PDA

View Full Version : AR-10 style .308 questions

jmoser
02-19-2004, 11:12 AM
I am thinking of an AR style rifle in .308 caliber. This would be a 20" bbl, flat top style for general plinking, but it should be capable of a 200 yard shot if needed. (I do not need a 400 yard tack driver.)

Who makes the best .308 caliber guns? brands I know include Armalite, Knight, etc.

Does Bushmaster make their ARs in non-.223 calibers?

If I can't find one highly recommended I will probably just get an M1A from Springfield.

RSF
02-19-2004, 02:00 PM
I have used the dpms version and will tell you this it is a tack driver and half the cost of the others , bushy just got theres together so i havent shot that yet, i do know this chuck taylor tested a bunch of them and he chose the dpms as well over the others i was aqble to do 500yd head shots with a 16" model,

goldwing2000
02-19-2004, 02:18 PM
In my not-so-humble opinion, an M1A is the cream of the crop. It's mostly just an opinion but mainly because it's such a time-tested design.

Between the traditional style (M1A) and the modern style (AR variants), there may not be much of a functional difference. It would all come down to personal preference. As long as you buy a quality firearm, you won't be disappointed.

How's that for a long way of saying "I don't know"? :biggrin:

Dale
02-19-2004, 02:29 PM
I bought a FAL from DS Arms. After looking at the M-14, the various AR styles, and other .308 semis, I found that the FAL was the best for me. Holding each model, the FAL felt best.

I have two AR-15's (a carbine and a rifle) and both are fun to shoot. The only disadvantage with the FAL (so far) is that there is no really good iron sight other than the one that comes with the gun - good scope mounts and all kinds of optics and red dots and so forth.

lee
02-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Jeff: There is a cost effective alternative for an ultra reliable .308. Let me suggest a Robarms Super VEPR. The Super VEPR is Russian built Heavy duty medium/ heavy barrel .308 with an AK action. I have another model, in the russian round and it is a tack driver. The barrel is 20 in. and the quality is on par with an HK. The Ruskies when serious can make a fine product. It's about 9+ pounds. It has a modern look and has accuracy that mosk AK's aren't known for. Check them out at http://www.robarms.com/

lee
02-21-2004, 09:18 PM
opps, I screwd up ,its http://www.robarm.com/

Roz
02-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Another selling point on the FAL (I've got 2 of them, with parts enough to build up a third), is that mags are dirt cheap. Not quite as cheap as G3 mags, but pretty darn close.

AR-10, SR-25, M1A mags are all going to cost you 5-10x what 1 FAL mag is going to cost.

Sigman
02-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Bushmaster just came out with an AR-15 type rifle in .308 Go to the website.

Roz
02-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Better yet, the Bushie takes FAL mags! I can't wait to see one in person.