PDA

View Full Version : Lou Chiodo Returns for Advanced Training Clinic!

Live Safe Academy
05-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Lou Chiodo Returns for Advanced Training Clinic!

Live Safe Academy, LLC is proud to announce the return of LOUIS M. CHIODO for the fourth Advanced Training Clinic (LSA TC, May 2004) organized by Ian Kinder. This event will consist of two separate one-day training sessions featuring Lou's "CLOSE-QUARTERS BATTLE RIFLE & SHOTGUN SEMINAR" and "PHASE TWO COMBAT SHOOTING METHODS" handgun program. As with all previous advanced training clinics organized by Ian Kinder, the goal is to provide access to the best of law enforcement quality self-defense training to Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL) holders.

LOUIS M. CHIODO is the founder of GUNFIGHTERS Ltd. (www.gunfightersltd.com), a private training company that provides instruction to law enforcement and military. Lou is also a 19- year veteran of our country’s largest state police agency. He served as a Captain, United States Marine Corps (Regular) before entering law enforcement. Lou is well known in the LEO training community for developing the current firearm-training program of our nation’s largest state police agency. The national average for hits by LEO’s in officer-involved shootings is between 10% and 20%. Lou Chiodo’s program has resulted in a 90% plus hit ratio; saving many innocent lives. Lou’s training system uses both target-focused methods of engagement and, when appropriate, sighted methods of engagement. He has worked directly with Colonel Rex Applegate and has trained hundreds of officers nationwide in the use of his system. Throughout his 19 years of experience as a police firearm instructor, he has emphasized training methodologies that are relevant to real world encounters. With the exception of this venue, Lou works exclusively with law enforcement and the military.

The CLOSE-QUARTERS BATTLE RIFLE & SHOTGUN SEMINAR is a single, one-day workshop divided into two sections. The rifle section will explore the use of the rifle as a primary weapon system in either law enforcement or home defense. The focus of the seminar will be employing the rifle from point blank range to approximately 50 yards. The emphasis will be on developing close range skills that are directly applicable to the manner in which the rifle is used in real world encounters. Additional topics will include considerations in the selection of equipment and ammunition and the effects of combat stress as it applies to our use of the rifle in close-quarter engagements. The combat shotgun is a devastating close-quarters fighting tool. The primary objective of this section is to increase the participant’s ability to employ the combat shotgun with increased proficiency and to instill greater confidence in his/her ability to employ the combat shotgun as a primary defensive weapon. In conjunction with shooting skill development, topics will include target engagement, shot patterns and how they affect target engagement and tactical considerations when employing the combat shotgun. This program will take place on Saturday, 5-22-04.

Training in PHASE TWO COMBAT SHOOTING METHODS handgun program builds on the skills developed in the PHASE ONE COMBAT SHOOTING METHODS handgun workshop. In PHASE TWO COMBAT SHOOTING METHODS, the operator begins to apply his/her skills developed in previous training in a training protocol that will allow the operator to fluidly use his/her pistol in scenario based shooting drills involving movement of both operator and target. Speed of engagement without sacrificing combat accuracy is stressed throughout this course. This program will take place on Sunday, 5-23-04.

As with all programs offered by GUNFIGHTERS Ltd., the goal of these programs is to instruct participants in time-tested, relevant, and realistic combat shooting methods that have proven to work in dynamic, high-stress environments.

The CLOSE-QUARTERS BATTLE RIFLE & SHOTGUN SEMINAR is limited to the first thirty qualified persons that submit a complete registration. The PHASE TWO COMBAT SHOOTING METHODS handgun program is limited to the first twenty qualified individuals that submit a complete registration. The cost per student per program is only $150.oo. Participants must be Michigan Holders of a General CPL, LEO, or a member of the Military. To enroll in the PHASE TWO COMBAT SHOOTING METHODS handgun workshop, participants must have successfully completed the PHASE ONE COMBAT SHOOTING METHODS handgun program. The date of this event is May 22 and 23 of 2004; the location will be Livingston Conservation & Sports Association (http://www.lcsa.info/) in Livingston County. Details, including registration information, are posted on the Live Safe Academy, LLC website (www.livesafeacademy.com). You can link to the LSA TC, May 2004 page from our schedule (sidebar, by course title) or select “Public” from our sidebar, than scroll down to “Tools of Force” and then click on “Lethal Tools of Force”. The LSA TC, May 2004 link is titled, “Advanced Training Clinic Featuring Louis M. Chiodo of GUNFIGHTERS Ltd., May 2004” at the bottom of the page.

NOTE TO STUDENTS: If you represent a training facility or Gun Club and would like to host a future event, please contact Ian Kinder. Please also note that we are looking for individuals that own, operate or work with a food vender to make box lunches or other meals available to participants for purchase; if you can help, please contact Ian.

“Our firearms program is not about shooting. It is about fighting. When the concept of fighting is taken out of firearms training, we have forgotten the purpose of our training.” - LOUIS M. CHIODO, GUNFIGHTERS Ltd.

Wesley w/Glock
05-25-2004, 10:23 AM
I took the shot gun and carbine class. Here is what I wrote to Lou this morning:

I have probably trained more than the average CCW citizen. This year I have logged 24 hours to date. Last year I logged 68 hours. The year before 98 hours plus 16 hours edged weapons. And the year before that 44 hours. ... Through all that training I have been very fortunate in that I have not had bad firearms instruction. The one thing I have found about trainers is that everybody has a different perspective to deliver. While I might be able to say that a given set of instruction may have been more useful to me, I have been extremely satisfied with all the firearms training I have taken.

What I think is unique about your perspective is the simplicity and reliance upon only gross motor skills that you stress to maximize survival in a gun fight. Also, your students leave with the impression fresh in their minds that it is not about gun handling but fighting for survival. This is mind conditioning to facilitate a student's ability to respond appropriately to a lethal threat.
I think that mind conditioning is a critical part of one's training. One example I can think of is the eye gouge to distract an attacker. Most of the general public's self defense "training" comes from Hollywood where even sworn enemies in absolute mortal hand-to-hand combat do not do eye gouges. The only eye gouge I believe I have ever seen from Hollywood is in Under Siege staring Steven Segal. At the very end of the movie Segal does an eye gouge on Tommy Lee Jones and finishes him off with a knife through the top of the skull.

RSF
05-25-2004, 11:57 AM
the eye gouge is great for those who are also not going too or cant finish off the attacker the eye thump is also ans effective tool simliar but it is applied with a flicking motion of the finger