PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Failures

greatguns
02-27-2004, 06:50 PM
I have a friend who is a police officer with a major department out west and he was told the department will not allow them to carry Kimbers because of some undefined failures. Has anyone heard of this and if so what are the failures, my works just great.
Thanks

45 acp
02-27-2004, 07:06 PM
I have not heard of any failures of Kimbers But I do know that many departments prohibit their officers from carrying single action autos and single action revolvers.

ANIMAL
02-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Have had mine for a bunch of years and have had ZERO problems. This is also my carry piece, no problem in condition 1.

Rolex Dr.
02-27-2004, 07:32 PM
go to 1911forum.com

you can read all night on Kimber issues

now i own 3 kimber one of each size and other then the breaking of 3 parts (MIM junk) they never miss a beat

i did have nite sites go bad but that all

JAMie

Brian
02-27-2004, 07:46 PM
I've carried mine for nearly two years and shot a couple thousand rounds through it at IDPA matches for the last three years along with target practice, no problems and no breakage. The LA SWAT Team started Kimbers late last year, I don't they would've bought them with a history of failures.

RSF
02-27-2004, 08:22 PM
i doubt it i checked with friends at tacoma and lapd tonight no troubles there and tacoma was one of the first to issue it ! i think he just doesnt like them maybe or i could be wrong

karcent
02-28-2004, 07:58 AM
Lots of internet rumors and guys who have a minor problem blowing it all out of proportion on the internet do a lot to fuel the fire.
Kimber has enjoyed great success in a short period of time and many are jealous and spiteful.
Any mechanical device can and will fail at some point. None are perfect.
I've heard this story about the PD out west with catastrofic failures a couple of times recently, but no one can tell me what PD they are talking about. It always came from a buddy who knows.
If it's true, I haven't been able to prove it.

Bob_T
02-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Don't forget, all Glocks KB!

(at least according some of the "experts" on the Internet)

banjobart
03-10-2004, 12:25 AM
I blew up two Glocks (ouch!) so I switched to the Springfield XD. Glocks really do blow cartridge cases and grip frames more than any other gun. It is the over-throated chamber combined with the use of reloads and high pressure calibers that does it every time it happens.

Bob_T
03-10-2004, 07:55 AM
I blew up two Glocks (ouch!) so I switched to the Springfield XD. Glocks really do blow cartridge cases and grip frames more than any other gun. It is the over-throated chamber combined with the use of reloads and high pressure calibers that does it every time it happens.

I think I'll stick with 9mm Glocks and factory loads. Were both of yours that KBed .40 caliber?

Big_Jim
03-14-2004, 04:03 PM

What are the chances of one person blowing up two Glocks? Could you go into more detail as to why they blew? What caliber? Model? and what loads were you shooting?