PDA

View Full Version : A myriad of AR type questions....

pkuptruck
07-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Ok trainers and such, I have a few questions, and hope you might indulge me in some 'learnin and schoolin! :scratch:

my current m4-gery runs fine, in the limited situations I put it in.... but, I want to transition to a different
optic. ( right now it sports a 3x9 scope... great for paper...useless for others..

for me ( and I dont know if it applies to others, but probably...)
when sighting in at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards... there is so much difference in the Point of impact, as to make a single "crosshair" setting useless.

I see some of these 1-4x 30? optics, and wonder if there are multiple points on them, that will render this
appliction of mine.... moot. ( that is... a point for 25, 50 and 100 ... sort of like a compound bow sight set up, with various pins....)

If not.... how does one work within the limits of a single "dot" or chevron???

NEXT -

I like the 223/5.56. and I dont really care what other think! :getsum:
(I have enough ammo for it as well.... so that isnt an issue....)

BUT - have a chance to buy a 5.45 complete upper.

what is the general opinion of members here of the caliber?
of the available ammo... ( surplus russian, zinc Brown bear....etc..)

I would kindly like to ask folks to refrain from the "I like mine" type of comments, as it gets away from the meat and potatoes of the question....

wJAKE19
07-15-2010, 06:33 AM
as for the optic, a quality aimpoint/trijicon works great, know your zero and learn your hold over/under. know the zero and rezero, for most optics 36/300 or 50/200 is a good zero in yards.. this means if you zero at 36 yards the bullet will cross teh same sigt plane at 300,.. IMO the 50/200 is a good zero because there is less variance high/low out to 300.

as for non 556 uppers, I dont have any, someone else will chime in.

pkuptruck
07-15-2010, 09:21 AM
sort of what I am trying to see if I can get away from....

...with the ar, kind of wanted to ditch the "kentucky windage" and
get something that has multiple "hash" marks, or such, workable
for the 25 - 50 - 100 yard ranges ( or more....just an example...)

nothing more than a 4x, and the red dot is out.... ( single dot... which means more
kentucky windage....:-? )

As far as the 5.45x39 cartridge..... should I even CONSIDER it? or just spend the greenabcks on more 5.56 ammmo?:ak2:

RSF
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
sort of what I am trying to see if I can get away from....

...with the ar, kind of wanted to ditch the "kentucky windage" and
get something that has multiple "hash" marks, or such, workable
for the 25 - 50 - 100 yard ranges ( or more....just an example...)

nothing more than a 4x, and the red dot is out.... ( single dot... which means more
kentucky windage....:-? )

As far as the 5.45x39 cartridge..... should I even CONSIDER it? or just spend the greenabcks on more 5.56 ammmo?:ak2:

Your trying to take shortcuts your setup cant cash..
You do not need harsh marks for this, you need to learn to run the gun and get used to it. sorry to rain on the parade

i have used RDS to make hit out 300 yards its easy....

You zero at 50 yards pending you optic and bore over height you will be 1.5 high at 100 yards rounghly and inside of 25 yards approx 2.5 low

its the nature of the beast get used to it

hashes will make it slower to use in some situations unless just bench shooting

then there is the low to no light issue sing them as well depending on your needs

as for 545x39 uppers yes they are worth it i shoot a metric ton of surplus ammo each week

pkuptruck
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Your trying to take shortcuts your setup cant cash..
You do not need harsh marks for this, you need to learn to run the gun and get used to it. sorry to rain on the parade

i have used RDS to make hit out 300 yards its easy....

You zero at 50 yards pending you optic and bore over height you will be 1.5 high at 100 yards rounghly and inside of 25 yards approx 2.5 low

its the nature of the beast get used to it

hashes will make it slower to use in some situations unless just bench shooting

then there is the low to no light issue sing them as well depending on your needs

as for 545x39 uppers yes they are worth it i shoot a metric ton of surplus ammo each week

thanks for raining on my parade.....:whip:

LOL.

glad to hear the 5.45 is a "worthwhile" investment for me....:banana:

As for the optics, besides a "dot" what else is good? ( notice "good"...not $1 million great... but "good" , solid..... ( if you detect ...."frugal"...you would be right...LOL)

tororider
07-15-2010, 07:51 PM
NIKON has a bdc, or bullet drop compensator, reticle that does what I think you are asking for but I won't disagree with Steve. You should just know the drop for a given round.

donald150
07-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Anybody have one of these?

Adams Arms is Proud to Announce the Production of Our New 5.45x39 Corrosive Resistant Uppers

This 5.45x39 upper is ready to take on any ammo you can throw at it. Right now you can get over 2000 rounds of mil-surp 5.45x39 ammo for about $260. Now compare that to over $330 for only a 1000 rounds of the most economic ammo you can see that you'll be saving tons of $$$$$.

The normal downside to this round is that it is very corrosive and tends to wear out barrels and parts. So we built these uppers to be completely corrosive resistant allowing you to use it as much as you want and know that it is going to last. Each upper is built with an ionbonded bolt, a melonited barrel, a melonited flash hider, and a melonited Adams Arms piston system (which includes our one piece bolt carrier, drive rod, gas plug and gas block all melonited).

These uppers come to you complete with a 30 Round 5.45x39 magazine and a Wolff Extra Power Hammer Spring (for the old ammo with hardened primers).

Here are the upper specs:

16" Carbine Melonited barrel
1:8 Right Handed Twist
M4 contoured barrel
Chambered in 5.45x39 Russian
Melonited flash hider
30 round 5.45x39 magazine
Wolff extra power hammer spring
M4 style handguards
Adams Arms Upper Receiver
Adams Arms Piston system
Ionbonded bolt