PDA

View Full Version : NICS checks

Red Sector A
02-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Went to buy a gun using my CCW for the first time... the NICS call was made and it was 'delayed' .. the guy said 3 days .. which is up today .. the dealer said that it was still delayed today .. and told me to come in tomorrow and pick up my gun...???

I didnt understand what he was saying but can I buy my gun if the check is still delayed after 3 days?

Anyone with experience with this? Shed some light on this?

Gary Morris
02-27-2004, 11:39 PM
I didn't think they did a nics check if you use your ccw at least I haven't had one done that I know of.

Gary

45 acp
02-28-2004, 05:07 AM
Yes they do a NICS check with a CPL Because the Fed's do not recognize the MI CPL as an alternative to a NICS check.
How ever if you have to drive some distance to buy a handgun get a permit to purchase before you go. The Fed'd do recognize a purchase permit so no NICS check is needed. If you bought a hand gun with your CPL and the dealer did not run a NICS check he could be in deep dodo with the fed's.

As far as being delayed.
I believe that law says --------
When a dealer runs a check and it is delayed the NICS has three days in which to tell the dealer to proceed with the sale or to deniy the sale.
If it is still delayed after three days the dealer can proceed with the sale.

karcent
02-28-2004, 07:51 AM
45 acp is correct. Sale can proceed after three days if there is no response from NICS.

Red Sector A
02-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Yep.. sale went well. Cant believe the check is held up so long without a response. 3 days wasted... but all is well that ends well.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Rob
02-28-2004, 10:19 PM
I had the same problem a couple years ago, I was buying 4 or 5 guns a year and everyone of them was delayed.
I contact the FBI, ATF, MSP Without any help.
I finally got a someone (unnamed) to run a Lien and on me.
And found out there was someone with a simular name and birthdate as me that lives in pontiac.
That person had been charged with what was thought to be a stolen car back in the 80's. He was convicted of a misterminor! which I was told wouldn't stop him from buying a weapon, but it would cause a delay.
I was told that was the problem they had figured, I was told if they really paid close attention they could tell we were 2 different people.
But they never spend to much time on it.
I finally went and contacted the FBI again, To explain what I had found out.
Soon after that I contact my Senator, Congressman and everyone else that I thought might be able to do some good.
I figure it was a waste of time, But it was my right.
The next Gun I bought wasn't delayed, Or any since.
Just complain until someone listens, I guess thats the way to do it.
I wish I could give you advise on how to get someone to run your Lien, and tell you what it means. But I cant.
The FBI wanted to Know how I got that info, but I wasn't about to tell them.
All I can say Is it nice to be owed a favor.