get it down the stairs on a regular hand cart. Gave up and its been in the corner of my family room under a table cloth for 8 years now.

plumbum
08-12-2014, 11:03 AM
how big is the safe? they also have a cart that is a crossbreed between a hand truck, refrigerator dolly and hi lo! lol. its got an on board battery and lifts the cart up and down. i think they will use it up to 1,000lbs or under. i know for sure that could do what you are describing as long as your safe is under the limit.