PDA

View Full Version : My first IDPA match.....

rayban
06-26-2010, 07:56 PM
....did it today at Tri County Sportsmans League, Saline.
I generally made a mess of things, but had some good moments too.
The other shooters were very helpful and offered encouragement and advise.

I was quite impressed with the tight ship the range officers run there......they kept things running smoothly and on schedule.

All in all......a great time. I'll be back........with much more practice under my belt.

wurm
06-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Congratulations on your first match! The group at Tri-County put on a great match. Haven't gotten to shoot there in a while though since the club I help out with has their match the same Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to make some of their winter matches. Tri-County gets a couple of really good shooters who you can learn a lot from.

After my first match I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. The only thing I was disappointed in (other than all the procedurals and hits to no threats) was that I hadn't tried out competitive shooting earlier in my life.

Glad to hear you had a good time and if you ever shoot at any other matches like Raccoon Hunters let me know and maybe we can squad together. It is always more fun to have people you know to shoot with.

Big_Jim
06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
My first match was 11 years ago and I still have fun every time I go to one.

BigBadAllis
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I also shot in my forst IDPA match earlier this month. It was a great experiance and next time I'mm be more prepared.

Jason

rayban
06-30-2010, 06:51 AM
WURM.....don't know about winter matches at Tri-County...no indoor range.
But I'll be looking come Nov....

Meanwhile, you can probably find me there every 4th Sat.

The matches are fun, plus puts a little more perspective into practicing at the range.

fragged
07-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I've got to get out for one of these one of these days...looks like a great time.

JC31
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I was curious if anyone on here has shot the IDPA at the wayne county raccoon hunters club? Never shot IDPA before but looks like a lot of fun.

mitommy
07-09-2010, 09:32 AM
I was curious if anyone on here has shot the IDPA at the wayne county raccoon hunters club? Never shot IDPA before but looks like a lot of fun.

I have shot there. They put on a good match. Every club has their own spin on the stages they use. That mostly depends on the range layout and limitations. That is why it is fun to shoot at different clubs from time to time.

You might want to check out the practice nights. It is a good way to get a feel for IDPA without being at a full blown match. Practices are usually run on a drop in basis. You get there when you can, shoot in rotation with other shooters, go home when you want.

wurm
07-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I've been shooting the matches At Raccoon Hunters for about the last year and have always enjoy them. The people designing stages do a good job and their staff are nice and helpful. I highly recommend you check them out if you get a chance. Unfortunately I've never made it to any of their practices but it is only $8 which is less than most ranges by me. I say give it a try. Just be warned that if you end up like competitive shooting you will be spending all of your available money on ammo :)

rayban
07-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I tell the kids anymore when asked for ideas for birthdays, Christmas, etc.....ammo.....the gift that keeps on banging.:thumbup:

Jailer
07-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Just went to my first IDPA match today. I had a blast.

I see a Dillon 650 in my near future so I don't go broke.

wurm
07-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey Jailer, where did you shoot? Shoot any non threats? I couldn't seem to stop doing that when I first started. Glad to hear you had a good time. It was beautiful day for shooting that is for sure.

I bought a reloader just a few months after my first match. Definitely helps out.

Jailer
07-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Black Creek Conservation Club in Mt. Pleasant. Good group of people there and they put together a great match to shoot. Luckily no hits on non threats and I actually did much better than I thought I would.

I highly encourage anyone who wants to become a better shooter to at least attend the practice days.