PDA

View Full Version : Oakland County renewal

tb
03-25-2004, 07:46 AM
Has anyone gone in for their renewal in Oakland county yet?
If yes what was the procedure, what do I need.
My permit expires on 7-25 of this year.

bluethunder
03-25-2004, 08:56 AM
No,but I'm due soon too.

SPIKE
03-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Fella's just did my renewal in Oakland, three weeks from start to finish.
Go to County clerks office first and "pay at the window". Take completed
form (original style application form) around behind the Sheriffs office to the new Records Dept. they will take fingerprints and you are outta there.
There is parking right outside their door in back.... VERY PAINLESS.
Nice people, no hassles...Mike

garyjt
05-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Pay at the county clerk? at the 1200 building? cash, check, money order, cashiers check? What do they want? How much?

Jim Simmons
05-25-2004, 10:20 PM
$105. Oakland takes cash, and I believe major credit cards. (Not positive about that.) Money orders and certified checks okay.

ken loftus
05-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Pay at the county clerk office, as Jim said $105 is the amount. Make sure you have a passport picture with you.
The clerk would not take a personal check but will accept MC and VISA.
Then bring your receipt to the sherrif's office across the street. Go in the new entrance, in the rear of the building. Here they look at your receipt, enter the data on your fingerprint card and then scan in your fingerprints.
Entire process took about 45 minutes. Painless.

J 92 Brigadier
05-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Ken Loftus said:
Pay at the county clerk office, as Jim said $105 is the amount. Make sure you have a passport picture with you.
The clerk would not take a personal check but will accept MC and VISA.
Then bring your receipt to the sherrif's office across the street. Go in the new entrance, in the rear of the building. Here they look at your receipt, enter the data on your fingerprint card and then scan in your fingerprints.
Entire process took about 45 minutes. Painless.

Ken, did they ask you for any documentation showing that you completed the review study or range time, or did they simply require you to sign the form saying you did so?

AimHigh
05-26-2004, 01:39 PM
What's this about the AG giving an opinion stating that we do not have to be fingerprinted when applying?? Anyone hear about it?? Sounds good to me.

gjgalligan
05-26-2004, 02:01 PM
What's this about the AG giving an opinion stating that we do not have to be fingerprinted when applying?? Anyone hear about it?? Sounds good to me.

I think that was for a "purchase" permit. Not the CPL.

ken loftus
05-27-2004, 10:41 AM
[quote="J Ken, did they ask you for any documentation showing that you completed the review study or range time, or did they simply require you to sign the form saying you did so?[/quote]

I took the CPL training, again, and presented that certificate to the clerk. Then she started her paperwork. Since my first CPL was issued 12/2001, I thought I needed to take the class again, although the clerk was not sure.
Still got a lot of good information from the shooting and legal portions of the class.

bluethunder
06-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Ken, did they ask you for any documentation showing that you completed the review study or range time, or did they simply require you to sign the form saying you did so?

Just went yesterday, nothing but sign the form. Quick and painless, just the way I like it. And, you don't have to leave your 'piece' in the car while going in for prints at the records dept. They also do 'safety inspections' there. No metal detectors, unless you want to go farther into the jail complex. On the other hand, among the prohibited list of items you can't take into the court house, cell phones with a camera. After unloading all my guns, knives, and other 'implements of destruction' :roll: I still had to make a extra trip to the car to leave the phone. :? Go figure.

joen
07-09-2004, 11:06 AM
1) Go to Clerk's office located on lower level, Building 1200. Note that they are very serious about NO guns or knives in the 1200 Building.Get in line B (at least it was line B when I was there). Just get in the one where everybody is carrying a large yellow envelope similar to the one your application paperwork came in.

2) Have application filled out with required photo. Sign in presence of clerk or representative. Have driver's license and existing CPL(if renewal).

3) Proceed to cashier and have $105 in cash, credit card(Visa,MC) or a bank issued check for $105 made out to 'Oakland County Clerk'. Cash will always work but I have not had problems with bank issued check. Be sure and obtain the receipt as it is required for step 4.

4) Proceed to Building 10, the sheriff's department and jail. Park way in the back as that's where the Record's Department is. They have signs pointing way. They will want to see receipt from Clerk's office, driver's and CPL license. Fill out print card and have prints taken there. You are done.

5) County will contact you when CPL is ready(they say 5-6 months but some have come in much quicker). Good luck.

bluethunder
07-10-2004, 02:21 PM
:biggrin: 5 weeks. That's all it took. Not too bad, I'd say.

joen
07-14-2004, 05:01 AM
I am impressed with Oakland County!

Submitted renewal paperwork on 06/11 and received call yesterday that the CPL is ready for pickup. They even gave the pickup hours; 8AM-11AM and 2PM-4PM, Monday thru Friday at the Clerk's Office.

Given the number of people I saw renewing when I was there, I expected things to be closer to the 5-6 months advertised wait time.