PDA

View Full Version : Range Officer issues at Island Lake

AMSR22
07-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Has anyone ever had any not-so-pleasant issues with Range Officers at Island Lake Range?

I was there on Saturday with my wife to shoot my Glock 27.

We were at the far end of the 25 yard range and there was an older Range Officer running our side. We were setting up targets on a stand-up at about 10 yards. The Range officer said if we wanted to set up 2 targets, he'd stand in the booth and help us line them up. We did so and they were side by side so we could shoot standing up and resting on the sand bags.

At target change time, we went out and were swapping the targets out for new ones. A different range officer came down and was watching me set up new targets and began telling me (rather rudely) that I can't place targets side-by-side, just one at a time. I said that I was only replicating what the other range officer instructed me to do. He then told me that the other officer probably didn't tell me to put them side by side because I'd be shooting through the wooden frame of the stand-up. I advised him that I understood his point of why not to do it, but I didn't appreciate him questioning whether or not I was lying about what the other range officer instructed.
We exchanged a couple more words and I told him that it was clear that he and I weren't going to get along and that maybe I'd like to continue to work with the other range officer and he cold mosey on down to the 50 and 100 yd ranges where he was before.

He then walked away.

WTF? I understand that many people who come to shoot there are retarded, but does this guy just enjoy his power trips? He's a taller guy, rough looking with a beard. It's the second time I've seen him there and the first time he was fine....

Shyster
07-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Precisely why I refuse to shoot at DNR ranges.

Pinheads.

Signess
07-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Not for myself, I've always had a very polite experience from IL and BM. But I've never set up the freestanders at either of them. Are they the same team of RSO's do you know? Just flip flopping from range to range?

AMSR22
07-05-2010, 08:52 AM
It felt like this guy whom I had the issue with was the "main guy". He checked everyone in all morning, plus operated the microphone and was at the 50 yard range. He seemed like he just waltzed down into our area for the heck of it.

The older gentleman was very cool. He even gave my wife a couple of pointers on grip. I told him that the other fellow had just yelled at me for doing what he told me and he just rolled his eyes.

HVYMTLMEC
07-05-2010, 09:05 AM
The RSO's with the exception of Mark,that I don't even know if he works there anymore, is the reason I will not be going back to island lake.

dpgperftest
07-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Precisely why I refuse to shoot at DNR ranges.

Pinheads.
+1

ColonelKurtz
07-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Has anyone ever had any not-so-pleasant issues with Range Officers at Island Lake Range?

Yes, they suck. If you must go to a DNR range, Sharonville is much better IMO.

tjudge
07-05-2010, 09:49 AM
yes they suck, they were better before when there were dnr officers running it. now its ran by a private individual who runs the shotgun courses pat lieske

RevDerb
07-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I am not looking forward to the day when we move back down state and have to shoot at ranges where encounters like this seem to be commonplace. I usually don't have any competition for range use where I go and if I do, there are now enough people who will allow me to shoot on there property if the others become a hassle. One of the few perks of being isolated, I guess.

AMSR22
07-05-2010, 10:04 AM
These types of ranges are new to me. Where I grew up, we could go out back and shoot all day long. Can't do that 'round here.......

Edward
07-05-2010, 10:10 AM
yes they suck, they were better before when there were dnr officers running it. now its ran by a private individual who runs the shotgun courses pat lieske I don't know about that,at least 1 of the park rangers that ran the range was a total PITA to deal with.

sse
07-05-2010, 10:26 AM
You can run into the same type at private rangers, too.

Ruger
07-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Old dudes on power trips............ I've seen it at almost all of the ranges, if they don't know ya their going to play with ya. It's a test of wills with some of those guys.

art
07-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I hate dnr ranges. The range officers are arrogant and not very pleasant to deal with.

cachemerc
07-05-2010, 02:51 PM
thats nothing go to the waterloo range near norvell....those guys are a pain in the azz...1 bullet in the gun at a time rule out their. i went one time and told them to piss off

tondar
07-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Maybe I've gotten lucky but I have never had a bad experience at Island lake. I always seem to get the same RO (can't tell you his name, dark hair, tall not that old(late 30's 40's))

Just wish they had a 200 or longer range

polishnightmare
07-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I second that the RO's at Island Lake are very unfriendly. That place is only good for sighting in and that is it. I go there maybe once a year and that is it.

The RSO's with the exception of Mark,that I don't even know if he works there anymore, is the reason I will not be going back to island lake.

GPintheMitten
07-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's The Doorman.

You think you're better than me?!

HemiChallenger
07-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I went to island lake range once and will never be back! It makes me mad because its so close to my house.

Greggos
07-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Most of these RO's either have too much ego or think they are godalmighty or both.
They've all been on the taxpayer's payroll so long they think they can do no wrong and sadly they get away with it.
Used to go to William's Lake when I was a kid (my 20's)One of the range nazi's screamed at me (!!) for something he said I didn't do, which was bulls**t, but I let him get away with ripping on me.

I'd actually feel bad for the asshat if he did that today, hence maybe it's a good thing I DON'T use the DNR dumps.

Hawgrider
07-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Sometimes you gotta walk a mile in another mans shoes!
Problem is not everyone who go's there is educated in gun safety and handling skills. So basically The RO's job also consists of some baby sitting so that you experienced shooters don't get shot by some newbie. Rules at the DNR ranges are to be followed. Try doing that job day in and day out with the bone heads that walk in there everyday doing the same stupid stuff I'm sure an RO's patience may wear thing.

Imshootin
07-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Sometimes you gotta walk a mile in another mans shoes!
Problem is not everyone who go's there is educated in gun safety and handling skills. So basically The RO's job also consists of some baby sitting so that you experienced shooters don't get shot by some newbie. Rules at the DNR ranges are to be followed. Try doing that job day in and day out with the bone heads that walk in there everyday doing the same stupid stuff I'm sure an RO's patience may wear thing.

Well put. I see it every time I go to Island Lake. There's one or two dull shed tools out there not following the rules. Then they bitch to their buddy when they're corrected.

Hawgrider
07-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Well put. I see it every time I go to Island Lake. There's one or two dull shed tools out there not following the rules. Then they bitch to their buddy when they're corrected.Yeah its the same stupid violations................
Crossing the Yellow line and approaching the bench between target checks or peoples kids doing the same because they are not watching there 10 year olds, Not kepping muzzle in a safe direction while dicking around with the sights or malfunctions. Leaving the bench with a loaded rifle or handgun. Are just a few that are violated several times each time I have been. Basically people are stupid!
Well not all... but the R.O. doesn't know if you are one of them or not.

Imshootin
07-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah its the same stupid violations................
Crossing the Yellow line and approaching the bench between target checks or peoples kids doing the same because they are not watching there 10 year olds, Not kepping muzzle in a safe direction while dicking around with the sights or malfunctions. Leaving the bench with a loaded rifle or handgun. Are just a few that are violated several times each time I have been. Basically people are stupid!
Well not all... but the R.O. doesn't know if you are one of them or not.

Example:
Went shooting at Island Lake today. Pretty idiot free. RO didn't have to tell anyone over the mic to stay behind the line, etc. It was target change time. RO walking the line checking the firearms. This guy's AR is laying on it's right side so the chamber wasn't visible. RO turned it over and bolt wasn't locked back. RO asked shooter to lock his bolt open so he could see the chamber. Shooter fumbled with the gun for about 30 seconds trying to figure out how to lock the bolt back. He gave up and gave the weapon to the RO who had to do it and show him how it was done. The RO didn't give him any grief, just showed him how to do it and went on down the line.
Had a nice enjoyable afternoon at IL. Got to sight in the new Colt. Shoot a few others.

Greggos
07-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Somebody picking up my rifle when I was 25 or 50 feet away??
I'd be quite irritated actually, regardless of who it is.
If he was downrange, which sounds like he was, the RO broke the DNR's OWN rules about touching firearms when people are checking targets, especially with a closed bolt!

I would have waited for the owner to walk back and then tell/show him. Picking up the dudes' rifle without permission is a bit on the rude and ballsy side. IMHO

Imshootin
07-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Somebody picking up my rifle when I was 25 or 50 feet away??I'd be quite irritated actually, regardless of who it is.
If he was downrange, which sounds like he was, the RO broke the DNR's OWN rules about touching firearms when people are checking targets, especially with a closed bolt!

I would have waited for the owner to walk back and then tell/show him. Picking up the dudes' rifle without permission is a bit on the rude and ballsy side. IMHO

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I guess that's how imaginations work. Everyone was waiting behind the yellow line while the RO was checking the chambers on all the rifles. Shooter was 5 feet behind him. Try re-reading the post and work on your reading comprehension skills.

Greggos
07-21-2010, 09:03 PM
gae' sisad' sia siya...
Comprehend that sarcastic one?

Imshootin
07-21-2010, 09:12 PM
gae' sisad' sia siya...
Comprehend that sarcastic one?

Try speaking English, pollo feci.

Greggos
07-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Your condescending and facetious attitude might be one reason of many why membership is way down here.

YOU are one who posted the note and I read,interpreted and replied as I saw it. Disagreeing with what I said is fine just do so like an adult, not a smart***

Imshootin
07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Your condescending and facetious attitude might be one reason of many why membership is way down here.

YOU are one who posted the note and I read,interpreted and replied as I saw it. Disagreeing with what I said is fine just do so like an adult, not a smart***

Or maybe it's people like yourself that can't read a post and comprehend what's in it and post a reply that sounds like an attempt at "pot stirring" towards one of the places many here like to shoot at and don't seem to run into any problems there. You should work on your reading comprehension skills and try not to sound like a dumb***.

Hawgrider
07-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Example:
Went shooting at Island Lake today. Pretty idiot free. RO didn't have to tell anyone over the mic to stay behind the line, etc. It was target change time. RO walking the line checking the firearms. This guy's AR is laying on it's right side so the chamber wasn't visible. RO turned it over and bolt wasn't locked back. RO asked shooter to lock his bolt open so he could see the chamber. Shooter fumbled with the gun for about 30 seconds trying to figure out how to lock the bolt back. He gave up and gave the weapon to the RO who had to do it and show him how it was done. The RO didn't give him any grief, just showed him how to do it and went on down the line.
Had a nice enjoyable afternoon at IL. Got to sight in the new Colt. Shoot a few others.I didnt have any trouble reading this at all. Dont know why Greggos did. No English major here. But quite easy to read and understand. Yes the RO will walk the line and inspect every weapon for bolt open /chamber open for the safety of those that are going to change targets. Its a pretty simple concept. Barrel down range bolt open/chamber open to check for live ammo before going down range. Its common knowledge to open Bolt /chamber and make visible to the RO so he can easily see the weapon is empty and made safe. Yet some people just cant pull it off...... makes ya wonder what some are thinking......or in many cases not thinking at all. If you make the RO's job easy and show that you know what your doing you wont get hassled. Its that simple.

DetroitStyle
07-23-2010, 07:08 AM
I didnt have any trouble reading this at all. Dont know why Greggos did...
agreed.

DetroitStyle
07-23-2010, 07:14 AM
I wonder if those in charge at I.L. ever read stuff like this... and if they do read it, if they give a *****? Unfortunately, the attitude of so many businesses within the gun community is "Don't like it, too bad, go somewhere else." But, even more unfortunately, there just aren't that many options for the consumers, so we're forced to deal with crappy attitudes/service/prices/etc from the very people we choose to give our money too.

I know that myself, personally... I won't go to I.L based soley on the number of posts in this forum about bad experiences there.

Hawgrider
07-23-2010, 07:40 AM
I wonder if those in charge at I.L. ever read stuff like this... and if they do read it, if they give a *****? Unfortunately, the attitude of so many businesses within the gun community is "Don't like it, too bad, go somewhere else." But, even more unfortunately, there just aren't that many options for the consumers, so we're forced to deal with crappy attitudes/service/prices/etc from the very people we choose to give our money too.

I know that myself, personally... I won't go to I.L based soley on the number of posts in this forum about bad experiences there.Dont let some of the negative posts about DNR ranges discourage you from using the range. Its a great place to sight in your weapons. Cost is minimal especially if you buy an annual park sticker anyway. But its not the place for you if your looking to practice for self defense or just dump full mags into the dirt.
Most although not all people that complain about the DNR ranges are the ones that dont understand and follow the rules. If the rules are not posted for some reason ask the RO when arriving and you'll save yourself some embarrassment and hassle.

jsxtreme
07-23-2010, 07:57 AM
For what it's worth, I've had nothing but good experiences there, and I shoot there a lot. I've seen a few dumb asses shooting there though, so I can see why they have to be assertive sometimes. Safety comes first.

DetroitStyle
07-23-2010, 09:28 AM
For what it's worth, I've had nothing but good experiences there, and I shoot there a lot. I've seen a few dumb asses shooting there though, so I can see why they have to be assertive sometimes. Safety comes first.
you mean XD owners go there? :hide:

Tallbear
07-23-2010, 09:38 AM
They've all been on the taxpayer's payroll so long they think they can do no wrong and sadly they get away with it.

Just an FYI...... Island lake and Bald Mtn. ranges are privately run, not by the DNR so no taxpayer money being used.

jsxtreme
07-23-2010, 09:58 AM
you mean XD owners go there? :hide:

Har har. Some much hatred for the gun I taught you to shoot on. :lol: What's the beef with XD's? Is it the same as I.L.? Bunch of internet mall ninjas tell you it wasn't cool?

DetroitStyle
07-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Har har. Some much hatred for the gun I taught you to shoot on. :lol: What's the beef with XD's? Is it the same as I.L.? Bunch of internet mall ninjas tell you it wasn't cool?
No, I actually went and looked at them after I shot yours... but I just can't get over the poor ergos and, well, the fugly... and at the time that I was looking, there seemed to be a lot of rusting issues.

jsxtreme
07-23-2010, 10:29 AM
No, I actually went and looked at them after I shot yours... but I just can't get over the poor ergos and, well, the fugly... and at the time that I was looking, there seemed to be a lot of rusting issues.

Yeah that was an ollllllld issue. Pre-melonite finish. They fixed that quickly. Ugly? It's not a god damn fashion show Mike, it's a carry gun. A damn fine one at that! They don't need trigger jobs like your precious M&P's. :lol:

Sorry for the hijack!

cmr
07-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Yup. Brought a muzzleloader there one time and it was the last time. The RO was a complete jerk. I followed the rules, keeping the power away from the firing line and on a table behind the "yellow line". Each time I loaded it, he was right there monitoring me. He harrassed me everytime "cease fire" was called by asking me to clear the action (which I reminded him that the action was open and the ram rod was down the barrel to indicate that it wasn't loaded). I had enough of him when he "informed" me that I was pointing a gun in an unsafe manner (I was loading the MZ with muzzle up, away from anyone...how else are you to load a MZ, horizontal?) and told him to shove it where the sun don't shine. I packed up my stuff and left. Haven't been back since.

PaulB84
07-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I am not looking forward to the day when we move back down state and have to shoot at ranges where encounters like this seem to be commonplace. I usually don't have any competition for range use where I go and if I do, there are now enough people who will allow me to shoot on there property if the others become a hassle. One of the many advantages of being isolated, I guess.

Fixed it for you Padre :smile:

sfcmark
08-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Just trying to save the target frames from being shot to hell. New RO being trained did not know about portable frames and where targets go. Like someone else said below, try "walking in my shoes" ......I think you will form a different opinion of the RO's. if you can just try to see it from out side.

ric426
08-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Personally, I was recently very grateful to the Range Officer at Island Lake who politely but firmly asked the shooter next to me to leave the range and have his gun checked before returning to the range, after he swept me and the rest of the line a second time with a loaded Ruger MkII that continued to jam after every shot. The shooter was warned and corrected by the Range Officer the first time he did it after I jumped back from the line when I glanced over and saw the muzzle swing at me as he wrestled with the gun. I felt a lot better knowing that the Range Officer was keeping an eye on him and took immediate action when he repeated his carelessness.
I can't imagine myself maintaining the patience it must take to keep that range under control on a busy weekend without getting a little testy by the end of the day.

sfcmark
08-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Thank you!

Hawgrider
08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah keep up the good work. The rules are needed to keep the constant flow of idiots under control. No one likes going home after a fun day at the range with a bullet in there back.

polishnightmare
08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
We are talking Island Lake no IL. I am sure to that the RO in IL are not jerks like the ones at Island Lake.

yakobvee
08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Dont let some of the negative posts about DNR ranges discourage you from using the range. Its a great place to sight in your weapons. Cost is minimal especially if you buy an annual park sticker anyway. But its not the place for you if your looking to practice for self defense or just dump full mags into the dirt.
Most although not all people that complain about the DNR ranges are the ones that dont understand and follow the rules. If the rules are not posted for some reason ask the RO when arriving and you'll save yourself some embarrassment and hassle.

Ive never went out to I.L. but, I do go to Pontiac Lake DNR range and when they(R.O.'s) get to know you they kinda warm up. Im there 3-4 time per month. Most of them reconize me and all is will. Last time my son and mysef were there he got 100% and I got a 99% because I was standing with the bench on my left and set my pistol down on the left side. With the wepon set this way the R.O. could not see in the chamber. I think he just wanted to say something to me because, the slide was locked back with no mag. Whatever we still had a good time and made fun of him on the way home!!!!!:laugh: :roflmao: :D :p