PDA

View Full Version : 2004 House Bill 5989 (Streamline concealed pistol license (C

cliffd
06-15-2004, 10:03 AM
2004 House Bill 5989 (Streamline concealed pistol license (CPL) renewals):
Introduced by Rep. Gene DeRossett on June 9, 2004, to require concealed weapon
licensing board to issue or deny a concealed pistol license (CPL) renewal within
30 days after the application is properly submitted, and if they do not do so,
to extend the original license for 180 days or until the renewal is issued or
denied, whichever comes first. Also, to waive the fingerprint requirements for
CPL renewals, and not charge fees for fingerprints required for a CPL
Details and Comments: http://www.michiganvotes.org/2004-HB-5989

bluethunder
06-15-2004, 11:31 AM
That could be a sweet bill. :D The Govt. making it easier for us law-abiding citizens to renew our permits.

Divegeek
06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
I have always liked Gene DeRosset! He used to be my Rep. until they redrew the district lines. My new rep is just as pro-gun though so I don't really mind. I hope Gene wins the election this year, because we can always use another good pro-gun politician.

Jim Simmons
06-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Take a look in the politics thread for a couple of comments about it.

The fingerprint thing won't happen, because MSP didn't keep our fingerprints from the first time around.

45 acp
06-15-2004, 05:19 PM
The bill was referred to the Committee on Conservation and Outdoor Recreation.

What the heck does that committee have to do with CCW

One of Many
06-15-2004, 08:03 PM
I do not understand why it would be necessary to run a new set of fingerprints just because the MSP did not keep the original set.

As I understand, The FBI keeps a digitized set on file for every person they have ever received a set of fingerprints from. Fingerprints don't change unless someone accidentaly or deliberately injures the pad, causing scar tissue to form, and that usually is not going to occur on all of the fingers of an individual.

Fingerprints are for establishing identity, not for determining a persons fitness to carry a firearm. The original CPL process established the identity by fingerprints and photos, and returned a clearance on the fingerprint match saying there was no open case waiting for a match on those fingerprints. The Gun Board keeps a file for every applicant, including photocopies (in my case they required and kept a second photograph), so when you renew they already know your identity. A second set of fingerprints is unnecessary.

Does the Gun Board really believe that a CPL holder would send in a ringer to apply for their renewal?

Jim Simmons
06-15-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure that the FBI does keep a digitized set, and in any case, that's not necessarily helpful. MSP is the primary authority in Michigan. Unless they keep a set, we're out of luck.

AFAIK, the gun board does not keep a set. Remember: they take one set now. That set goes to the Sheriff, the MSP, then to the FBI and back to MSP. That's where they get dumped.

And yes, they are checked against criminal records, not just to verify identity. How is that possible if prints aren't otherwise on file?

Let's get MSP the hardware they need to keep prints, then we can discuss eliminating the need for new prints at renewal.

WhoIsJohnGalt
06-16-2004, 02:54 AM
They should be receptive to that angle.......

Jim Simmons
06-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Yes, but that's easier said that done in this year's fiscal atmosphere.

gjgalligan
06-16-2004, 10:31 AM
My guess is the reason prints have to be taken for renewal is so that somebody can't "steal" your name and get a CPL with their picture but your name.
The state wants to make sure it is REALLY you asking for the renewal.