PDA

View Full Version : TDI- What a weekend!

Fiddler
05-10-2004, 07:15 PM
I had the distinct pleasure of training at TDI this past weekend with some of MGO's finest shooters, most of whom have been to one or more of Deputy's advanced classes. The weather was hot and sunny, and we all got a little sunburned! ( I wont rub it in for those of you who had sleet and hail! :wink: ) We started off Saturday morning with some basic drills to warm up and allow the instructors the opportunity to assess our ability levels. We moved onto shooting on the move in a box configuration as well as shooting from cover. This is where Deputy's training really became apparent, because it would have been very difficult if we had never practiced any of these skills!

Later on we got into advanced tactics such as the proper tactics for clearing a house. We learned that this is really a skill best left to the professionals whenever possible, but nevertheless useful to know in the event that you have to deal with it on your own. We ended the day with some timed drills. Of course everyone wanted to shoot faster, but the emphasis was on getting your hits!

Sunday was a lot of fun. We started with a basic warm up and some advanced drills such as trigger indexing, shooting on the move in a serpentine configuration, and low light tactics. The afternoon was really action packed, when we each had the opportunity to be the "victim" in 2 force on force exercises. I was in one drill in which I was supposedly just walking into my bedroom getting ready to go to bed when a man jumped out at me with a knife. Of course since I had awareness training (and knew there would be some sort of challenge) I saw him before I walked through the doorway, and it was still over in about 5 seconds. They're not lying when they tell you most life threatening confrontations will be violent, at arm's length and over within seconds. I yelled "stop," as I quickly backed away and hammered him in the chest with airsoft pellets. I learned that my reaction to the intruder was excellent (thanks to some great training). I didn't freeze, I acted appropriately, but I was also reminded that lateral movement would have been better so the bad guy wouldn't have an opportunity to lunge at me or even fall on me. It was also a perfect example of how fast these scenarios can happen!

I also had the opportunity to observe other scenarios, and even got to be a hostage in one. It was very helpful to see these scenarios play out and think about how to best deal with them. Of course, one can never know how they will react in a given situation, but the more training you have, the more chance you have of knowing how to get out alive!

The rest of the afternoon was dedicated to live fire house, where we had the opportunity to apply our house clearing skills with paper targets in two different scenarios. I was very happy that all my hits were center of mass, including the one I had to make from an odd angle inside a closet! I didn't shoot any "no threat" targets or hostages, and I saved my "nephew" the hostage from the bad guys. (Also an indication of good training).

I have to say it was a fun filled, action packed, educational weekend, and I'm glad to have been able to share it with such a great group of people! I for one plan to return to TDI for more training.

Batman
05-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Yes, a fine time indeed! I'm already looking at the level IV and V classes later this year! Boy, they sure are in the middle of BFE!

I'm not sure which way every one came home but I went east to Portsmouth and then north on 23 to Columbus. I left TDI at 5:10 and I made it to the I-75/Michigan boarder by 10:22 and I was home in GP by 11:15. :D

Great Class! Force on force house was tops but the LFH's were super as well. Sure beats punching paper or hitting steal!

Fiddler
05-10-2004, 10:52 PM
We went East and then North up 23 as well, but we missed the Columbas bypass, so we ended up driving through some neighborhoods that just may have challenged our tactical training! Still, we made it through and got in the door around 11:15 or so as well.

paddy
05-11-2004, 05:19 AM
Great weekend. I learned allot. The instructors at TDI were the best.
This was the first time I was at a HOT range. Guns were loaded and ready to rock and roll at all times unless a specific exercise required downloading. When downloading, we checked our own gun and had several other students check, and then all of the instructors would check.
John at TDI feels that with our level of training that the range should be HOT. With all of the great people at this event, I never once felt uncomfortable.

Batman,
Let me know if and when you are going to level IV/V class. I would like to go also. We could save some $ and camp on site. Is level IV our next step at TDI considering we didn't start at the beginning? If you go, are you planning on doing IV/V four day classes?

I hope Ed won't remember his neck wound when I come back. :oops:

paddy

Batman
05-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Did you shoot Ed in the neck!? :D

That was a great exercise (Ed might not think so...). The Force on Force house is the best. According to John he said that the next class for us would/should be level IV and so on. I see he has a level IV/V class at the end of June but based on how hot the F on F house was I'm thinking that the October 9-12 class is what I'm (if I can at all this year) going to try to make (it would also likely work out better with my family schedule). Weather should be more comfortable yet still warm enough to camp (your idea is great).

The other classes that apeal to me are the conceled carry class and the F.I.S.T. class. If there was a shortcoming about the class we just took it was that there was no information about CCW. Since we all CCW, specific tactical trainning from a deep cover position would have been very beneficial, at least to me. I might try to do these two next year along with a level VI.

Fiddler
05-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Great weekend. I learned allot. The instructors at TDI were the best.
This was the first time I was at a HOT range. Guns were loaded and ready to rock and roll at all times unless a specific exercise required downloading. When downloading, we checked our own gun and had several other students check, and then all of the instructors would check.
John at TDI feels that with our level of training that the range should be HOT. With all of the great people at this event, I never once felt uncomfortable.

Batman,
Let me know if and when you are going to level IV/V class. I would like to go also. We could save some $ and camp on site. Is level IV our next step at TDI considering we didn't start at the beginning? If you go, are you planning on doing IV/V four day classes?

paddy

You're right. Given the level of everyone in the group and the safety precautions taken, I didn't mind the HOT range at all, but using the real guns for certain exercises that defied all the safety rules took some getting used to. However, I was happy to see people in our group re-checking their guns before each exercise, even after they had been triple checked. This also further helped to prevent anyone from getting hurt, and using the real guns was much more realistic and useful for the exercises we were doing than using "red" guns.

You're right. The instructors were top notch. They were very positive, and really took the time to address the individual needs of each person. Not only that, I know this was true for me, and I noticed with others too that they were really good about remembering and reinforcing what each person was working on each time we repeated an exercise, so the instruction was very consistant.

That's a good question about which level would be next. I'd like to return as well. I wouldn't even mind repeating some of the exercises for practice.

So Paddy..... are you going to tell us what you did to Ed's neck?

Fiddler
05-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Did you shoot Ed in the neck!? :D

That was a great exercise (Ed might not think so...). The Force on Force house is the best. According to John he said that the next class for us would/should be level IV and so on. I see he has a level IV/V class at the end of June but based on how hot the F on F house was I'm thinking that the October 9-12 class is what I'm (if I can at all this year) going to try to make (it would also likely work out better with my family schedule). Weather should be more comfortable yet still warm enough to camp (your idea is great).

The other classes that apeal to me are the conceled carry class and the F.I.S.T. class. If there was a shortcoming about the class we just took it was that there was no information about CCW. Since we all CCW, specific tactical trainning from a deep cover position would have been very beneficial, at least to me. I might try to do these two next year along with a level VI.

You're right. The force on force house was great. I really learned a lot about tactics and natural responses to life threatening situations. It also really reinforced the idea that you can never have to much training!

paddy
05-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Ed jumped out of the door with a knife so he got two center mass and one to the head, I mean neck, ok so I missed his head and hit him about where the carotid artery is on his left. I'm sure it hurt like heck but he didn't even mention it until I asked him where I hit him. He stopped bleeding in no time.

Sorry Ed. :cry:

paddy

Fiddler
05-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Oh I see. You must have had the same scenario I did. It sounds like you handled it very well, but I do feel bad for Ed. :(

Wesley w/Glock
05-12-2004, 02:34 PM

paddy
As it happened, SavedbydBelle and I were dining Sunday evening at Mikey's Cafe in West Union when old John, young John, and Ed came in to dine as well. We all sat together and though you could see Ed's wound stung, he was laughing about it.

Batman
05-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Mikey's....is that the dive that little John was telling us about. You know, the place where the food is so bad you just keep comming back!

We went Mexican. It was OK!

Wesley w/Glock
05-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Mikey's is an old-style country restaurant and has a gas station style rest room arrangement. You pick up the keys and go outside to the back of the building to relieve yourself. And, no... the rest room is not a place where there is tall grass.

They were really friendly there and accommodated our Adkins needs. However, they were out of both the T-bone and large rib eye steaks when we went there. Had to settle for a small rib eye.

savedbydbelle
05-17-2004, 03:38 PM
I have been in a FLURY of activity since arriving home from TDI, so It has taken me over a week to reflect on the experience and post here. First of all...THANK YOU DEPUTY FOR PUTTING THIS TOGETHER!!!! The training was unique from any I've had thus far. John was dogmatic about saftey, which was a good thing because we used our actual weapon for building searches (after being triple checked). It was a unnerving experience to point the real McCoy at a living person...even more unnerving to have one pointed at me!!! I learned that I will not freeze up and can still function in response to my training unter these circumstances. We learned a great deal about tactics, including the advantages of space and angles when moving around corners. The value of all the training I've taken thus far was very clear to me! I feel fortunate to have spent the weekend with such a fine group of people and look forward to returning to TDI for Handgun IV-VI and the couple's class.

RSF
05-17-2004, 10:22 PM
I'am glad you had such a good time and learned as wel! myself and john have had a few phone conversations in the last week and he had nothing but good to say about my group of students. he gave a few things to work on with some as well! sandie i have your trip stuff as well they will be getting shipped as the date draws near! and i got wes message/email