PDA

View Full Version : DIY built in safe?

Groo
05-26-2010, 01:41 AM
I plan on building a house in the next couple of years.
I was thinking, why not build in a safe of some sort into it?

I was thinking of skicking a piece of galvanized culvert into the basement wall I imagine it running perpendicular to the wall going completely through it. a slight dowward slant, and a cart or something to get stuff in and out. maybe even a bunch of them and use most as root cellars. While I'm dreaming, why not a whole sectret underground room:whistle:

The primary mode of security would be hiding it (there wouldn't even be missing floor space for the vault), with a somewhat light lock too, to keep out lucky snoops and curious kids.

anyone try anything like this?

_DK_
05-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Go deeper and make a sub-basement, complete with fallout shelter/panic room...

Done Deal
05-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Go deeper and make a sub-basement, complete with fallout shelter/panic room...

The tornado shelter is a good idea, there are plans for building those rooms but, not too long ago there was a thread on basement storage and a fireman pretty much asked, "where do you think all the water goes"?

I guess with new construction, there are lots of options and the internet would be a great mechanism for exploring what might fit your particular needs.

For example, in my area, if you went very deep at all, you would need SCUBA gear to even get to your storage room because of the high water table.

pgaplayerless
05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
The tornado shelter is a good idea, there are plans for building those rooms but, not too long ago there was a thread on basement storage and a fireman pretty much asked, "where do you think all the water goes"?

I guess with new construction, there are lots of options and the internet would be a great mechanism for exploring what might fit your particular needs.

For example, in my area, if you went very deep at all, you would need SCUBA gear to even get to your storage room because of the high water table.

tornado shelter in MI seems like a poor investment given the minimal tornado activity we get.

I would built an indoor range/bullets trap into on of the basement foundation walls along with the gun room.

Done Deal
05-26-2010, 07:28 AM
tornado shelter in MI seems like a poor investment given the minimal tornado activity we get.

I would built an indoor range/bullets trap into on of the basement foundation walls along with the gun room.

I would agree except something is sticking in my mind that there were/are some tax incentives for doing something like that. And then....if income tax records were stored there....there may be additional advantages.

As far as a "safe room", the basement thought doesn't sit well with me for some reason....(safe meaning personal safety rather than firearm security).

Remasculated
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12234

Let us know when we can come over and shoot.

(Yeah, he made it into something other than a shooting range, but you get the idea).

pgaplayerless
05-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Here:

(Yeah, he made it into something other than a shooting range, but you get the idea).

dang! bet that wasn't cheap!

Caribou
05-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I've thought about doing a concrete patio, with a room underneath accessible from the basement.

Groo
05-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Here:

well, thats a bit more than I can justify.

besides, were I am planning to build, a range is not needed.

Done Deal
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I've thought about doing a concrete patio, with a room underneath accessible from the basement.

A neighbor has a front porch like that...none of the owners has ever put a vault door on it like was originally envisioned.

Remasculated
05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
well, thats a bit more than I can justify.

besides, were I am planning to build, a range is not needed.

Party pooper.

The guy building that turned it into a home theater. You could put in a pole and bring in strippers for the weekly poker night.

Let me know...

Dansjeep2000
05-26-2010, 06:21 PM
A neighbor has a front porch like that...none of the owners has ever put a vault door on it like was originally envisioned.
We will be breaking ground on our new house in 3 weeks and I have a concrete room under the front porch in the blueprints. I will be adding a vault door to make my dream safe.

Done Deal
05-27-2010, 07:27 AM
We will be breaking ground on our new house in 3 weeks and I have a concrete room under the front porch in the blueprints. I will be adding a vault door to make my dream safe.

Sweet

Caribou
05-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Yours, and everyone else's, dream safe! Way cool! Make sure to post pics when it's done!

Groo
05-27-2010, 10:24 PM

My MIL's house is like that in the back porch, it leaks like a sieve. I did some work before I moved, so I thinks its better now, but there used to be a stream from there to the floor drain every time it rained

be sure you have the drainage well taken care of. I think her's was an add-on, and some corners were cut, or just poorly thought out.

:idea2: if it does leak bad, you could just get a trap door welcome mat and a few pet gators

kevins_garage
05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
There is a thread on ar15.com about a basement vault that the owner of Adco Firearms in OH built into the new house he constructed recently.

The proper way to build a home vault/gun room (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=46&t=295605)

Buzzcat
05-28-2010, 03:32 PM
My MIL's house is like that in the back porch, it leaks like a sieve.

:yeah that:

Not saying that the newly constructed room is guaranteed to leak, but it's always a possibility when below grade.

Maybe consider installing a raised floor or something...

redryderr
05-29-2010, 06:16 AM

Cool, I wanted to do this when I built my first house too but it didn't happen.

mishooter
05-29-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of a guy, so, were I going to do a safe like that I'd want both over-engineered drainage and a bathtub basement.

Godfather JAM
06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
http://www.disastershelters.net/ordering.php
could buy one from them...

this guy have the links to the governements recommendations..
http://www.captaindaves.com/nuclear/

OpenSights
06-02-2010, 02:57 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67387

of course my plans are for an existing house/basement. but you may get some ideas anyhow.

Dansjeep2000
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
My MIL's house is like that in the back porch, it leaks like a sieve. I did some work before I moved, so I thinks its better now, but there used to be a stream from there to the floor drain every time it rained

be sure you have the drainage well taken care of. I think her's was an add-on, and some corners were cut, or just poorly thought out.

:idea2: if it does leak bad, you could just get a trap door welcome mat and a few pet gators
Mine will have a very overbuilt drainage system, 1' raised floor, and my gun racks will be another 3' off the floor. I have sceen what happens to a basement after a house fire, hence the new build.

bryani289swmi
06-03-2010, 11:54 AM
A friend of mine had a separate room with concrete walls and ceiling poured in his new house. Installed a Browning vault door. Thanks.

Bryan

DeadWater
03-28-2011, 03:20 PM
The length of our walk-around porch is a concrete room 8w x 60l x 9h with a steel commercial door. We use it for storage and I shoot bows with the kids in the winter. Airflow in the winter is my biggest problem. The ice-cold concrete lid sweats....alot. I finally installed a dehumidifier and installed 1 1/2" of foam on the ceiling. That helps but still didnt fix the problem entirely. I would not even consider keeping guns in there.

1911AO
03-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Good point DeadWater, Condensation is not good for guns

suesealu
03-29-2011, 11:19 PM
If I were to build I would build an 8x8 room outta block in the basement have it filled and rebarred, then 1/4 inch steel on the out side then another layer of block wall. Then all you need is a steel door with dead bolts into the concrete, possibli one door to each block wall. In response to the condensation problem I'd have everdry or some such company waterproof it, inside and out.

standley70
03-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Love this thread. When my wife and I bought our house I saw an area in the unfinished basement that the builder had put into the foundation under the front porch and steps. When we finished the basement I extended one of the walls and put up a steel exterior door, that opens into the room. Put a schlage electronic deadbolt on it with a key back up. Hinges are on the inside. Has foundation walls on all sides and cement roof. Sealed all joints and holes with expanding foam. Room is 6x8 ft. All the boom sticks and documents inside. Plus room for the family and rations for 8-10 days. All in preparation for the "zombie apocalypse"!!! Great thread, thought I'd share a little bit.
:jailed: