PDA

View Full Version : Maverick 88 but it seems out of place

jballen02
06-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Picked up a Maverick 88 from a friend for a really good price. I bought it sight unseen and now I have a few questions. It is stamped Maverick 88 on the frame, but there are some unusual parts.
I have read that the 88 magazine is 3 round with a plug. This is a 6 round magazine? Now I understand that some versions came this way. But the weird part is that I THINK its parkerized. It is gray and semi rough to the touch. On top of the that, the barrel, with limited markings is an is only marked with Accuchoke? (sp?) but is also parkerized perhaps. I think its a 24" barrel.
I can not find ANY cases on the great Google of parkerized 88 from the factory. Mossberg was NO help in the process. Considering this gun has had at least 3 owners, myself included, I suppose it is possible that these were aftermarket parts added, but it seems unlikely. Anyone have any insight on if these were ever parkerized from the factory? Would be a rather unique piece if it did. There are some tool marks on the magazine where someone used a wrench to remove the take down screw :freak:
Thanks!

jballen02
06-03-2010, 08:47 PM
want to add that the frame is NOT parkerized and it is blued.

Dansjeep2000
06-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Post up some pics. I used to have a mav. 88 and have/do own several Mossy 500's