PDA

View Full Version : Russian AK47

wdelg21
06-25-2010, 01:38 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a russian AK47 i am told that these are some of the best made AKs I have never fired one and I don't know much about the quality differences between the various manufacturing countries. can you guys help me out with any info or experiences you have had? Thanks

wombat12
06-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Would need quite a bit more info to make a call on this. First, doubt it is an AK47- select fire military weapon with a milled receiver. More than likely an AKM clone of some sort. The only Russian clones available ( with the exception of some PLO kits available several years ago) to the best of my knowledge are Siaga sporter reworks. Quality depends on how well the conversion was done.

wdelg21
06-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks I should have more info on Monday

imaghn
06-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Would just like to give a big +1 on the Saiga. A wonderfully made Russian AKM. I enjoyed mine in its stock 'sporter' form and even more so after I converted/restored it :o) which was remarkably easy. To be fair I only moved the trigger group forward - I like the forearm and will leave it as is.

Best wishes on your Russian AKM adventures.

billbrasky
06-26-2010, 05:13 PM
saigas are great guns and great values.

i have a 7.62x39 and a 223/556 one.

I converted both.

They cost minimum $300 unconverted, and the parts cost about $59 for a tapco triger group (3 parts) , pison (1), and grip (1)

Then you need a buttstock.

Pretty easy to spend $120-$150.

Also easy to spend double that if you like fancy stuff, like a quad or tri rail, or fancy trigger.

With out knowing more i would say unconverted its worth $295.

billbrasky
06-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I wanted to add, minus the neutering to get them in the country, they saigas are "real aks" in the same sense as any other ak variant you could buy post NFA.

They of course are not full auto, semi only, they are technically ak 103 series. If you want to look that up to see what i means, but they make them right next to the military units at the izmash factory in russia. They are nice for what they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-103

wdelg21
07-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Thank you all for the info it is a saiga and appears to be a nice gun but I decided to pass on the trade oportunity. I will be putting it in the maketplace for him as he does not have a computer.