PDA

View Full Version : How to find and fit a removable clip to an SKS

menemenetekelupharsin
02-19-2004, 07:27 PM
How does one first, find an appropriate 10 or 20 round clip that will fit a Russian SKS, and then what is the proper procedure for getting the clip to fit properly? Or, can it be done? Thanks in advance.

Mene

M1911A1
02-19-2004, 07:39 PM
I had found a couple of 30 round detachable magazines for my wife's Chinese SKS. Removing the fixed/swinging ten round on the SKS entails taking the trigger assembly off then pulling the action/barrel from the stock. After that the standard mag just comes free. Reassamble the SKS without the swinging/fixed mag and use the SKS detachable mags from there.

There is a process to convert the SKS to AK style detachable mags but I have never done it.

Goldwing2000 may have much more info than I do. He is the guy who told me about the detachable mag upgrade in the first place.

Brian
02-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Cabela's and Cheaper Than Dirt have detachable mags for the SKS. The procedure is as simple as M1911A1 described it. Lock the bolt to the rear, remove the trigger guard, remove the old mag, install the trigger guard and then the new mag. The mag release at the rear of the mag well works like a standard mag release. The bolt has to be locked to the rear to get the mag out because there are grooves in the bolt that ride through the mag lips. These guns are well built and very rugged. Have fun with it.

goldwing2000
02-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Not much more info to give, Marty! That is by far the cheapest and easiest way to convert to a detachable mag.

One word of warning, though: Don't get the plastic extended mag release. The plastic nub that holds the mag in place will break off the first time you use it! Especially under... err... rapid-fire conditions. :oops:

Other than that, check TAPCO and CDNN Investments for the mags. They don't always have them but when they do, they are cheaper than CTD and Cabelas.

45 acp
02-20-2004, 04:22 AM
Just wondering ?
I know next to nothing about these kinds of rifles I am in to handguns and such.
The question is ---- isn't doing this illegal under the Brady Bill?
Now I dont think you guys would promote doing any thing illegal but I had to ask.
This is not a flame or anything else I keep looking at getting this type of rifle some day. Again I was just wondering.

karcent
02-20-2004, 07:03 AM
http://www.simonov.net/uberlaw.htm

DETACHABLE MAGAZINES:

EXPLANATION: 922(r) prohibits the assembly of a rifle banned from import. 922(v)(1) of Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 44 states that "it shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon". 921(a)(30) of Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 44 legally defines and lists the features that comprise a "semiautomatic assault rifle" . A SKS with a detachable magazine, two other listed features is illegal to possess. July 7th 1989 - "...it shall be unlawful to assemble FROM IMPORTED PARTS any semiautomatic rifle ... which is IDENTICAL to any rifle ... prohibited from importation." April 6, 1998 "It is now a violation ... to assemble any semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept a large capacity MILITARY magazine, if the rifle uses more than 10 imported parts." To me IDENTICAL more or less means interchangeable. A duckbill or adapter style detachable magazine is NOT identical and interchangeable with a AK-47 magazine. NO SKS has ever been imported into the US WITH a detachable magazine other than the AK-47 magazine. It's impossible to make a rifle IDENTICAL to that of the SKS-D (the only detachable magazine SKS) with a magazine other than the AK-47 MILITARY style magazine.

AK-47 MAGAZINES: Illegal on post-ban imported Simonov's. A U.S. made SKS with an AK-47 magazine can be legal but is subject to the limitations outlined in section 922(r).

EXPLANATION: SKS-D's were banned from import on July 7th, 1989 by the Secretary of the Treasury under GEORGE H. BUSH. 922(r) of Title 18 states that it "shall be unlawful to assemble from imported parts any rifle ... which is identical to any rifle ... prohibited from importation", so converting an imported SKS to take this magazine is illegal. However, converting a U.S. made SKS to take AK magazines is legal but under the limitations of 922(r). Pre-ban SKS-D's are legal to possess.

45 acp
02-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Karcent
so converting an imported SKS to take this magazine is illegal. However, converting a U.S. made SKS to take AK magazines is legal but under the limitations of 922(r)

menemenetekelupharsin
20 round clip that will fit a Russian SKS,

M1911A1
I had found a couple of 30 round detachable magazines for my wife's Chinese SKS.

:? :? So now I am really Confused aren't Russian and Chinese imported?

karcent
02-20-2004, 08:24 AM
It's all pretty confusing.
My best advise is to leave the rifle in stock configuration.
If you want a hi-capacity, detachable magazine rifle, buy an AK, AR, M1A or FAL.
You will be legal and have a rifle that actually works and will be easier to sell, if you chose to do that someday.

Other reasons to leave it alone:

you will have a very hard time shooting the rifle prone.

with a little practice you will be able to shoot just as fast feeding the standard magazine from the top with stripper clips.

They work just fine the way they are.

Wolverinesden
02-24-2004, 12:54 AM
I did this mod a couple weeks ago.

This is the page I used to take it down to the point to add a detachable mag.

http://will.mylanders.com/shot/sks/

Once you get it all down (this only takes a couple minutes) you pull the screw out of the side of the stock. This will make the fixed mag well to fall out. Just put it back together and the detachable mag slips right into place. I am beginning to think the fixed mag idea is just as good. Because unless you have a lot of money to spend on detach mags, they just arent practical to use. Because of the bananna shape, stripper clips dont work that well on them. Plus, it takes 2 hands to release the mag once its empty. So, in the time it takes you to reload a 30 rd mag, you could have ran 3 stripper clips into it. I'll probably be going back to the original configuration on my SKS. I agree with the consensus here. If you want detachable mags, get an AK. Its just easier from a legal and ease of use stand point.