PDA

View Full Version : Long Range shooting in Michigan

trfisher87
06-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Does anyone know where I can shoot at long range in Michigan?

DocCasualty
06-02-2010, 11:41 PM
May be others, but the only one I know of is Grayling and I don't think there is anything available there outside of sanctioned shoots.

fr3db3ar
06-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Over here on the west side....the longest range I can find is 500. It's an expensive one....so I have to settle for 400

trfisher87
06-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Over here on the west side....the longest range I can find is 500. It's an expensive one....so I have to settle for 400

400 is fine with me where is it at?

7.62 Nato
06-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Maybee Sportsman has 300 yd.

fr3db3ar
06-03-2010, 09:23 PM
400 is fine with me where is it at?

Fennville Rod and Gun. You have to be a member ....but membership is only $40 a year.

miller
06-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Wastenaw Sportsmans Club in Ann Arbor/Ypsi has 600yd. Open practice every Wed. for $5. http://www.washtenawsportsmansclub.org/

shurhouse
06-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Duncan's Outdoors - Bay City - 200yd indoor range.

http://duncansoutdoor.com/ranges.htm

aresbykes
06-04-2010, 06:37 AM
It's not in michigan, but it's close :D

http://youngslongshot.com/index.html

deskjockey
06-04-2010, 08:35 AM
looking for a club to join, because of this I won't

By Order of the Board of Directors of Washtenaw Sportsman's Club.
Effective 5/21/2010 Washtenaw Sportsman's Club requires the use of an Open Bolt Indicator or OBI for all firearms on the rifle and pistol ranges. This includes all formal matches and events and all casual shooting.

pgaplayerless
06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
looking for a club to join, because of this I won't

you wont join over a piece of plastic you insert into a gun that's not in use?

deskjockey
06-04-2010, 10:10 AM
yup, and I also think cold ranges are stupid.

I understand there are people out there that do not know how to handle a weapon, but that shouldnt preclude me from handling one.

JohnS624
06-04-2010, 10:46 AM
yup, and I also think cold ranges are stupid.

I understand there are people out there that do not know how to handle a weapon, but that shouldnt preclude me from handling one.Oh, so you're special? Club officers are volunteers who don't have the time to investigate every shooter and determine what their competence is. Any club has to have blanket rules that apply to everyone. One Negligent Discharge can injure or kill someone, ruining everything.

fr3db3ar
06-04-2010, 10:54 AM

thanks for that link

Super Trucker
06-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Oh, so you're special? Club officers are volunteers who don't have the time to investigate every shooter and determine what their competence is. Any club has to have blanket rules that apply to everyone. One Negligent Discharge can injure or kill someone, ruining everything.

I didn't see where he said he was special. He said he wasn't going to join because he thinks their rules are stupid.

The last I checked this was a free country allowing him to be able to make that choice. Maybe you did not get the memo?

deskjockey
06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I didn't see where he said he was special. He said he wasn't going to join because he thinks their rules are stupid.

The last I checked this was a free country allowing him to be able to make that choice. Maybe you did not get the memo?

My mom always told me I was special :biggrin:

JohnS624
06-04-2010, 02:55 PM

The last I checked this was a free country allowing him to be able to make that choice. Maybe you did not get the memo?Objecting to universally accepted range rules is stupid. They are there for a reason.

rifle guy
06-04-2010, 08:16 PM
At LSC during any rifle match an ECI, empty chamber indicator, is required! With out one you simply don't compete, period! Saftey first, last and always! Not stupid at all! While casual shooting not required but good range practice just the same!

rifle guy @ LSC
CMP Match Director

fr3db3ar
06-04-2010, 08:59 PM

I wrote these people. You have to be a member to shoot...membership is $300 the first year....$200 after that.

musashi
06-04-2010, 09:23 PM
My mom always told me I was special :biggrin:
At the end of the day she is the only one that matters! Hopefully she also told you to always wear clean underwear. That is what mom is for

wrinkledshirt
06-05-2010, 04:58 AM
I wrote these people. You have to be a member to shoot...membership is $300 the first year....$200 after that.

I'm a member there. Deb will negotiate on things. Call the number on the website, it's a cell she always has on her.

ltdave
06-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Effective 5/21/2010 Washtenaw Sportsman's Club requires the use of an Open Bolt Indicator or OBI for all firearms on the rifle and pistol ranges. This includes all formal matches and events and all casual shooting.

lets see:

civilian marksmanship program requires the use of ECIs (empty chamber indicators) for ALL competitors in all CMP matches (either locally or at the National Matches in Ohio every year)...

national rifle association requires the use of ECIs for ALL competitors in all NRA matches (either locally or at the National Matches in Ohio every year)...

competitors there consist of civilians and law enforcement and the ARMY MARKSMANSHIP UNIT, the MARINE CORP shooting team, the AIR FORCE shooting team, the NAVY shooting team, the ALL GUARD shooting team ad nauseum...

these people MAKE THEIR LIVING with firearms and YOURE safer than they are?

im glad youre not considering joining MY association...

oh and for the record, there is only ONE long range range in michigan that im aware of and thats Camp Grayling. long range doesnt start until youre shooting 800yds or longer. 200 to 600 is only medium range...

Super Trucker
06-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Objecting to universally accepted range rules is stupid. They are there for a reason.

They are not "universally accepted" if some think they are stupid and refuse to go.

The "reasons" you mentioned, would they have anything to do with the fear of being sued?

I really don't have a dog in the fight because I don't do that type of shooting, but you jumping on that guy because he thinks the rules are stupid, is well stupid.

I don't go to the DNR ranges because only loading 5 bullets and waiting 5 seconds between shots is to me stupid.
I found someplace else to shoot that I can live with the rules. That is what used to make this a good country, sorry that no longer applies.

trfisher87
06-05-2010, 01:58 PM

I also checked out their web site and it looks like a great range. That being said there is no way I could afford to go shoot there, with the membership,cost of gas there and back, and ammo prices.

JohnS624
06-05-2010, 06:06 PM
They are not "universally accepted" if some think they are stupid and refuse to go.

The "reasons" you mentioned, would they have anything to do with the fear of being sued?

I really don't have a dog in the fight because I don't do that type of shooting, but you jumping on that guy because he thinks the rules are stupid, is well stupid.

I don't go to the DNR ranges because only loading 5 bullets and waiting 5 seconds between shots is to me stupid.
I found someplace else to shoot that I can live with the rules. That is what used to make this a good country, sorry that no longer applies.So you're saying that you don't mind a stranger playing with his gun while you go downrange to check your target?

fr3db3ar
06-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Most ranges....even if they don't use OCI will make you put your weapon of choice in a rack or in a case while people are downrange.

Safety first.....I don't want somebody else shooting me in the testicles

Super Trucker
06-05-2010, 06:58 PM
So you're saying that you don't mind a stranger playing with his gun while you go downrange to check your target?

OK where the hell did you come up with that?

Had you actually bothered to spend a few seconds and read what I posted, I said 2 rules were enough to keep me away from DNR ranges, and the original guy you quoted said he thought the rules were stupid, I didn't bother to ask which rules because it doesn't matter?
If somebody doesn't like something it is OK for them to not spend any money there is it not?

I personally don't need a nanny looking out for me, I am a big boy and can actually make my own decisions. If I don't like rules someplace I do as i have for years and find someplace else to go, simple concept really.

JohnS624
06-05-2010, 07:01 PM
OK where the hell did you come up with that?

Had you actually bothered to spend a few seconds and read what I posted, I said 2 rules were enough to keep me away from DNR ranges, and the original guy you quoted said he thought the rules were stupid, I didn't bother to ask which rules because it doesn't matter?
If somebody doesn't like something it is OK for them to not spend any money there is it not?

I personally don't need a nanny looking out for me, I am a big boy and can actually make my own decisions. If I don't like rules someplace I do as i have for years and find someplace else to go, simple concept really.
Well, the original poster said that he didn't like cold ranges and thought that it was a stupid rule. You agreed with him. So that means that you think it is okay to go downrange while strangers play with their guns.

SSG3K
06-05-2010, 07:20 PM
We have 1200 yards in Lansing. Used to belong to youngs since day 1 Deb is great and will work with you. Its a great range. We have bought alot of armor plates and have made target stands. Nothing like having your own private range. Thats why its great to have your own range no bull***** rules and no idiots around. If we dont know you your not welcome.

Rich

Super Trucker
06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Well, the original poster said that he didn't like cold ranges and thought that it was a stupid rule. You agreed with him. So that means that you think it is okay to go downrange while strangers play with their guns.

Will you quote where I agreed with him about cold ranges, because I am not remembering that.

Common sense says to not have people playing with guns when you are downrange.
But if you have a gun loaded in a holster on your body (not touching it) that means it is not a cold range. If I were to guess that is what the other guy means by not liking cold ranges.

deskjockey
06-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Sorry I didnt clarify my statement, and thank you Super for backing my right to free speech.

Cold ranges are a fine IMO for matches.

But when you pay to belong to a club, and shoot at it, there should not be policies against you carrying a loaded firearm.

So lets say, I decide to hit the range after work at 6:30, I key in my code, and before I walk up to the range I have to unload my carry weapon, how stupid is that?

I NEVER said anything about when there is someone downrange, I meant a cold range where NO loaded guns are allowed.

There is a difference between a cold range and best range practices.

On edit: if the bolt is open, why do you need to stick something down it? This just speaks of more insurance/liabilty BS that is ruining this country

langenc
06-06-2010, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=rifle guy]At LSC during any rifle match an ECI, empty chamber indicator, is required! With out one you simply don't compete, period! Saftey first, last and always! Not stupid at all! While casual shooting not required but good range practice just the same!

rifle guy @ LSC
CMP Match Director[/QUOTE

So no one ever got shot at a range while "casual shooting"??
I suspect that is much more dangerous than an organized event.

fr3db3ar
06-06-2010, 06:23 PM
If we dont know you your not welcome.

Rich

How do we get to know you if we're not welcome :(

JohnS624
06-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Okay, Super Trucker and Deskjockey. Now I see what you mean. You have to remember that this thread was posted under the Competitive Shooting Forum and started talking about the WSC 600yd practices. In organized competitive shooting (and practices) "cold range" and "hot range" are very specific terms.

deskjockey
06-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Right John, sorry for my muddying of the waters.

By Order of the Board of Directors of Washtenaw Sportsman's Club.

I should have bolded that part

pgaplayerless
06-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Sorry I didnt clarify my statement, and thank you Super for backing my right to free speech.

Cold ranges are a fine IMO for matches.

But when you pay to belong to a club, and shoot at it, there should not be policies against you carrying a loaded firearm.

So lets say, I decide to hit the range after work at 6:30, I key in my code, and before I walk up to the range I have to unload my carry weapon, how stupid is that?

I NEVER said anything about when there is someone downrange, I meant a cold range where NO loaded guns are allowed.

There is a difference between a cold range and best range practices.

On edit: if the bolt is open, why do you need to stick something down it? This just speaks of more insurance/liabilty BS that is ruining this country

I HIGHLY doubt they are talking about PD weapon being unloaded. They are talking about the weapons you are fussing around with.

trfisher87
06-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I HIGHLY doubt they are talking about PD weapon being unloaded. They are talking about the weapons you are fussing around with.

Yeah when I first read this it worried me because I always carry concealed on ranges.