PDA

View Full Version : Michigan handgun purchase requirements question

firkon
06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi all,

I'm purchasing a pistol from my father, who lives in Indiana and I want to make sure I'm doing things by the book.

I don't yet have a concealed carry permit, so, from what I understand, I would get a permit to purchase from my local PD. My dad, as the seller, would complete the seller portion of the form. I would then send the form back to the authorities within 10 days.

Am I on the right track?

pgaplayerless
06-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm purchasing a pistol from my father, who lives in Indiana and I want to make sure I'm doing things by the book.

I don't yet have a concealed carry permit, so, from what I understand, I would get a permit to purchase from my local PD. My dad, as the seller, would complete the seller portion of the form. I would then send the form back to the authorities within 10 days.

Am I on the right track?

Negative. Since he lives in different state he has to mail the pistol to a FFL dealer in MI (which accepts transfer from non licensees) and then you had to go do the 4473 along with bringing your PP.

Anything else is federal felony.

who dat
06-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Be sure to contact the FFL first. Some will not accept guns from individuals, and fees vary considerably.

You should be able to get it done for a fee around $25.

Will-IB-Ready
06-27-2010, 03:02 PM
This is interesting. I was visiting my brother (lives out of state) and almost picked up a firearm there. Would the OP be able to buy the pistol in IN and bring it home (making sure to register it here of course)? Or do you have to be a state resident to purchase a firearm in that state? IF that's the case it seems a little bit messed up...

firkon
06-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Okay-- thanks for the info. so, just so I understand, since he lives in another state, I can't purchase from him without an FFL, even if I go down to the state where he resides to purchase the pistol?

This stuff makes me dizzy! :whacko:

who dat
06-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Okay-- thanks for the info. so, just so I understand, since he lives in another state, I can't purchase from him without an FFL, even if I go down to the state where he resides to purchase the pistol?

This stuff makes me dizzy! :whacko:
Correct. You may even have to check Indiana law to be sure an individual can send a gun across state lines. He may have to have an FFL send it to your FFL.

esq_stu
06-27-2010, 03:17 PM
If you want to buy your father a pistol:

1. Send him the money and let him buy it in IN in accord with IN law; or

2. Buy a pistol in MI, and then ship it to an IN federally licensed dealer (FFL). The IN FFL can transfer it to your father in accord with IN law.

A MI resident cannot lawfully transfer a pistol directly to an IN resident. It must first go to an FFL in IN.

Be sure your father can lawfully receive a pistol in IN.

Will-IB-Ready: A resident of MI cannot receive a pistol in IN face to face from an IN owner or an IN FFL. Handguns from non-residents of MI must be transferred to a MI resident by a MI FFL. You can, however, buy rifles and shotguns face-to-face IN from an IN FFL. (MCL 3.111)

who dat
06-27-2010, 03:25 PM
If you want to buy your father a pistol:

1. Send him the money and let him buy it in IN in accord with IN law; or

2. Buy a pistol in MI, and then ship it to an IN federally licensed dealer (FFL). The IN FFL can transfer it to your father in accord with IN law.

A MI resident cannot lawfully transfer a pistol directly to an IN resident. It must first go to an FFL in IN.

Be sure your father can lawfully receive a pistol in IN.

Will-IB-Ready: A resident of MI cannot receive a pistol in IN face to face from an IN owner or an IN FFL. Handguns from non-residents of MI must be transferred to a MI resident by a MI FFL. You can, however, buy rifles and shotguns face-to-face IN from an IN FFL. (MCL 3.111)He wants to buy a handgun FROM his father.

firkon
06-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the information everyone!

langenc
07-02-2010, 03:18 PM
This is interesting. I was visiting my brother (lives out of state) and almost picked up a firearm there. Would the OP be able to buy the pistol in IN and bring it home (making sure to register it here of course)? Or do you have to be a state resident to purchase a firearm in that state? IF that's the case it seems a little bit messed up...

A bit messed up OR infringement??

Then when the gun gets to MI-registration-- is that infringement or STUPID?? and no one seems to care..

mini4m3
07-04-2010, 10:44 AM
A bit messed up OR infringement??

Then when the gun gets to MI-registration-- is that infringement or STUPID?? and no one seems to care..

I believe you can buy rifles from states that directly touch Michigan, but pistols and rifles from other states need FFL in bound.