PDA

View Full Version : .380 pistol

Red Sector A
03-30-2004, 05:17 PM
My wife is considering carrying and she is thinking of a .380 pistol. She I has looked at some of the Beretta, and Bersa models. She really likes the look and feel of the Bersa Firestorm.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bersa models? Can anyone input on good or bad of the .380 models? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Fred Mager
03-30-2004, 05:23 PM
I have had several Bersa models including a .380. Currently I have one of the new .45's. Bersa makes a quality product at a good price. They will shoot about any kind of ammo and rarely fail or break. It's a good buy. The 1st rule of gunfighting is to use a pistol that works every time and the Bersa is one such. It's not something that will give you 1" groups at 50 yards but it is accurate. You certainly could do worse. PS I don't own stock in them or own a gun store! I am a little hesitant about the caliber as I'm leery of using a .380. Have her rent a 9mm one at the firing line and see how she likes it. My opinion only!

CS40
03-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Don't forget about the Sig P232 as well, a very nice firearm...

Kouger
03-30-2004, 07:18 PM
I own a Bersa 380 and a firestorm 380 which she is welcome to try both. both are fine guns and have yet to have a fail to feed or eject that wasnt my fault or the fault of someone shooting it.

let me know if you 2 are entertaining the idea of wanting to shoot them. I shoot at the firing line. wolverine...........have been to top gun and am a member at tri counties sportsmans league

Kurgan
03-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Instead of the short 9mm (.380) have you mentioned to your missus that a 9mm might not be a bad choice? Glock 26 or one of the micro sized Kahr's might be a good choice too. Just trying to expand the option list, not condemning anyone's choice of caliber or manufacturer.

Wolverinesden
03-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Myself I own an AMT .380

Its about about the size of the seecamp.

It has a 5 rd + 1 setup. and one mag. Its a really nice, functional gun. As far as accuracy, its good enough to punch holes in a perp in a normal self defense situation. Only 2 complaints. 1. when you get an aftermarket mag, it doesnt sit properly untill you cycle it a couple times. they just arent cut right from the factory. 2. it doesnt lock open once the ammo is spent.

jmoser
03-30-2004, 09:46 PM
I had a vintage 1989 Beretta 380 (Model 83 or 85?) it was a very nice gun, but I found the recoil of the .380 to be suprisingly sharp for such a light cartridge. I think the 9mm Parabellum would be an equal choice, especially with the compact models available today. I would only go with the .380 in a super compact gun like the Walther PPK style. Test shoot a 9mm side by side before getting the .380.

Jerry
03-30-2004, 09:53 PM
I own a Bersa 95 and I like it.

There have been no fail to feed or fail to fire.

Nice gun with a nice little beaver tail to stop me from getting the slide across the web of thumb and forefinger.

Small enough to carry with light clothing and powerful enough to get the job done at close range where most self defence confrontations occur.

Just my opinion.....JR

45 acp
03-30-2004, 09:58 PM
I also have a bersa vintage Mod.83 and a friend got his daughter a new Thunder model both function flawlessly.
I bought a Kahr K 40 last fall as I have some reservations about the .380 cal
The Kahr is the same size as the Bersa except it is about a quarter inch wider and it is a 40 S&W Cal If she can handel a .40 take a seroious look at the Kahr. Also as above the Sig 232 in a .380 is a great gun also.

Toxie
03-30-2004, 10:36 PM
I have a Beretta 85 that is my wife's gun and a Sig P232.

Both extremely quality guns, the beretta holds one more, and the sig is more compact. Both are extremely high quality guns, and very accurate.

Rock
03-31-2004, 09:22 AM
I know you asked about a .380, but this Kahr PM9 has far more stopping power and is as small or smaller than many .380's. I prefer a more potent caliber than .380 but it's better than nothing if that's what you decide on.
http://www.kahr.com/images/pm9093.gif

Fred Mager
03-31-2004, 10:22 AM
IMHO

I have 2 Kahr's. They're great guns but if you read the manual you'll see that the factory says the gun isn't broken in until you put 500 rds through it!! So I would suggest that if you like the Kahr buy a used one from a reputable shop. They are extremely well made and very tight when new so there isn't any reason to avoid a used one per se. Also people who buy them tend to keep them so there isn't much difference in price between a new one and a used one. But there's a world of difference in shooting the two. I know you're more or less set on a .380 but the 9 would give you much more defensive strength.

Gary Morris
03-31-2004, 01:16 PM
I know I will probably be the only one feeling this way but, for $150 to $200 you can buy a Makarov 9X18 that will out shoot any of the pistols mentioned and are probably one of the most accurate pistols on the market.

Take a minute and go to www.Makarov.com and also go to

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

it is the Makarov forum and read up on these pistols.

Gary

Rock
03-31-2004, 08:52 PM
The break in for the Kahrs are 200 rounds.

Browning Fanatic
03-31-2004, 09:14 PM
I have a Browning BDA .380 (Beretta 84), and have been very happy with it's accuracy and never a failure to feed. I also have a brand new Kahr K40 (300 rounds through it, broke in), first 7 rounds in the black 15 yards. I would highly recommend either, but I prefer the .40 for the more obvious stopping power. My wife can't handle the .40, but can shoot the .380 great. It all goes back to what the person can handle comfortably and safely.

GreggB
04-01-2004, 04:20 PM
I have a Bersa Thunder in .380 and my wife likes it. It is my summertime pocket carry gun (in a Desantis pocket holster). Never had a problem with it but I have only put 1500-2000 rounds through it.

Red Sector A
04-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Wow... thanks for all the input everyone!

Kouger .. thanks for the offer.. I might like to take you up on that offer if your available. .. when and where would be good for you.. I dont know where you are.. but I am closest to TopGun .. but willing to go to any of the ranges that is convienent for you. .. my wife is looking forward to shooting either of those Bersas

gjgalligan
04-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Don't overlook a small wheelgun.

A .38 snubbie might be just the ticket for her.
I've never had a wheelgun jam.......

J 92 Brigadier
04-01-2004, 07:49 PM
I have several carry guns, but my favorite is my Kel-Tec P-3AT. Its the lightest you can buy, low cost and I have found it to be very reliable even during the break in period. Simply clean and oil it before going to the range for the first time.

enfield
04-01-2004, 09:23 PM
My wife (5' 2") found the Bersa too large to carry comfortably in the available holsters. She's now carrying a NAA Guardian .380 in an R.L. Graham IWB holster. Very deep carry with this holster -- the entire grip of the pistol is below the waistband, if you wish it to be. (No, it doesn't stovepipe on the last round).

The Bersa is a fine pistol and a great value, but it just wasn't right for her. Like said earlier, the Bersa, among others, is a large pistol for its caliber. You can carry a much smaller .380, or a much larger caliber in the same size pistol. If you can comfortably carry a pistol of that size, seriously consider a .40 or .45. IMHO.

PS - the Bersa Thunder and the Walther/S&W PPK are practically the same size. The PPK looks smaller, but it isn't. We've owned both.

Kouger
04-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Pm sent

Al Lowe
04-02-2004, 11:57 PM
I know I will probably be the only one feeling this way but, for $150 to $200 you can buy a Makarov 9X18 that will out shoot any of the pistols mentioned and are probably one of the most accurate pistols on the market.

Take a minute and go to www.Makarov.com and also go to

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

it is the Makarov forum and read up on these pistols.

Gary
I agree whole heartedly Gary. I have a Bulgarian Mak that I got at the Darkside Annual Meeting/Family day for $149.00, and it was the best money I ever spent....except for the 170.00 and trading in my Taurus PT940 for the Firestorm Gov't .45. :-)

Fiddler
04-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Don't forget about the Sig P232 as well, a very nice firearm...

That's true! I am a woman of 5'3" and as many people know, I love my sigs, and own several in 9mm. However, I love my P232 in 380 for a backup. It's a great firing little gun, and it's extremely accurate and reliable. I have never had a problem with any of my sigs. I also own an H&K P7PSP and a Smith and Wesson Lady Smith in 38 special. I see you are making arrangements for your wife to try Kouger's Bersas, and that's great. I'd also be more than happy to allow your wife to try any of my pistols if she ever has an interest.

garyjt
04-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Don't overlook a small wheelgun.

I agree completely. A 5 shot smith with a 3 inch barrel is near perfect.

but if you cant have a revolver for some unkown reason, and are limited to only having an auto, spend another $100 and get the Berretta(you will get it back at resale).

kbondra
04-20-2004, 07:44 PM
I would get the Kel Tec P3AT. It is extremely light and there is no manual safety, it is the best small carry gun on the market.

kbondra
04-22-2004, 01:04 PM

I felt the same way until my brand new Smith & Wesson 629 jammed on the 27th round ever shot through it.

The fireing pin broke through the primer and totally jammed the gun, you could not pull the trigger or open the action. I had to use a small screwdriver to move the fireing pin slightly so that I could open the action and unload it.

The gun would no longer fire.

I sent it back to Smith and Wesson and they replaced the fireing pin and the fireing pin bushing.

J 92 Brigadier
04-30-2004, 07:48 PM
I think. I was the one firing kbondra's "wheel gun" when it broke. Here I am using his brand new S & W 44 magnum, "the most powerful gun in the world", and it breaks. Not only does it break, but we had a heck of a time removing the bullet. That's when I too lost my opinion that wheel guns are significantly more reliable than autos.

Toxie
04-30-2004, 10:11 PM
I been at the range (the county range) when 2 wheelguns began spitting lead (big chucnks too) back at the shooter. Misaligned cylinders. #3 for wheelguns being more reliable a myth.

alex-vitek
05-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Misaligned cylinders. #3 for wheelguns being more reliable a myth.
Ah, but does that not actually prove that wheelguns are more reliable. The revolver continued to function, did it not. What more could you ask for in a real fire-fight.

Jerry
05-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Misaligned cylinders. #3 for wheelguns being more reliable a myth.
Ah, but does that not actually prove that wheelguns are more reliable. The revolver continued to function, did it not. What more could you ask for in a real fire-fight.

Not to mention there seems to be alot more talk on the boards about fail to feed and fail to fires with a semi-auto then with a wheel gun.

If it is mechanical it CAN fail......the trick is to find a equalizer that will not fail you in your time of need.

Ideally a semi-auto for the high capacity and a wheel gun back you up just incase.

Toxie
05-04-2004, 10:08 PM
The revolver continued to function, did it not. What more could you ask for in a real fire-fight.

Yeah, and I pulled a 1/8 inch peice of lead from the side of her neck. If it had been in her eye, she would have been blind in one eye right now.

I was just pointing out that wheelguns CAN and will fail too. I've heard more then one crusty old cop say that they prefer a revolver because they don't jam. Conversely, I've never seen an auto spit lead peices back at the shooter with enough force to puncture skin.

As the other guy said- it's all mechanical and all such things will have failures.

kbondra
05-10-2004, 10:09 AM
I bought a brand new Taurus 357 mag a few years ago, as I was shooting it my friend standing next to me shouted, "Something hit me in the forehead". I looked and the front of his head was oozing blood so I got out my knife and did major field surgery, removed a piece of copper metal jacket from his forehead, gave him a kleenex from my pocket and told him to apply direct pressure on the wound. Luckily his skull stopped the fragment.

Then we resumed shooting.

ExtremeDooty
05-10-2004, 01:33 PM

I think not. I am now the proud owner of her snubby.
It's a real shame she didn't like that gun. :biggrin:

coyotecazador
09-20-2009, 02:31 PM
you may want to take her to a nicer gun shop with a range, and have her shoot some different handguns...

Quaamik
09-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I'd look at the Kel Tec P3AT, the Ruger LCP and the Sig P238. The first two are really small & lightweight .... what I'd call "shirt pocket" guns. The last one I just saw at the show yesterday. It appears to be a close copy of the old Colt Mustang but with a different slide exterior profile. It's not a lot larger, but noticably heavier. Controls are standard 1911. If recoil is an issue, the added weight might tame it down some.

Big_Jim
09-20-2009, 02:47 PM

RevDerb
09-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I wondered why I didn't recognize most of the names. :rofl: :rofl:

Big_Jim
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM