PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a pack rod...

quigleyman
06-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey guys,

Im a light backpacker who uses hiking as an excuse to fish some awesome underfished lakes in the north country. I am growing tired of carrying a two piece bass rod on my pack because 3' 6" is way too long. Love the rod though.

Im looking for a small packrod that can handle bigger fish...a medium actionish rod and im very stuck on a spinning reel. I wouldn't mind a combo spinning/fly, but the requirement is the spinning part. cost is a factor.

fire away....

PS-I would love an emmrod but cant justify it right now.

brentv
06-23-2010, 02:35 PM
How about Eagle Claw Telescoping Rod I have heard they are really nice. They are online for only $15.00.
I just bought a cheap rod on ebay for $7 I am going to try it out and if it doesn't work I am going to get the eagle claw.

Buzzcat
06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
+2 for the telescoping rod. Obviously, it's gonna fall short in terms of some feature and performance measures, but they work fine if all you need is something to muscle the fish out of the water.

quigleyman
06-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, on my last adventure, my friend had a shakespeare telescoping rod and it packed most wonderfully.

We ended up catching a nice lively salamander (2" + the tail) for some bait and, long story short, he couldn't use it. It would have broken his pole just casting it. I was reeling in multiple bass on the same salamander all afternoon, even after his untimely demise.

We traded poles for about a half hour, and all I can say is that telescoping rods are a great idea.....

His was a light pole though, I have seen in stores "medium" action collapsible rods. I opened one up and it still felt like a darn buggy whip. Does anyone have any experience with these "heavier" collapsibles?

I was leaning toward a four piece rod but can't find one under $80, and that doesn't come with a reel!

quigleyman
06-23-2010, 04:00 PM
PS- anybody ever used a Penrod? Im curious as to how well they would do.

I really appreciate the input guys!

Done Deal
06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Popeil Pocket Fisherman Spin
Casting Outfit Makes Fishing Easy.

This is the famous Popeil Pocket Fisherman that has thrilled generations! The double-flex rod is hinged into the closed position when stored away. When ready to use, simply unfold until it snaps into the fully extended position. Also features an automatic anti-reverse that prevents the handle from turning backwards. The handle of the Popeil Pocket Fisherman is also a mini tackle box containing hook, line, sinker, and bobber. The Pocket Fisherman is always ready for the fish to strike! A perfect gift for any fisherman … young and old alike!

Product Features:
Convenient design
Fits into your glove compartment
Attaches to your belt
Handle doubles as mini tackle box
Reel is replaceable with reel cartridge
Full-time authority

I just couldn't resist...

quigleyman
06-23-2010, 10:08 PM
haha...I suppose I should invest in the rotisserie too?

brentv
06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
I will buy the pocket fisherman and the banjo minnow kit, I will be Unstoppable!!!!!!

quigleyman
06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
all else aside (especially the pocket fisherman :slap: ) I have always thought those banjo minnows looked pretty sweet. Am I just naive, or do they work? Seems like it would be a good lure for bass in spring. Anybody with banjo experience?

quigleyman
06-24-2010, 06:31 PM
okay, this slap is for myself :slap: . I guess I'm just naive. It's a nice idea....kinda complicated with all the rubberbands and crap...Ill just keep using my soft swimbaits. Nothing outperforms live bait though. :shiner:

MLG
06-25-2010, 10:12 AM
I've been looking for the same thing. I ran across the South Bend Rod and Reel Ready 2 Fish sett at Dicks Sporting Goods but thought it was overpriced thereat $29.99.

It looks like a fairly nice Rod and Reel set. The only thing I wasn't totally sure on was the length of the Rod when it's collapsed is still 21".

http://www.fishusa.com/South-Bend-R2F-Ready-2-Fish-Eclipse-Telescopic-Spinning-Combo_p.html

Also, saw others on ebay that I'm pondering:
http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_kw=TELESCOPIC+FISHING+POLE+ROD+AND+SPINN ING+REEL+COMBO

Max

who dat
06-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I've been looking for the same thing. I ran across the South Bend Rod and Reel Ready 2 Fish sett at Dicks Sporting Goods but thought it was overpriced thereat $29.99.

It looks like a fairly nice Rod and Reel set. The only thing I wasn't totally sure on was the length of the Rod when it's collapsed is still 21".

http://www.fishusa.com/South-Bend-R2F-Ready-2-Fish-Eclipse-Telescopic-Spinning-Combo_p.html

Also, saw others on ebay that I'm pondering:
http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_kw=TELESCOPIC+FISHING+POLE+ROD+AND+SPINN ING+REEL+COMBO

MaxThe picture must be wrong. It shows a 3 piece rod. Even that wouldn't collapse to 21" if it starts at 5'6".

Done Deal
06-25-2010, 03:32 PM
all else aside (especially the pocket fisherman :slap: ) I have always thought those banjo minnows looked pretty sweet. Am I just naive, or do they work? Seems like it would be a good lure for bass in spring. Anybody with banjo experience?

Yes.....and yes....they do work---at least on farm pond bass.

MLG
06-25-2010, 05:33 PM
The picture must be wrong. It shows a 3 piece rod. Even that wouldn't collapse to 21" if it starts at 5'6".

You are right! The math doesn't add up, does it?

I did see it at Dicks but can't remmber the # of sections.

Thanks for the astute observation!

quigleyman
06-25-2010, 07:06 PM
That looks similar to the one I've been eying.

I've opened it up in Bass pro and the associate who helped me didn't have any more faith in it than I did. I may try it for lack of a cheaper option.

quigleyman
06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
I have also looked at the Eagle Claw pack it set. It's a four peice rod that comes with BOTH a spinning reel and a fly wheel, all for about $30. It might fit the bill..... my only concern is that being a fly rod, it will be too weak because fly rods are extremely light and whiplike....exactly what a spinning rod should not be.

who dat
06-26-2010, 09:26 AM
I have also looked at the Eagle Claw pack it set. It's a four peice rod that comes with BOTH a spinning reel and a fly wheel, all for about $30. It might fit the bill..... my only concern is that being a fly rod, it will be too weak because fly rods are extremely light and whiplike....exactly what a spinning rod should not be.
Fly rods weak? Maybe light or whiplike, but try pulling a 20# steelhead out from a logjam with anything but a fly rod!

I'd be more afraid of it because it's $30, not because it's a fly rod.

quigleyman
06-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Im sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Weak was a poor word choice. Fly rods extend the action over the entire rod where spinning rods flex mainly at the tip. I don't understand how the two rods can coexist without ruining the action of the other. I'm not a fly man myself, but I am curious about it. That is why I'm looking at this set. 1. It fits my price 2. It fits my purpose 3. It comes with the fly reel so I can satiate my curiosity without spending ANY extra money! It says that it's a medium action rod. If thats accurate then this should fit the bill nicely. I think it's a four piece rod. If I buy the rod alone, it runs about $17. The rod assembles to 7'6". That's a huge plus to me. I prefer long rods to short ones.

Im just a little wary because of the price....anyone with experience?

http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4198853

who dat
06-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Im sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Weak was a poor word choice. Fly rods extend the action over the entire rod where spinning rods flex mainly at the tip. I don't understand how the two rods can coexist without ruining the action of the other. I'm not a fly man myself, but I am curious about it. That is why I'm looking at this set. 1. It fits my price 2. It fits my purpose 3. It comes with the fly reel so I can satiate my curiosity without spending ANY extra money! It says that it's a medium action rod. If thats accurate then this should fit the bill nicely. I think it's a four piece rod. If I buy the rod alone, it runs about $17. The rod assembles to 7'6". That's a huge plus to me. I prefer long rods to short ones.

Im just a little wary because of the price....anyone with experience?

http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4198853
No offense taken...just bustin' your chops a little.

Fly rods come in tip flex, mid flex, and full flex. They are generally made to land a specific fish. They are not all full flex as you described.

I would get the combo and do a little bluegill fishing with the fly setup...you'll have more fun than should be legal! Especially if it's a long rod. Get a nice perch or a bass on the end of a long rod like that and you'll never go back to throwing iron again.:thumbup:

You can toss spinners with a fly rod, imitation frogs, ants, all kinds of stuff. Get a beginners fly fishing book and read it. You'll be surprised what fly fishing isn't!

quigleyman
06-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Why thank you. I was thinking the other day that I could try fly fishing bluegill cause they surface feed on bugs and such. Appreciate the tip!

Done Deal
06-26-2010, 04:48 PM
While not a packrod per se....if you can get your hands on an old Daiwa Mini Spin.....they are a ultra light two piece rod that can handle most game fish in still water.

But, you better be prepared to respool fresh mono after stretching out what ya got because those little rods take awhile to help get a good sized fish in.

If you are in the grass, ya better have a boat because it lacks the spine to muscle anything out.

Still, I have landed pike over 25" and bass over 20" with mine. They just take patience....

who dat
06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Why thank you. I was thinking the other day that I could try fly fishing bluegill cause they surface feed on bugs and such. Appreciate the tip!
I've fished flies on a spinning rod, a bamboo pole, a fly rod and even hand over hand. My dad was a big one for spinning rods, Mitchell 300 spinning reels, and flies.

He'd take a clear bobber that let you put water in it for weight, tie a long leader to it and a tiny dry fly at the end. We'd catch so many gills we couldn't eat them all. We'd do the same setup on the end of a 10' perch pole and it worked just as well.

Here's a link to some fly rods and how they rate them. Look around on this site for info, I know Orvis is on the pricier end, but they offer some good deals on great equipment when you're ready as well as lots of great fishing information.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_id=758&subject=24

quigleyman
06-26-2010, 06:54 PM
well, when hiking I fish from shore, so I kinda need that "spine".

Thanks so much! Ill have to experiment fly techniques with my spinning rod.

quigleyman
06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks again guys. I appreciate all the input.

Is there anybody with experience on a Penrod Extreme or Eagle Claw Pack It (4pc)?

quigleyman
06-29-2010, 09:41 AM
While not a packrod per se....if you can get your hands on an old Daiwa Mini Spin.....they are a ultra light two piece rod that can handle most game fish in still water.

But, you better be prepared to respool fresh mono after stretching out what ya got because those little rods take awhile to help get a good sized fish in.

If you are in the grass, ya better have a boat because it lacks the spine to muscle anything out.

Still, I have landed pike over 25" and bass over 20" with mine. They just take patience....

Found this combo as a 4 piece pack rod...looks nice but its in the ultralight category. It was $45.

quigleyman
06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
I was at a sporting goods store and stumbled across a medium action Ugly Stik in 4 pieces. I decided to try it out. It didn't come with a reel so I just used the quantum spinner off my other rod. It helped me make a more fair assessment of the new rod anyway.

Let me tell you it was like trying to fish with fiberglass tent poles! I returned it a few hours later. One down....time to try out something else. Im guessing in the long run I'd be better off if I just saved my pennies and got something nicer. :???:

Done Deal
06-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Ugly Sticks are designed to bend for ever instead of breaking.

In an ultra light....ya need a little spine anyway.

The trouble is, when you go to a four piece and get into a problem on the other end....all those ferrels can cause problems.

I broke more than one lightweight over the years getting too much of a fish on the other end.

mrbuckshot
06-29-2010, 01:20 PM
you are right, real worms work better than pretend worms.

quigleyman
06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Ugly Sticks are designed to bend for ever instead of breaking.

In an ultra light....ya need a little spine anyway.

The trouble is, when you go to a four piece and get into a problem on the other end....all those ferrels can cause problems.

I broke more than one lightweight over the years getting too much of a fish on the other end.

Ya....had a regular medium action Ugly Stick, and it snapped the first day. Not the first one that broke on me either. I used to love those things, but now they are just junk. I'm done completely with Shakespeare products FOREVER.

quigleyman
06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Guys I think I'm just gonna save for an emmrod. I'm thinking maybe an emmrod packrod Spinn, standard touch (4 coil,rated to 25#) with an extra tip in light touch (6 coil,rated to 10#). Ill top it with a BPS nine bearing spinner that comes with 2 spools. Ill load one for the 4 coil (probably 20# spiderwire) and one for the 6 coil (maybe 6# or 8# spiderwire) and have two options for the rod setup.

I think it will set me back about $100 plus the cost of spiderwire, but I'm tired of cheap junk and I think this will be a nice setup. Thats a lot of options for the money, too.

http://www.emmrod.com/

who dat
06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Guys I think I'm just gonna save for an emmrod. I'm thinking maybe an emmrod packrod Spinn, standard touch (4 coil,rated to 25#) with an extra tip in light touch (6 coil,rated to 10#). Ill top it with a BPS nine bearing spinner that comes with 2 spools. Ill load one for the 4 coil (probably 20# spiderwire) and one for the 6 coil (maybe 6# or 8# spiderwire) and have two options for the rod setup.

I think it will set me back about $100 plus the cost of spiderwire, but I'm tired of cheap junk and I think this will be a nice setup. Thats a lot of options for the money, too.

http://www.emmrod.com/
WTF planet are these made on?:whacko:

Have you ever used one? They look intriguing as heck. That could be a great kayak rod. Let me know what you think of it when you get it.

quigleyman
07-01-2010, 12:17 AM
pretty cool, huh? :D

It's exactly that....these were designed as kayak rods! Stainless spring steel and collapse to about 14" or so. Im excited. I just ordered the setup I rattled off earlier and Ill go pick the reel up from Bass Pro after it arrives. I will make sure to do a full field report. They look sweet though, and the price isn't bad. They are cheaper than "pack rods".

MLG
07-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Please keep us posted on the emmrod.

Great videos on the website!

I am very tempted to order one.

Did you go with the packer or the mountaineer?

quigleyman
07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Well, I actually went with the "Packrod". The "Packer" only came in spincasting and I wanted spinning. I ordered the Packrod with a 4 coil tip and I ordered an extra 6 coil tip. Ill be sure to keep you guys posted as I know from the thread there are several guys with the same problem. :cheers:

quigleyman
07-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Guess what showed up on my doorstep today!!!! I'm off to BPS to get a reel. This rod is pretty sweet.

Unfortunately I don't know when Ill get to use it. To make a long story short, I am living in Iowa for the summer and everything is flooded and the levy's are breaking......sooooo basically Des Moines is gonna drown. I don't know when I'll be able to fish here. Coming home in August, so if I haven't by then, Ill fish with it.

Can you guys tell me how I post pics on the forum? Ill post some if I figure out how. You guys will get a kick out of this engineering feat!
:score:

MLG
07-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Guess what showed up on my doorstep today!!!! I'm off to BPS to get a reel. This rod is pretty sweet.

Unfortunately I don't know when Ill get to use it. To make a long story short, I am living in Iowa for the summer and everything is flooded and the levy's are breaking......sooooo basically Des Moines is gonna drown. I don't know when I'll be able to fish here. Coming home in August, so if I haven't by then, Ill fish with it.

Can you guys tell me how I post pics on the forum? Ill post some if I figure out how. You guys will get a kick out of this engineering feat!
:score:
Well, as much as I hate too.... If you get your rod to me, I'll test it out for you while you are gone! :whistle:

Congratulations, sounds like really good service from the company. Kind of stinks, I know when I get something new, I want to try it out right away. Patience is not one of my virtues.

Here's a link to help you with the pictures.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31812

Max

quigleyman
07-03-2010, 06:55 PM
thank you kindly :bowdown:

Ferd
07-11-2010, 08:52 PM
He'd take a clear bobber that let you put water in it for weight, tie a long leader to it and a tiny dry fly at the end. We'd catch so many gills we couldn't eat them all.

This is one of the greatest techniques for gills. I use dry flies, or those foam ants or spiders. Incredible fun.

quigleyman
07-12-2010, 04:13 PM
found a lake NOT connected to the Des Moines River, so I went fishing 3 times last week. Rod works well. It casts as well as my 6'6 bass rod. I caught 7 or 8 blue gill on it, but nothing bigger. Ill try to get some pics up soon.