PDA

View Full Version : What's required to renew license in Macomb County?

J 92 Brigadier
05-07-2004, 07:54 PM
(Note: This is a duplicate of my ranting post in CPLTRAINER.com)

I was informed today by my Brother in Law that he and my sister were asked to submit a certificate documenting that they had completed the 3 hour review training requirement for CPL renewal. I thought all you needed to do was to sign the form to verify you had taken this training, not bring a document. Are these clerks at the City County Building woefully misinformed, or are we?

This is what the MSP website says about renewal:

For an individual licensed after July 1, 2001, and subsequently applying for a renewal:
Pistol safety training course is not required
And, what therefore are we to interpret "shall present a statement signed by the applicant" to mean? Must we now sign a statement before a Notary Public in order have something these knuckleheads will accept for renewal? Why is it that we the CPL holders are better informed and always seem know the law far better than the public servants we pay to process paperwork for licenses and permits at police stations and city county buildings? Is it to harass us and create barriers to licensing and ownership, or simply poor training? We have all received far better service at Wal-Mart than at our government offices.

And, what therefore are we to interpret "shall present a statement signed by the applicant" to mean? Must we now sign a statement before a Notary Public in order have something these knuckleheads will accept for renewal? Why is it that we the CPL holders are better informed and always seem know the law far better than the public servants we pay to process paperwork for licenses and permits at police stations and city county buildings? Is it to harass us and create barriers to licensing and ownership, or simply poor training? We have all received far better service at Wal-Mart than at our government offices.
Applicant shall present a statement signed by the applicant certifying that he/she has:
Completed at least three (3) hours of review of the pistol safety training course since receiving his/her license and that the review included firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal application

Ken P
05-07-2004, 08:08 PM
the application, if they have the new ones, hasan area stating that you reviewed the material

all i did in waco was sign it

J 92 Brigadier
05-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Ken, their applications were the same as yours. In fact, they pointed out this out to the bumbling, but well meaning clerks to no avail.

G22
05-10-2004, 05:21 AM
J 92, Find out any more info on this?

If not, maybe you should ask Jim Simmons in the Legal Beagle section. He may know more. He is in Macomb Co. also.

It sounds like a crock to me. I dont have to renew for 2 more years, hope they have this "problem" fixed by then.

kbondra
05-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Thanks for posting this Brigadier. The Macomb County Clerk seems to think we need a certificate to prove that we have taken additional training for renewal of a CPL.

There is a box on the application for renewals where you check the box to verify that you have taken additional training and you sign it if you feel that you meet the requirement.

I inerpret this as a self certification, the Macomb County Clerk feels diferently.

The clerks office ended up taking our application after a more experienced employee was called and we informed her of our training and I read the rules for renewal on the application instuctions to her.

They took the application, we have not heard anything yet.