PDA

View Full Version : Early Doe Season

JC31
07-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone had land that they were willing to lease (or just grant access) in the SE michigan area for the early doe season in Sept? Only looking for access for those couple of days - not the regular archery or firearm seasons.

wardog6t
07-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Is this a Youth Early hunt?

burle1812
07-11-2010, 05:04 PM
think he means early firearm which is slated for Sept 17-21 youth is 26th to 27th

Ruger
07-11-2010, 05:39 PM
You mean the doe slaughtering season! and then the 'Hey let's kill all the mature bucks before they've had a chance to breed season" AKA the youth hunt!

All this was not the design of our DNR but by the Farm Bureau and the insurance companies. Thin the herd! Every wild life biologist has said the same thing "control is established through denial of breeding"

I don't buy it! And I never will. It may just be my age but I remember when deer were plentiful and you saw many of them on opening day and now the biggest complaint is "I didn't see any opening day" in my area where I hunt state land exclusively I haven't seen a deer on opening day in 7 years and I hunt a DNR rye field that has so much cover around it that you can only get in by machete. We found one bed in 60 acres of what used to be (and I mean 50 years or more) of excellent hunting area....

A friend invited me to Glennie to hunt last year and he had a few deer working his property but I'm not one to take a spike and that's all we saw for 4 days.

It ain't the same place anymore............ :(

burle1812
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM
from my experience, I've hunted central Livingston co in the Cohoctah twp area, my brother in law has 12 acres and we've seen nothing but improvement in the deer herd. Last year we saw a 8 pointer (if it wasn't archery season and 100+ yds away he would have be a wall hanger) and that was unheard of on his property - he's lived there 25 years.

wardog6t
07-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Have to agree although the total deer numbers have dropped significantly in the past few years the buck to doe ratio is much better with more and more quality bucks. The last 3 years I have actually been passing on a lot of deer and its paid off. Mind you I hunt on State land in the CORE of the TB zones both 060 and 452 where they have handed out unlimited doe permits. I have no problem putting meat in the freezer and mounting horns on the wall.

Ruger
07-11-2010, 09:10 PM
from my experience, I've hunted central Livingston co in the Cohoctah twp area, my brother in law has 12 acres and we've seen nothing but improvement in the deer herd. Last year we saw a 8 pointer (if it wasn't archery season and 100+ yds away he would have be a wall hanger) and that was unheard of on his property - he's lived there 25 years.

Have to agree although the total deer numbers have dropped significantly in the past few years the buck to doe ratio is much better with more and more quality bucks. The last 3 years I have actually been passing on a lot of deer and its paid off. Mind you I hunt on State land in the CORE of the TB zones both 060 and 452 where they have handed out unlimited doe permits. I have no problem putting meat in the freezer and mounting horns on the wall.

You both may be right for your area, I'm in Fairview and Opening day and the 3 days after I counted less then 15 shoots that were within miles of where I hunt. And the usual traffic on the fire trails in that area has all but disappeared. The clear cutting in my area has changed the way deer move and even the places where I know the owners have put out sugar beets and carrots has suffered as well. Boilingsprings hunt club has 300 members and last year only 20 of them harvested antlered deer out of a 10 square mile area. Not one was a trophy in my book. I guess I need to hunt closer to home because I see more deer right here WaCo then I've seen in the Mio/Fairview area the last 5 or 6 years.

wardog6t
07-11-2010, 09:25 PM
IMO Gun season sucks anywhere off m-33 do to the pressure. I spent two weeks in my area last year for the week before an after the opener. Seems more people come up to bait the week prior to the opener and end up pushing the deer deep in the swamps/cover then the folowing weekend even more people show up. Normal hardwood/clear cut hunting just won't do IMO. if you can see and shoot more then 60yds your not in deep enough cover. More over people move. Get up at mid day and go to lunch again bumping deer driving them to cover. For three years prior to last I have killed several , One very nice trophy between 12-3pm. I rarely gun hunt past opening day and usually shoot the first deer for the food horns or not. As its pretty much a guarrantee of getting a doe permit.

Most of my buck hunting is done while the rut is in progress during the bow season.

JC31
07-12-2010, 08:25 AM
All I am looking for is a piece of property where my wife and I can hunt the early doe season in Sept. (not the youth hunt). We are only looking to take 1-2 does (not yearlings or buttons).

Ruger
07-12-2010, 09:13 AM
All I am looking for is a piece of property where my wife and I can hunt the early doe season in Sept. (not the youth hunt). We are only looking to take 1-2 does (not yearlings or buttons).

Sorry bud we jacked your thread.......:salute:

dpgperftest
07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
You mean the doe slaughtering season! and then the 'Hey let's kill all the mature bucks before they've had a chance to breed season" AKA the youth hunt!

All this was not the design of our DNR but by the Farm Bureau and the insurance companies. Thin the herd! Every wild life biologist has said the same thing "control is established through denial of breeding"

I don't buy it! And I never will. It may just be my age but I remember when deer were plentiful and you saw many of them on opening day and now the biggest complaint is "I didn't see any opening day" in my area where I hunt state land exclusively I haven't seen a deer on opening day in 7 years and I hunt a DNR rye field that has so much cover around it that you can only get in by machete. We found one bed in 60 acres of what used to be (and I mean 50 years or more) of excellent hunting area....

A friend invited me to Glennie to hunt last year and he had a few deer working his property but I'm not one to take a spike and that's all we saw for 4 days.

It ain't the same place anymore............ :(
+1

JC31
07-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Please Delete