PDA

View Full Version : MI-COPS Fund Raiser / PPC shoot

mitommy
03-22-2004, 06:13 AM
There is a MI-Cops fund raiser / PPC (Police Pistol Combat) shoot coming up. MI-Cops helps the families of Police Officers that have been killed in the line of duty. This is a chance to support a worthy organization and get in a little competitive pistol shooting.

See the information below:

8th Annual MI-COPS* State Pistol Competition
Saturday April 3rd and Sunday April 4th
Time: 9:00 am until 5:30pm both days
Hosted by: Garden City Police Department
6000 Middlebelt, Garden City, Michigan

+ Open to Law Enforcement and Civillians
+ Two categories: Duty (standard issue), Custon (i.e. optics)
+ Both individual and team (2 shooters) in each category
+ Banquet and Awards Presentation following Sunday shoot! (location to be announced)
+ Awards given to all 1st thru 5th place participants. Additional awards given to Police department
+ Law Enforcement traveling trophy will be awarded to Police Department with the most participants
+ Shooters of all skill levels WELCOME!
+ Contact Michael or Kerri Turanik (734) 341-1419 for more information

ยท MI-COPS is an organization that reaches out to the survivors of Michigan's fallen Law Enforcement Heros.

paddy
03-27-2004, 08:35 AM
I'm in. Sent application and check Friday.
This will be my first ever competition.

paddy
04-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Just finished shooting the competition.
Three of us were up for the first line.
The other two guys were federal air marshals.
They shot a 495 out of 500.
I didn't do so well, shot a 488. I was going too fast in the beginning where I had more time, so some shots out of the 10 ring. I settled down when we had to go fast and did better.

The feds were using their issue Sig 229 in 357 Sig.
I used a CZ P-01 in 9mm.

Well that was my first competion shoot.
I have to do this again.

mitommy
04-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Paddy, Im glad you made it and had fun.
If you like the competition shoots you might want to try IDPA. Now that the weather is warming up, there are matches every weekend somewhere in the metro area.

paddy
04-04-2004, 06:52 PM
I was disapointed in my shooting but I guess I didn't do too badly.
I placed 2nd place in civilian duty class.

I didn't pay to close attention, but I think I would have placed 3rd or 4th in LEO division.

Fiddler
04-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Congratulations, Paddy! Tommy is right. You should try IDPA. You'd love it.

mitommy
04-05-2004, 05:45 AM
I was disapointed in my shooting but I guess I didn't do too badly.
I placed 2nd place in civilian duty class.

I didn't pay to close attention, but I think I would have placed 3rd or 4th in LEO division.

Sounds pretty good to me. But I know you have a competitive streak in you. There are regular PPC matches out there that will allow you to practice that style of shooting. It is a little work to find the matches, but I sure someone on this board knows some details.

I seem to remember hearing that ond of the clubs in Livingston county is going to be having PPC shoots this summer. I'll have to look for more details.

paddy
04-05-2004, 05:47 AM

I'm taking an introductory IDPA class on the 24th if the instructor gets back to me. If not, I plan on doing it without the class. Next one you go to, let me know and I will go and you can show me the ropes.

Oh, thanks to Deputy for the top notch instruction. Without it I would not have placed so high.

Fiddler
04-05-2004, 08:10 AM

I'm taking an introductory IDPA class on the 24th if the instructor gets back to me. If not, I plan on doing it without the class. Next one you go to, let me know and I will go and you can show me the ropes.

Oh, thanks to Deputy for the top notch instruction. Without it I would not have placed so high.

That's good to hear, Paddy. The introductory class is a great idea. I would have taken one myself, except that I had previous commitments on both days they were offered, so I had to learn "the hard way." :wink: (It's really not so bad, and I was fortunate enough to have some experienced shooters help me through.) I know the teacher had a waiting list for the 2nd class. Hopefully you'll be able to get in, but if not, I'd be more than happy to show you the ropes, although I'm still learning as well. It would be fun to have you there! You'll find that everyone is very friendly and helpful, especially with new shooters.

You're right about the quality of Deputy's instruction. The basic and advanced skills I learned in my lessons, such as drawing from the holster, tactical and speed reloads, etc have been essential. In addition to that, in IDPA, they really work at offering a variety of realistic scenarios for you to deal with, and many of them are very reminiscent of those we dealt with in Deputy's advanced handgun classes in West Branch. The skills we learned there, such as shooting from cover, shooting on the move, avoiding shooting hostages, shooting multiple targets, and use of cover and concealment are used and tested in every match!