PDA

View Full Version : Jenney on the block

G22
04-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Our Gov. Jenny was just on am760 & spoke briefly about the dove hunting issue.

What she wants is to comprimise... :roll:

She said she is not a hunter or a bird watcher, and only wants to allow dove hunting in limited test areas around the state. She said her comprimise would ban dove hunting in 90% of michigan.

She needs to hear from more of us.

Maranatha
04-21-2004, 07:00 AM
100% of the Dove Hunters hunting on 10% of the land.

G22
04-21-2004, 07:33 AM
100% of the Dove Hunters hunting on 10% of the land.

Its goin' to be a bit crowded, and once the shootin starts...wont be many birds around. :ar15: :ak: :mg: :ak2: :bigun2:

cliffd
04-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Hello............................

I think that it should be easy to accodomate her request for a compromise.

I am just speculating here, but I would venture a guess that ALL of the PUBLIC land in Michigan where we would be allowed to hunt does not constitute more than 10% of the land mass. If it does, then hey, let's compromise. If my guess is true, then we can easily meet her request.

This does not, and should not, include any consideration for private land. The simple fact is that private landowners should be able to do what they want, within the confines of the law.

G22
04-21-2004, 12:53 PM
and only wants to allow dove hunting in limited test areas around the state.

I dont think private land is on her list of limited test areas.

cliffd
04-21-2004, 02:39 PM
and only wants to allow dove hunting in limited test areas around the state.

I dont think private land is on her list of limited test areas.

I am sure you are probably correct.

I was in a hurry earlier and may not have made my point very well.

If she wants to limit hunting to only 10% of Michigan then that may very well mean that 10% of Michigan == ALL of the available public hunting land if all public hunting land accounts for 10% or less than the total land mass of Michigan.

Splitting hairs, perhaps, but hey sometimes you have to think like them to play with them.

Bob S
04-21-2004, 06:32 PM
West of U.S.-23 and south of I-94 -- five entire counties and parts of seven others.

Governor considers trial dove hunt

Compromise could break impasse in Legislature
April 21, 2004

BY ERIC SHARP
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Gov. Jennifer Granholm is seriously considering a compromise that would allow an experimental dove hunting season in southern Michigan. The hunt, which would be held in a handful of counties near the Ohio and Indiana borders, would be reviewed after three years.

Hunting groups have been pushing for a statewide season that would make Michigan the 40th state where dove hunting is legal. Animal rights activists have opposed those efforts.

The compromise was proposed by Sam Washington, executive director of Michigan United Conservation Clubs. It has received enough attention from Granholm that animal rights groups in Lansing and Washington have reminded her of a pledge to veto any dove bill, and that breaking it could cost her in her next election bid.

Elizabeth Boyd, the governor's press secretary, said Tuesday that the MUCC proposal "seems like a reasonable solution" to the impasse over a bill stalled in the Legislature.

"Even more interesting is that the Natural Resources Commission has signaled its approval" of the compromise, Boyd said.

The compromise was praised by dove hunting proponents and Keith Charters, chairman of the state Natural Resources Commission, which would set the bag limits, season and regulations.

Under the proposal:

The Legislature would pass a dove bill that would not be subject to a referendum in November.

The Natural Resources Commission would set a three-year fall season of short duration in the area west of U.S.-23 and south of I-94 -- five entire counties and parts of seven others. The area is near the borders of Ohio and Indiana, which allow dove hunting.

Part of a dove hunting license (suggested at $2) would be used to buy and improve wildlife habitat.

After three years, the Natural Resources Commission would study the impact on Michigan's dove population to decide whether the hunt should continue.
A dove bill passed the state Senate last month and was returned to a conference committee for concurrence by the House. But Granholm, a Democrat, said she would veto the bill unless it allowed for a referendum on dove hunting in November. The Republican-controlled Legislature has refused to send the bill to her desk with a referendum attached.

Charters, from Traverse City, said he liked the incremental approach proposed by MUCC.

"I think that we should reclassify doves from songbirds to game birds," Charters said. "I'm also a firm believer that you should walk before you run."

Eileen Liska, a spokeswoman for the Michigan Humane Society, said she would urge Granholm to reject the proposal.

"This is not acceptable," Liska said. "People in this state don't want doves shot, and that includes most hunters.

"Rarely have I seen an issue where there's no room for compromise and wiggling around, but there's no wiggle room in this. Doves have been protected as songbirds here for 100 years. I believe people have a legitimate right to go out and hunt and put food on their tables, but no one is going to feed their family on doves. It's a delicacy."

Supporters of a hunt say mourning doves are the most popular U.S. game bird and are hunted in states bordering Michigan.

Word of the compromise prompted the Humane Society of the United States to release a 2001 questionnaire in which Granholm said she would veto any dove bill that passed the Legislature, as well as any bill that transferred power to designate game animals from the Legislature to the NRC.

"Hundreds of thousands of Michiganders voted for Gov. Granholm because she pledged not to support a dove hunting season," said Wayne Pacelle, senior vice president of the group.

Two studies show that about 4 million mourning doves migrate out of Michigan each fall, although many others spend the winter. The national population fluctuates between 400 million to 500 million, making doves among the most numerous of American birds. Liska said those studies have been manipulated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and dove hunting proponents to mask decreases in dove numbers in some places they are hunted.

Contact ERIC SHARP at 313-222-2511 or esharp@freepress.com.