PDA

View Full Version : IDPA April 24th

mitommy
03-30-2004, 02:27 PM
The next IDPA match at the Tri-County Sportsman's League (in Saline) is scheduled for Sat. April 24th. There are 2 time slots 12:15 pm and 3:00 pm. They will also be running a classifier. For more info Check out Tri-County's web site http://tri-countysportsmansleague.org

Time slots are 12:15 pm (just a few openings left) and 3:00 pm.
To reserve a time slot (they fill up fast) contact Chris Brenner at cbrenner@umich.edu

All you need is your carry pistil, a holster, mag pouch, mags (3 is good 4 is better) and 120 rounds of ammo (usually 100 is enought). If you ar new, just get there a little early to look around. At sign up tell then you are new and they'll help you out.

Fiddler
03-30-2004, 09:55 PM
IDPA is great because you get to have fun while improving your skills. When I first started thinking about IDPA, all I really knew was that it was competition with realistic scenarios. However, the emphasis is really on the learning experience. You learn how you react to stressful situations so you can improve upon that, as well as having the opportunity to improve upon your skills. It is said that if you are ever in a self defense situation, you will automatically default to your training. IDPA is a good supplement to your training, and a good way to practice how you would react to a variety of situations.

I participated in the match this past weekend, and there were a wide variety of scenarios presented, from the board room to the gas pumps to living room and kitchen. I learned a lot, but I had a lot of fun too.

If you've thinking about participating in IDPA, and you're just not sure if you're ready, just come on out with your gear and give it a try! You'll be glad you did!

Red Sector A
04-06-2004, 04:32 PM
I am going to be there.. already set for the 3:00pm time period. Will be my first time participating. Went out last month and watched some shooters and it seemed like fun. Hope to meet some of you out there.

Red Sector A
04-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Well.. it was great.. I know I messed up on a couple of stages... the long ones at least... did better on the last few stages... I had a blast! (Pardon the pun) I am definately going to join the IDPA.

I met Mitommy ... was one of my SOs... did anyone else on here make it out to Tri-county yesterday?

Glkster19
04-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Buddy of mine and I were there. Shot 3pm also, did the noon classifier also, finally classified now.

Fiddler
04-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Red Sector A, I'm glad you enjoyed shooting, and plan to join IDPA. I just got my membership materials a few weeks ago. I wasn't able to participate in the match yesterday as I was teaching a class, but I will be at other events, so hopefully we'll run into each other. I'm glad you met MiTommy. He's a great guy, and it's always nice to see a friendly face.

Glkster19, I'm glad you made it out as well, and that you classified. I need to do that as well, now that I've participated in a few matches.

There is a match every weekend of the month, depending on when and where you want to shoot.

Linden Sportsmens Club - First Saturday
Livingston Conservation (Brighton) - Second Saturday
Linwood Bay Sportsman's Club - Third Saturday
Tri-County Sportsmans League (Saline) - Fourth Saturday
Capitol City Rifle Club (Lansing) - Fourth Saturday

mitommy
04-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Red Sector & Glkster19, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I find it to be lost of fun. It is really great to see people shoot different scenerios. Some of the are easier than others, but they all offer challenges. Yesterday my shooting was terrible. I diden't even see one threat on the 1st stage. My long range was ok but I wasn't to accurate on the close stuff. But I still had fun. Tri-County is my club, and I work most of the events there. I hope to get out to some of the other clubs this summer.

Perhaps we could get together and get registered into the same grouping sometime.

Fiddler
04-25-2004, 07:43 PM
That would be fun. Maybe we could try to get an MGO squad together. I know of one member who was planning to take the IDPA class at Livingston, and a few more have been talking about trying IDPA.

Red Sector A
04-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Well I am all scheduled to shoot on May 22th at 12:15pm ... cant wait.. I will join the IDPA then.. The scores are up now and I was happy with my performace.. got 2nd in the SSP/UN so for the first time that wasnt bad.. I made some early mistakes with 'failure to neutralize' and hitting the cover or the non-threats.. (I thought they were collaborators :lol: ) .. overall it was good and there is always room for improvement.

Hope to see some of you out there on the 22th. I think I am hooked :D

Fiddler
04-26-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm scheduled to attend a refuse to be a victim instructor seminar on May 22. I'm finding it challenging trying to balance the IDPA shoots with my other training and teaching. I'd like to be able to shoot more! That's why I like the fact that there's a place to shoot every weekend. I may try to make the shoot in Linden this weekend. I noticed there are still quite a few slots left. Is anyone else considering shooting in Linden? I hear they really know how to put on a match!

Jim Simmons
04-26-2004, 11:15 AM
That would be fun. Maybe we could try to get an MGO squad together. I know of one member who was planning to take the IDPA class at Livingston, and a few more have been talking about trying IDPA.

Tell us about classes? I've shot IDPA at Livingston a couple of times, and I should probably join IDPA, too. But this is the first I heard of a class.

Karcent, didn't you mention that Blue Water Sportsmen's also conducts IDPA shoots?

Fiddler
04-26-2004, 12:33 PM
I thought that it was posted on our board somewhere, but I could be mistaken. I actually found it while surfing the web trying to find out more about IDPA. Basically, Dave Johnson at Livingston offered an Introduction to IDPA class in March. It was so popular that he scheduled another one in April. The class was intended for those who have never shot IDPA or those who have shot one or two matches and still don't feel comfortable with their skill level, IDPA rules, etc.

Here's a link about the class if you'd like more info. I don't know if Dave will be offering any more classes this year, but I'm sure you can find out.

http://www.lcsa.info/firearms/idpa%20class.htm

I was hoping to attend the class, but I was scheduled for other classes both days so I was unable to attend. I know it would be helpful to go over rules, procedures, and to be walked through a few scenarios. You can never have too much training! However, I seem to be doing alright so far, although I've been shooting with my sig239 and people keep telling me I'd do even better with a glock34! :wink: I will say that Deputy's instruction was excellent preparation for IDPA, and the RSOs at Tri-County (including mitommy) have been really great about explaining rules and procedures as well as giving suggestions for improvement. I haven't ventured out to the other clubs yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Let me know if you decide to sign up for a match. Maybe we can get a squad together!

Fiddler
04-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Well I am all scheduled to shoot on May 22th at 12:15pm ... cant wait.. I will join the IDPA then.. The scores are up now and I was happy with my performace.. got 2nd in the SSP/UN so for the first time that wasnt bad.. I made some early mistakes with 'failure to neutralize' and hitting the cover or the non-threats.. (I thought they were collaborators :lol: ) .. overall it was good and there is always room for improvement.

Hope to see some of you out there on the 22th. I think I am hooked :D

Me too! FYI - I asked the guy signing in shooters at Tri-County if I could join IDPA at the match, and he said I was better off to send the application through the mail. You can also fax it in. Here's a link with membership info.

http://www.idpa.com/membership/apply.htm

Red Sector A
04-26-2004, 06:17 PM
The guy signing up people at Tri-County said that the club got a discount for members they signed up and said we could do it there. I guess it doesnt matter unless one way is faster than the other. :?

Fiddler
04-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Weird. I had my application and check all ready to go but was told I'd be better off mailing it. I guess it depends on who you talk to. :?

paddy
04-27-2004, 04:53 AM
Thanks to Fiddler's original posting on the class, I was able to attend the class on the 24th. Great class. They preach safety-safety-safety. I got lost a couple of times when the COF required a triple-tap, I did a double tap. Tried to go too fast and accuracy suffered. I have to fall back on what I know about auto racing, sometimes you have to slow down to go fast. Some safety calls were called by the RSO's as we were all new and a bit overwhelmed. I felt good that I was never called once on a safety issue. Finally somewhat put it together on the last stage and was second fastest in our squad, one shot out of the "0" and one second behind the faster guy. Over all a very good introduction course and everyone was very helpful.

paddy

I thought that it was posted on our board somewhere, but I could be mistaken. I actually found it while surfing the web trying to find out more about IDPA. Basically, Dave Johnson at Livingston offered an Introduction to IDPA class in March. It was so popular that he scheduled another one in April. The class was intended for those who have never shot IDPA or those who have shot one or two matches and still don't feel comfortable with their skill level, IDPA rules, etc.

Here's a link about the class if you'd like more info. I don't know if Dave will be offering any more classes this year, but I'm sure you can find out.

http://www.lcsa.info/firearms/idpa%20class.htm

Fiddler
04-27-2004, 09:01 AM
I'm glad to hear it worked well for you, Paddy! I wish I could have been there! So when's your first match? Maybe we can try to be on the same squad.

paddy
04-27-2004, 06:02 PM
I'm glad to hear it worked well for you, Paddy! I wish I could have been there! So when's your first match? Maybe we can try to be on the same squad.

I'm ready to give it a try though I'm sure that I will make a fool of myself. I have alot to learn. Let me know the next one you are in and I will see if I can make it. I have to work some weekends and the rest of the Sundays I race my Miata. Are most of the matches on Saturdays? I might be able to do a few, much more than that and I will be looking for a new wife.

paddy

Fiddler
04-27-2004, 06:31 PM
I doubt you'll make a fool of yourself, Paddy. I've seen you shoot! Besides, you did great at the MI-COPS fundraiser shoot! I think most people feel the same way you do the first time they compete in a match, but the fact is that we're all there to learn and we all have to start somewhere. You actually have an advantage, having been through the class already.

Yes, the matches are usually on Saturdays. They also hold practices in Linden on Wednesdays at 6:00. It would be a bit of a challenge for me to get there by 6:00, but it might be worth it on occasion. From what I understand, they let you practice the stages as many times as it takes to get it right.

I'll let you know next time I'm planning to shoot, but I sure don't want to get you in trouble with the wife! :shock: