PDA

View Full Version : antigun conspiracy?

rickmasters
04-16-2004, 12:16 PM
I have noticed that the selection of gun magazines has dwindled to almost nothing at the grosse pointe borders i.e. they don't even have Guns and Ammo anymore. I spoke to the manager and he said it is based on sales of magazines. I told him that is interesting because there are over 80 million gun owners in the US and I would think they could sell a few copies of G &A. I also noted that there are several magazines on very obscure tipics like model train collecting etc. He said he will try and get Guns and Ammo again. The borders at 7 and Mack which is only a mile from the borders has a huge selection of gun magazines including SOF. I will take all of my business to barnes and noble and let the management there know why. I think this is a great grassroots opportunity and hope you will all do the same with your local booksellers. Any comments? Thanks.

karcent
04-16-2004, 02:01 PM
Both B & N and Borders are known to be pretty anti-gun. I'm surprised they carry any gun mags at all.
I buy my gun rags at the small mom & pop book store on 13 and little mack. (don't remember the name)

RS2
04-16-2004, 02:41 PM
The Borders on Orchard Lake Road south of 14 Mile in Farmington Hills always has several gun magazines, and the Barnes & Nobles on Orchard Lake between 14 and 15 in West Bloomfield carries even more. There's a clerk at the B&N that usually makes friendly and favorable comments when I check out with a load of magazines there.

Ron

Roger Roney
04-16-2004, 04:55 PM
I buy my gun rags at the small mom & pop book store on 13 and little mack. (don't remember the name)New Horizons. Middle of the strip mall on the Northeast corner.

karcent
04-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks, Roger! I go brain dead sometimes with names.

Dale
04-16-2004, 06:56 PM
I am in Barnes & Noble at Mack-7 all the time and they do have a good selection of gun and knife magazines. The big surprise for me was the Kroger at Marter Road and Jefferson which even carries The Shotgun News!

Borders seldom has anything I am looking for and I don't go in the store unless my wife is stalking other Village stores hunting prey.

I get most of my gun and knife magazine in the mail.

J 92 Brigadier
04-16-2004, 08:47 PM
It would seem most likely that the areas formerly referred to as "yuppie" areas (the Pointes, Birmingham, Bloomfield, etc,), with Starbucks and plenty of the upper class Democrat liberals, would not allow gun magazines on their shelves. On the other hand, some of the posts here prove otherwise. I was recently surprised to see shotgun and other gun publications in the newsstand at Borders in Utica.

Diverdave
04-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Not long ago, I was at a CVS drug store. They were then selling G&A. As I was checking out at the pharmacy counter, the clerk who was an older, sort of stern looking lady with her glasses at the end of her nose, looked at the mag and up at me. She broke out into a big smile and pointed to one of the pistols on the cover and said "my husband just bought one of those (S&W or something) and I love it!" We then had a nice conversation about different guns. One never knows!
Diverdave

J 92 Brigadier
04-17-2004, 09:50 AM
When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, guns were what the good guys wore including soldiers, cowboys and cops. You were given a toy gun or BB gun as a birthday or Christmas present. It was normal to play army or cowboys & indians or cops and robbers. Now, kids sit in front of a TV and play video games with level of violence that would never have been accepted back then. It's not the guns that are bad.

kbondra
04-20-2004, 07:47 PM
When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, guns were what the good guys wore including soldiers, cowboys and cops. You were given a toy gun or BB gun as a birthday or Christmas present. It was normal to play army or cowboys & indians or cops and robbers. Now, kids sit in front of a TV and play video games with level of violence that would never have been accepted back then. It's not the guns that are bad.

I agree, but people do not want to accept any responsibilty these days. They blame the gun for violent crime instead of realizing that there is a problem with society.

Glockslinger
05-06-2004, 04:55 AM
Both B & N and Borders are known to be pretty anti-gun. I'm surprised they carry any gun mags at all.
I buy my gun rags at the small mom & pop book store on 13 and little mack. (don't remember the name)

Hey -- I didn't know you lived so close to me! (Or do you just get out my way often?)

darkside852003
05-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Zazz at 9 Mile and Harper has a good selection. All the local mom and pop stores have G&A.

alex-vitek
05-15-2004, 08:04 AM
Sales volume does have a lot to do with whether a magazine is carried. If the neighborhood will not support a particular title, like GUNS AND AMMO, by buying the magazine every month then the distributor and the store will pull it and use the room for something else. This is how the introduce new magazines to the public to see what will sell.

I frequent New Horizons and it does have a large selection of magazines.