PDA

View Full Version : HELP... choosing right rifle

Tank
05-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Hey...

K... not quite Michigan question, but i thought someone here might have an idea.

I've just moved to Texas, and thanks to being unemployed for over a year, I had to sell almost all my firearms. It's time to rebuild the collection.

Question being, I've known what guns to use in Michigan all my life. Now I have no idea what would be appropriate down here in TX for hogs and deer.

I want to find a good rifle that would be enough for hogs, but not too much for their smaller deer down here. At this point I have to find ONE that will serve both purposes until I can work more hours and start buying different ones for different situations.

Anyone hunt hogs before? Anyone hunt TX before?

TIA

goldwing2000
05-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I'd have to say .308 is a very good all-around cartridge. Big enough to take down hogs but not so big that it destroys a small deer.

Of course... if you're not concerned about saving too much meat, I highly recommend a .50 BMG. :biggrin:

gruvinbass
05-10-2004, 06:38 PM
257 Roberts or 25-06

RSF
05-10-2004, 06:41 PM
270!

Tank
05-11-2004, 08:59 AM
I'd have to say .308 is a very good all-around cartridge. Big enough to take down hogs but not so big that it destroys a small deer.

Of course... if you're not concerned about saving too much meat, I highly recommend a .50 BMG. :biggrin:

I'll keep the .50 BMG in mind :lol:

Thanks guys.

Freetime
05-11-2004, 05:49 PM
I would also go with the .270, used it for years and it does a great job.
Larry

Tank
05-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Never shot a .270... Isn't that a very flat shooting cartridge? Good for distances?

Freetime
05-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Yes it is, I've used it in Mich. for whitetail and in Wyoming for mule deer and antelope and it is a heck of a nice round. Light recoil and plenty of power.
Larry

One of Many
05-13-2004, 05:57 PM
The only relevant issue is whether you plan to shoot at distances in excess of 300 yards. If so, then a flat shooting cartridge will be valuable, but if not shooting over 300 yards, any cartridge suitable for medium to large sized game will allow shooting without holdover out to 250 plus yards, and minimal holdover between 250 and 300.
There was an article on this subject just recently in one of the NRA magazines.

Choose a rifle and cartridge that you are comfortable shooting, shoot it a lot so you get proficient with it, and enjoy hunting.

I can put 40 to 60 rounds of .308 Winchester through my rifle in one session at the rifle range, and not get sore or have any bruising. I had a different rifle years ago that left me black and blue for days, and sore enough to hamper movement, after firing 20 rounds.

Put really good optics on your rifle, since that will help you put the bullet in the sweet spot. A great gun with a lousy scope will cause you a lot of grief. A decent gun with a great scope will make you a better shot, and give you confidence that you can hit your target when and where you want to hit it.

topcide
07-25-2004, 09:13 PM
i would also say .270. take a look at a browning BAR 2, which is what i use. fires .270, semi auto, four round mag.