PDA

View Full Version : New Ultrasonic cleaner

Toxie
05-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Hey, I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner.

Anyoen know a good place to get cleansers locally? (to redford/livonia)

Any cleansers work better then others? I know about simple green- but wondered about actual cleaners.

Any tips for using it?

I got a heated L&R Quantrex Q90.

karcent
05-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Brownells will be the only place I know of to buy cleaners specificly designed for forearms use.

Cbligh
08-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey, I just bought an ultrasonic cleaner.

Anyoen know a good place to get cleansers locally? (to redford/livonia)

Any cleansers work better then others? I know about simple green- but wondered about actual cleaners.

Any tips for using it?

I got a heated L&R Quantrex Q90.

It's not real close to you, but I just got a quart of Hornady "One shot" brass cleaner up at Williams for 19.95. Concentrate. Check my post re "ultrasonic cleaners, Pros/Cons.

jmoser
08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
An ultrasonic is on my short list; I would stick with water based solvents like Simple Green, etc. A good surfactant is crucial for any aqueous solution.

You should NOT use volatile solvents due to risk of fire / flash from high temp gradients in the bath.

Where did you get your unit? I know Harbor Freight has an inexpensive one.

ChaneyD
08-24-2010, 05:41 PM
$5 a bottle at Harbor Freight. It's a powder you mix.

Mike in Michigan
08-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Today, I would use Simple Green or similar. Many years ago, when I worked at a lab, we used dishwashing detergent to clean delicate instruments in the U/S cleaner. I once ran an old motorcycle carburetor through a cleaning cycle in it with NO detergent, just clear water, and it came out looking better than new. The U/S is really great for cleaning your eye glasses.

EricF517
08-25-2010, 11:03 AM
http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Here is an interesting read

PhotoTom
08-25-2010, 10:28 PM
It's not real close to you, but I just got a quart of Hornady "One shot" brass cleaner up at Williams for 19.95. Concentrate. Check my post re "ultrasonic cleaners, Pros/Cons.

Being that this thread is over 6 years old...I'm betting he's all set by now... ;)

- Admin

randystoybox
09-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I bought the Harbor freight cleaner and machine. Cleaned the outside of cases fine but not the pockets or inside very well. I returned it with no hassle. I wish I could find something better than vibratory ckleaner.

daddyschatz
07-24-2011, 02:17 PM
I use mine for both motorcycle parts and handgun brass. I usually use a combination of dawn dish soap (a couple tablespoons) a cup of white vinegar, and water. I cycle it a few times til the water is good and warm and dirty. since I cast my own bullets and have lube on everything after I load, then I throw them in the vibratory tumbler to clean the lube and whatever else is on the ammo.