PDA

View Full Version : Selling guns - Private sales

Red Sector A
04-29-2004, 08:18 PM
What is the procedure if I.. not an FFL dealer... wants to sell a gun to a private citizen? Does the person need a purchase permit .. or CPL.. what forms would I need and what would I have to do in order to sell a handgun of mine? Is it legal or would I have to go through a FFL?

Thanks!

Ken P
04-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Does the person need a purchase permit .. or CPL..

Yes...one or the other.

what forms would I need and what would I have to do in order to sell a handgun of mine?

If they have a CPL you/they need an RI-60. If they get a purchase permit...well they need a purchase permit

Is it legal or would I have to go through a FFL?

Yes, it's perfectly legal...no you don't need an FFL involved for most private sales (you do if the purchaser is in another state)

*edited to fix typo of the RI-60 form

goldwing2000
04-29-2004, 08:37 PM
It's an RI-60 form, not RI-90 and it can be downloaded from here:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

Ken P
04-29-2004, 08:41 PM
damn you Kane...LOL

I was just over at the state's site getting the form for him...and BTW..that's a six I typed...it's just upside down...

Red Sector A
04-30-2004, 06:22 AM
~LOL~ thanks guys.. no need to fight! :)

So I can do the purchase permit or the CPL with the RI-60 then. AS I read it then I have to make sure it is sent in to the Firearms Record Unit. Well that is easy! Thanks again. Oh, and I dont plan to sell out of state so that isnt a problem.

goldwing2000
04-30-2004, 08:15 AM
damn you Kane...LOL

I was just over at the state's site getting the form for him...and BTW..that's a six I typed...it's just upside down...

*grin* Fastest surfer in the midwest, baby. ;)

goldwing2000
04-30-2004, 08:17 AM

So I can do the purchase permit or the CPL with the RI-60 then. AS I read it then I have to make sure it is sent in to the Firearms Record Unit. Well that is easy! Thanks again. Oh, and I dont plan to sell out of state so that isnt a problem.

You don't need the RI-60 for a purchase permit transaction. You keep one copy of the purchase permit for your records and the buyer has to take the other copies back to have it registered.

I would get a copy of the driver's license, though.

Jim Simmons
05-01-2004, 10:02 PM

I believe the RI-60 is only to be used for a sale with a CPL. If the buyer doesn't have a CPL, I thought the purchase permit has space for what is essentially the same information; which is returned with the pistol for inspection.

I need to double check that, but that's my off-the-cuff recollection.

Red Sector A
05-02-2004, 08:46 AM
I believe the RI-60 is only to be used for a sale with a CPL. If the buyer doesn't have a CPL, I thought the purchase permit has space for what is essentially the same information; which is returned with the pistol for inspection.

I need to double check that, but that's my off-the-cuff recollection.

Yes I think that is what others have been saying too. If they have a CPL I could use the RI-60, otherwise they need the green purchase permit which does have roughly the same information except it doesnt ask for the CCW #.

Thanks to all for responding, it is clear now. :)

Executioner
05-04-2004, 06:42 PM
I'll be bringing an RI-060 to our meeting and I'll walk you through the procedure. It'll go fine.