PDA

View Full Version : Building an AK

Batman
02-20-2004, 09:16 PM
OK, who's done it before? What's involved? Can you recommend any good videos or tapes or books or whatever so one might be able to do one? Kits are cheap and so are receivers so what the heck! :)

I know that there are stamped receivers and milled receivers. I know that with a stamped receiver you have trunnions on each end of the receiver that get pinned or screwed in. I know that with stamped/trunnion receivers you press the barrel into the front trunnion and I know that the depth of the barrel seat is what sets the headspace. On Milled receivers the trunnion is part of the receiver and the barrel hole is threaded so the barrel is screwed in, setting headspace. Milled costs more, way more, but might be easier to build? Then there are the various 80% complete (non-FFL) receivers. What's up with them?

So, anyone?

Brian
02-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Check out Americangunsmith.com for a vidio about the AK, I don't think they have one about building an AK but they do have one in their Armorors Series that will tell you petty much anything you want to know about the gun and it will likely give you a good idea of what it would take to put one together. The vidio's run about $30.00 and are pretty good quality with a lifetime warenty. You might check out their gunsmithing courses while you're there. Good Luck

Roz
02-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Batman,

There's quite a few proficient AK builders around here. I know of one out in Muskegon/Norton Shores. And a whole slew down in Ohio. I would recommend you check out ak-47.net and akfiles.com for more info.

There's a lot of debate about screwing versus rivets versus welding. I know of a guy who builds using welds, and has put 10,000 rounds through it with no adverse effects. I almost bought a rifle from him. Didn't end up doing it. If you do it, get a OOW heat treated one and go from there.

Maybe we can organize a michigan build, and learn from there. Apparently they're a bit harder than a FAL build, but not by much.

Augie
02-22-2004, 11:43 AM
I have been looking into builind one for awhile but am still trying to gain more info on the subject.

Batman
03-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Well, I have spent lots of time looking into an AK build. I have bought two kits, a Polish folder kit from sportmanguide and a AMD-63 kit from Centerfire Systems. I am also getting two OOW receivers and two Vulcans. I am also going to purchase a few Ace flats as well. Don't know how many AK's I'll end of making but it will be a few. I'm looking at the screw method right now and might try to revit one after a few builds. We'll see...

Since I have a WASR-10 I have an AK that work and is an example that I can use to build from.

Batman
11-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Update....

I have not built my AKs as of yet. I am totally knowledgable in the build process though. I have almost everything needed except I have not decided whether to buy a shop press to remove the barrel pins and barrel or to do the cheapo method and get a bar clamp and turn em out. I'm thinking the clamp as they cost about $25 where as the press from Harbor Freight is $105. However.....

Question....Does anyone know where I might find a used shop press for cheap, say under $50?

Ken D
11-30-2004, 09:25 PM
i removed a bbl from a trunion using a vice and a short 1/4x20 bolt to push out the bbl cross pin, and a long 1/2 bolt and a 2lb hammer to push out the bbl. put some padding like pennies under the bolt to protect the chamber face while you pound it out.

i drilled and tapped the trunions for a screw build, but i question if there are enough threads in the thin section of the front trunion, i may plug weld thru the reciever (like an FNC) just to make sure.

i used a thicker 1.6mm bent blank, which took a lot of filing to fit the trunions, but even without fasteners it is rock solid, the akm is a pretty neat design, a 12 year old in pakistan with a hacksaw and a file can make an akm.

Batman
03-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Well, I'm done. I didn't buy the shop press and I didn't buy the bar clamp. I was able to use my bench press and some build blocks and tools I bougth on the net. I built four AK's in all. One AMD 65, one AMD 63, a Polish underfolder (that works great) and a AK 74. All came out really nice. I didn't like the size of the screws that everyone is using so I did a rivet build on them all. They came out just fine.

Now the bad news...

As originally designed, the AMD 65 and the Polish under folder are illegal in Michigan. I can keep em but I got to disable the folding butt stock.

Bummer.