PDA

View Full Version : Using a Purchase Permit to bypass NICS check

Roz
03-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Can anyone tell me what happens if you use a purchase permit issued from your local PD to buy a rifle? Does one have to "register" the rifle if they use the permit? My concern is I'm running out to a dealer who's a fair distance from home, and I've been delayed often enough for me to know that I will be this time too.

Jerry
03-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Roz If I remember right you were delayed once already?

This happened to me two years ago when I tried to purchase a ruger 10/22 rifle.

After that time I have purchased several firearms rifles and shotguns with no delay.

Seems they need time to check you out if you have not had a NICS check recently.

It seems like if you purchase a firearm occasionally it keeps your record current.

(Now I went and did it I probably jinxed myself and will have to wait for the next one!)

:P

JR

Roz
03-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Jerry,

The last 3 times I bought rifles, I was delayed. Granted, there were maybe 6-8 month lapses between each, so I guess that would make sense.

Maybe I can get the wife to use that as a rationale to buy more rifles.

bluethunder
03-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Hey Roz. Welcome to the 'club'. I always get delayed. I usually use a purchase permit to but long guns. The clerks at the PD don't really like it, but, "do your job and don't give me a case of the red-ass............" In fact, they dis-like me getting a purchase permit because I have a CPL. Don't get me started on that one. Just get the permit, go buy your rifle with it,then take the permit back(they REALLY keep a tab on those) back to the PD and say you didn't need it after all. It works for me. PM me if you need more help.

Roz
03-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Bluethunder,

Awesome, that's exactly the info I'm looking for. Yes, they've told me always to bring back expired/unused ones. Wasn't sure if they filled them out or if they simply looked at them and proceeded on.

bluethunder
03-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Bluethunder,

Awesome, that's exactly the info I'm looking for. Yes, they've told me always to bring back expired/unused ones. Wasn't sure if they filled them out or if they simply looked at them and proceeded on.

Glad to be of some help,Roz. I think they keep a log or something on the permits. I had forgotten about one and they 'reminded' me about it, a couple months later.

triggernometry
03-02-2004, 01:23 PM
As a dealer I try to encourage anyone to get a purchasers permit, even those with CCWs. I don't like running NICS because of delays. Some police departments will not issue a purchasers permit to someone they know has a CCW but if they are not told, they don't know. After getting the permit. and if it is used for a long gun, it can just be allowed to expire and does not have to be returned.

bluethunder
03-02-2004, 01:41 PM
As a dealer I try to encourage anyone to get a purchasers permit, even those with CCWs. I don't like running NICS because of delays. Some police departments will not issue a purchasers permit to someone they know has a CCW but if they are not told, they don't know. After getting the permit. and if it is used for a long gun, it can just be allowed to expire and does not have to be returned.

I don't know about where you live, but for me, I went around and around with the PD about issuing me a permit,even though I have a CPL. There is nothing in the State Law that says they cannot give you a purchase permit. I had to have the nice lady at MSP explain it to the clerks at the PD. They(the clerks) didn't want to issue me a purchase permit because it makes more work for them, too bad. Now I have no problems. And as for just letting them expire, as in my previous post, they knew I had a permit outstanding. So they want to keep track of them,somehow. But,like I said, this is only for my PD,Icannot speak about any others.

Jerry
03-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Let me get this straight.....

you go get a purchase permit so you dont have to get the NICS check,

then you dont use the permit?

Is that what you are saying?

I just want to be sure before I go try this out!

:)

JR

bluethunder
03-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Let me get this straight.....

you go get a purchase permit so you dont have to get the NICS check,

then you dont use the permit?

Is that what you are saying?

I just want to be sure before I go try this out!

:)

JR

Yep, for me ,in my particullar case,that's it. I always get delayed.If you don't get delayed, it makes no sense.Therefore, to save a second trip to Marine City, Fenton,Redford Twp, etc. I find it's easier to make 2 trips to the PD instead of the above mentioned places. YMMV, Holiday Inn Express is nice,but I didn't stay there :wink:

Roz
03-02-2004, 03:17 PM
That's what I plan on doing since I live in Oak Park, and routinely travel out to Marine city.

bluethunder
03-02-2004, 03:27 PM
That's what I plan on doing since I live in Oak Park, and routinely travel out to Marine city.

Kurt's a great guy to deal with. Plus, those Gar Burgers can't be beat!

BHP
03-02-2004, 03:31 PM
I too have used a purchase permit for the purchase of a long gun insituations where I travel a considerable distance from home to conduct the transaction.

In my jurisdiction, they do not collect unused permits, nor did they want the permit used for the purchase of the long gun.

Roz
03-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Kent,

Don't forget about the onion rings!!

bluethunder
03-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Kent,

Don't forget about the onion rings!!

Oh yeah, how could I forget those. A meal in themselves! Man, I'm getting hungry,now.