PDA

View Full Version : Loaning a Handgun

SIX29
05-18-2004, 07:26 AM
I believe, that last year a bill was signed that allows the loaning of a handgun. I was thinking that this was part of "VEER" but I cannot be sure. Can anyone point me in the right direction in finding the legislation regarding "loaning of a handgun".

45 acp
05-18-2004, 03:48 PM
The "loaning" thing is still unclear, despite attempts to clarify it. So I'd be a little leery of 'Loaning a Handgun.
The words Loan or Loaning were removed from the law in 2000 there is now no language that says you can't loan a handgun But there also is no language that says you can.

Kouger
05-18-2004, 08:28 PM
ok.here is how i understand it. I do have a file on it somewhere as well I am searching my hard drive for.

the wording of "loan" and Borrow" has been removed form the wording in the law. now.... the way it works is you may laod/borrow a handgun for 9 days. on the 10th day you must either register it OR reborrow/loan that gun.

here is the rub. if you are the one loaning the gun and it is used..doesnt matter if its selfdefense........robbery.whatever.YOU are resopnsable for the action of that gun. PERIOD. its still yours. you will take the fall for any outcome that happens with that gun while its loaned out

my personal opinion I do not think I would loan a gun to anyone. not saying anyone here woudl do anything wrong. however.you never know when or where it will be needed or used

James Simmons.. PLEASE correct any and all mistakes I have made in this

Jim Simmons
05-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Yes, that was the advice I was giving, based on the changes in the law brought about by the original concealed pistol law (200 PA 381) and the Vear bill.

Unfortunately, I've been informed that because of language in a different area of the firearms act, a person must still submit a pistol for inspection if that person comes into possession of it. How much "possession" is required isn't clear. If I bring somebody to a Cowboy Action Shooting Match, and we share a set of pistols, is that "possession" enough to trigger the new law? How about instructors who loan or rent pistols to students? Do those students need to submit for inspection?

There's no clear definition, but it SEEMS like LEOs are defining it as any possession outside the registered owner's possession.

Now's a good time to remind people to read the disclaimer at the top of the page of this forum.

Batman
05-19-2004, 05:59 PM
So does this apply to only handguns? what about shotguns or any gun for that matter?

G22
05-20-2004, 06:27 AM
http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=PP2mgPbh&p_lva=&p_faqid=853&p_created=1024351614&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTExM SZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PU9SViBhbmQgaGFuZGd1bnMmcF9wcm9 kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlP TE*&p_li=

The DNR seem to think it's not legal. :(

G22
05-27-2004, 12:05 PM
I found some interesting things when I searched the Michigan Firearms Laws, and the Federal Firearms Laws (BATFE).

I did a search on the word "loan" and came up with these items.

750.222 Definitions.
(f) “Purchaser” means a person who receives a pistol from another person by purchase, gift, or loan.

§ 922. Unlawful acts
(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

From Q&A at BATFE

(P16) Do the provisions of the Brady law apply to a licensee’s loan or rental of a firearm to a nonlicensee?

If the firearm is loaned or rented for use on the licensee’s premises,
the transaction is not subject to the Brady law. However, if the firearm is
loaned or rented for use off the premises, the licensee must comply with the Brady law.

31. Is it okay if I loan my pistol to a friend to go target shooting?

MCL 28.429 Although the word "loan" was taken out of the definition of seller and purchaser, the safety inspection section of the statutes did not change. That law requires that anyone that owns or comes into possession of a pistol must present it to his or her local police agency for safety inspection. Failure to have the pistol safety inspected is a misdemeanor.

I am not a lawyer, so feel free to verify any and all of this information before you make any hasty decisions!! :P

Hope this helps more than it confuses :?