PDA

View Full Version : Trigger pull too light.

joen
03-05-2004, 07:16 AM
Need some advice on increasing the trigger pull on a Colt Government .45ACP. It now breaks just short of 3 lbs; I'd feel better if it were closer to 4 lbs. Any advice would be appreciated and, of course, taken as opinion only; no liability assumed.

I have heard pull can be increased slightly by altering the bend in the leaf spring but I'm not sure which 'leaf' to mess with. I have had some stove piping problems but I believe this was due to limp wristing on those shots.

Thanks.

Joen

Kimber45
03-05-2004, 07:21 AM
I'm no gunsmithing expert but one way to affect trigger pull weight in a 1911 is to change the mainspring. In this case you will want to increase the weight. I don't recall what weight mainspring the Commander has but you can find that out at the Wolff Springs web site and you can order from them.

Tallbear
03-05-2004, 07:35 AM
Did you buy the gun "new"? If not, the owner may have changed the spring to "lighten" the pull.

If you're uncomfortable with doing this (not know what spring) I'd take it to a gunsmith and let him set it to what you want.

Brian
03-05-2004, 09:03 AM
The leaf spring in back of the trigger is the trigger return spring and will have some effect on the pull but you should concentrate on the main spring and the sear angles, main spring first if the sear is ok. A gunsmith should do the sear work but you can do the mainspring at home in about five minutes with simple tools. Caution should be used when working with the leaf spring thay can get pretty finicky and can an effect on several functions.

jmoser
03-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Brian is right - the sear may have been altered to get the trigger down that low. I shoot a Kimber 1911 in Bullseye competition (~3.5 lb trigger) and once had the hammer follow through on recoil - fortunately the half c0ck notch caught it before it slam fired. When I disassebled the gun I cleaned the sear engagement and very LIGHTLY stoned tiny burrs off and it worked fine again. This was with very light target loads, if you are using full power carry loads in your gun you should have a full sear engagement to eliminate any chance of slam firing.

Have an experienced 1911 gunsmith check your sear, if it has been altered changing springs may only hide a bigger potential danger.

Of course if you want to enjoy the experience of full auto .45 ACP slam firing fury, just keep grinding more off the sear . . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

joen
03-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the advice. I believe changing the mainspring(I just did it)will do the trick. The trigger is at about 4.5lbs now; I'll give it a work out next weekend.

I'm the original owner and have put several thousand rounds through it but have never fooled with modifying parts except changing the springs. I never changed the mainspring until just now. If this works, fine; if not, then I'll march it over to someone who knows what they are doing.

I'll share something about changing the mainspring. Using a vise, I used a Dillon case guide pin to depress the spring enough to take the tension off the holding pin and removed it. Changed the spring and reversed the procedure to reinstall it. Found 30 years of caked grease/oil in there that has been cleaned out. Might have contributed to the trigger pull problem.

Thanks again.

banjobart
03-10-2004, 12:19 AM
It is very simple. Bend the center leg of the leaf spring a little bit more towards the muzzle end of the gun. Use a needle nose pliers, very gently. This center leg of the spring will then be pushing back on the trigger bow with more resistance as you pull the trigger, increasing trigger pull and general safety a bit.

It is impossible to screw this up following my directions.

(However, lightening or reducing trigger pull by the reversing this method is tricky and your gun which was previously safe could begin to double or go full auto.)

joen
03-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Well, it doubled on me once this weekend...which is once too much. Time to have that sear/hammer looked at.

thanks.

joen
05-06-2005, 06:17 AM
I took it to Williams Gunsight. 10 days and $66 later, the gun works like new. I have pounded away with for a year now with no doubling or stacking problems. They told me the hammer catch was rounded.

Thinking about this rounded thing, I went back over my records and found where I did have a former shooting pal do some trigger work many years ago. The lesson I learned here is, beyond spring changes, leave the gunsmithing to a real gunsmith.

alex-vitek
05-06-2005, 06:41 AM
The lesson I learned here is, beyond spring changes, leave the gunsmithing to a real gunsmith.
Ah, but real gunsmiths have made mistakes which is how they learned. And, they will still make mistakes. A real gunsmith is ready to stand behind his work and he will work along with you until you are happy with whatever changes or improvements have been done to the gun.

You should bring up the problem to your friend to help him learn more about gunsmithing. He might not make the mistake again on someone else's gun.

joen
05-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Oh, he definitely won't be messing with any more guns; he's dead. Mid 80's car wreck in Ohio.