PDA

View Full Version : Duck hunting Shotgun under $1,000?

Sxynerd
07-18-2010, 06:22 PM
2 questions:

My father in-law has been trying to get me to go duck hunting with him since we met and now that my wife and I are having a baby I think I need to go out and start "building the tradition." I do not hunt and have always had the policy that, "I don't shoot anything that did not shoot back."

I never had a father or anyone to hunt with or anything like that so hunting is as foreign to me as a hippie is with soap.

What are some quality shotguns around $1,000 that I will not have to ever buy a second time.

Also is anyone has any experience with the Thompson/Center Encore Pro Hunter muzzle loader please let me know your thoughts and if it truly is as good as they say.

art
07-18-2010, 08:36 PM
2 questions:What are some quality shotguns around $1,000 that I will not have to ever buy a second time.
Also is anyone has any experience with the Thompson/Center Encore Pro Hunter muzzle loader please let me know your thoughts and if it truly is as good as they say.
Remington 870 is a quality shotgun for just a few hundred bucks, and will serve you well.
The Encore muzzle loader is as good as they say.
This makes it better...waaayyyy better.
http://www.prbullet.com/prohntr.htm

hopeitsfast
07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Let me start by saying i'm not a hunter. Now please forgive me if this is just a dumb ass question, but why the hell would someone need to spend a grand on a shotgun for duck hunting? Are duck hunting shotguns 'different' then a regular shotgun?

Sxynerd
07-18-2010, 08:51 PM
When it comes to this, I want the best or as close to it as I can reasonably afford. What does everyone think of this?
Benelli Vinci 12ga 24" APG Camo

http://www.gunmasterinc.com/nss-folder/pictures/silo_4000_vinci_12_apg_ct_field.jpg
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_919/products_id/411541400

I should also say, this will be for all types of bird hunting as well but primarily for ducks.

I'm sure I could spend $250 on a cheap shotgun and be just accurate or inaccurate with it as I could with a 1000 shotgun but I want to buy the best I can afford. I do not believe in buying cheap, if there's one lesson I've learned it's when you go cheap, you pay the twice the price in the end.

RPMO6
07-18-2010, 08:55 PM
What are some quality shotguns around $1,000 that I will not have to ever buy a second time.
IMHO, you can't go wrong with an 870. I would guess one could be had for around half of your projected budget. Spend the rest on a good set of waders, warm clothes and camo!

Super Mag and Camo for waterfowl.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-super-mag-turkey-waterfowl.aspx

if there's one lesson I've learned it's when you go cheap, you pay the twice the price in the end.
Not with an 870.

It's your money, spend it as you see fit. Personally, I get a kick out of outshooting someone with a very expensive gun using my $300 Remy.

Best of luck with your choice and your hunting :thumbup:.

Billetproof
07-19-2010, 02:05 AM
You can't go wrong with a Remington 1187, great gun, semi auto, 3 (3 1/2 with a super mag) inch chamber. Fast second shots are a must duck hunting and I prefer a semi over a pump. Camo or flat finishes are preferred. Here is a listing from MGO for an excellant shotgun for ducks or geese. It's $500, which is a good price if it is in good shape and will do any duck or bird hunting you might want to get into.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97354&highlight=1187

PaulB84
07-19-2010, 08:51 AM
My first experience with guns was upland bird and game hunting as well as waterfowling. It's a wonderful way to introduce kids to guns/hunting. As a result of my childhood, I believe I know more about shotguns than any type of gun

I am of your mindset, buy the best you can afford. You will never regret spending hard earned money on a top of the line hunting gun. You son/daughter will thank you one day.

If it was to be a dedicated waterfowling gun,I would say get an all camo synthetic 3 1/2" of some kind with a 28-32" barrel

If you want to do bird hunting of other kinds later down the road, you might want something a bit more versitle

When wingshooting, as many have said, seconds count (pun intended)

while a heavy duty ultra reliable pump like the 870 is not necessary if you're not hunting things that don't hunt back, nobody like jams.

Keep in mind that in every waterfowling zone I have ever hunted, the magazine must be plugged to allow only 3 shells in the gun at any one time. There is also usually an overall shell limit. You cannot hop in the duck boat with a case of shells and have at it. And NOBODY likes a skybuster

The 3 shell limit applies to all Federal migratory game birds, including some uplands like woodcock, rails, snipe, dove etc

That said, have you considered a double? side-by-sides are my absolute favorite type of shotgun, followed closely by over-unders. Until you have fired one, you dont realize how "quiet" a shotgun can be, by which I mean no clanging of actions and bolts, no shells slamming into the receiver, no push-pull action changing the balance of the gun. They are wonderful, even the cheapo's like my Zabala 12 gauge SXS I bought at a gun show for a couple hundred bucks years and years ago. Unfortunately in this country, SXS's have been out of favor for some time, which leaves you with the very cheap and the very expensive. There is one seller on GB who has several Zabala SXS 12 gauges. I have been eyeing one for some time. for $300, you can't go wrong. An OU will afford you many more choices.

With your price range, you could afford a very very nice shotgun. A few years ago (more than a few actually) I picked up a Browning Citori OU for my father for about $750. that was a steal. A year later at a garage sale I found a genuine browning leather/sheepskin takedown case for about $50 (thats about $300-$400) There are great deals out there

If you choose to go the auto route, I would point you towards a used, excellent shape Belgium-made Browning Auto-5. the humpback looks screwy as hell, I know, but if you can get over the way it looks it is a remarkable shotgun. I have one in 12, 16 and 20. Recoil operated, the right way IMHO, no gas ports to clog and remarkablely clean and eats up about half the felt recoil. The "hump back" also makes for a great sighting plane I started hunting with one that had a 26" solid rib barrel and the stock chopped (very nicely) about 2" off, by the old man across the street who sold it to my father. A faster handling blind gun there is not. And the shortened stock makes it ideal for youngsters.

the Benelli you posted is also very much on the right track. I know I dont have to say this, but in the modern autoloading shotgun world, Benelli really is peerless. Personally I like old guns :D

Since the 3 shell rule applies, you're only giving up 1 shell to the autos/pumps by getting a double barrel. In return, you get 2 of the quickest shots on the planet through different chokes, as well as looking like a "gentleman" :) that last part doesnt really matter, but then again it kinda does. In addition, I can get 4 shots out of a SXS or OU as fast as most can out of a 3 shot auto with a reload.

Lastly, for dedicated waterfowling, consider a 10 gauge. I know, I know. The 3 1/2" 12 is almost ballistically the same. So what. Not everything about hunting has to be practical. and the shells that are made for the 10 are almost exclusively non-toxic shot for waterfowling, so you have plenty available, esp around duck season. steel/bismuth/tungsten is all heinously expensive anyway in 12, so what the hell. in return, you get range and patterns 2 3/4 or 3" 12's can only dream about.

here are a few guns I think would fit the bill, I've included GB links to a few

A nice SXS or OU. Browning Citori, Weatherby Orion, Ruger Red Label. I threw in a link to a Zabala SXS 10 gauge just for kicks. Ive been eyeing that thing for MONTHS :wink:

A nice auto loader. The Benellis, Brownings, remmy 1187 are all great choices

Sorry for the unbelievably long post. I could chat about scatterguns all day :) Best of luck.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180123147
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179973187#PIC
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179529876#PIC
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=177969752#PIC
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179919740
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=178992336#PIC

m44
07-19-2010, 10:57 AM
"I don't shoot anything that did not shoot back."

Nothing against you (I mean that), but why? You eat meat right? I assure you that the cow that made the last burger you ate did not die in a shootout with a butcher. :biggrin:

Hunting is a great way to spend time, and as you stated, to build tradition. If you want to buy the best that you can afford, then no one here has a right to tell you otherwise. That said, there is much to be said for the idea of buying a nice 870 (you could add accessories as you see fit and build a custom gun for yourself for half your budget), and then buying a good pair of waders - they can be quite expensive ($200-500). That's not to mention calls, decoys, a boat (if you plan to shoot from water), a blind (shooting from land?), a coat (figure another $100-250), and licenses.

It doesn't mean much, but another thing to consider may be what your father in-law is shooting. Some old timers who shoot cheaper (or just older) firearms don't take kindly to being shown up (as far as guns go) by a novice hunter. I know my girlfriend's dad would laugh at me derisively if I brought a $1000 shotgun hunting and got zero birds, versus his $200 shotgun and the meeting of his bag limit. Just something to consider.

Jmoney
07-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I have been waterfowl hunting for going on six years now. I to was introduced to it by my FIL my only caution to you is that it is extremely addictive! I started out with a Mosseburg 500 wich worked o.k. after a couple of seasons I upgraded to a Remington 870 Super magnum. I am looking to up grade this season to a Bennelli Super Black Eagle. I would caution against any gas operated shotgun as I have seen them fail in extreme conditions esp. cold weather. If you go for a semi get an inertia driven action. I personally liked a pump but sometimes that second shot doesn't come fast enough. I would also add that many times shot size and type i.e. steel vs tungsten can make a bigger difference than 3" or 3 1/2". E.g. a 3" shell with tungsten is far more effective than a 3 1/2" shell with steel. One last piece of advice do not skimp on your cold weather gear get good stuff! It won't matter if you have the best gun in the world if your fingers are to stiff to pull a trigger!!!

Oh PS, you probably won't like the taste of duck and geese so you can just drop them off at my place... :naughty:

Sxynerd
07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Nothing against you (I mean that), but why? You eat meat right? I assure you that the cow that made the last burger you ate did not die in a shootout with a butcher. :biggrin:

Hunting is a great way to spend time, and as you stated, to build tradition. If you want to buy the best that you can afford, then no one here has a right to tell you otherwise. That said, there is much to be said for the idea of buying a nice 870 (you could add accessories as you see fit and build a custom gun for yourself for half your budget), and then buying a good pair of waders - they can be quite expensive ($200-500). That's not to mention calls, decoys, a boat (if you plan to shoot from water), a blind (shooting from land?), a coat (figure another $100-250), and licenses.

It doesn't mean much, but another thing to consider may be what your father in-law is shooting. Some old timers who shoot cheaper (or just older) firearms don't take kindly to being shown up (as far as guns go) by a novice hunter. I know my girlfriend's dad would laugh at me derisively if I brought a $1000 shotgun hunting and got zero birds, versus his $200 shotgun and the meeting of his bag limit. Just something to consider.

Actually, no I don't eat meat, lol. Not that I haven
it enjoyed it though. It's just a part of my diet.

I realize it's a great way to spend time with family which if everyone would have read my first post I said, "Start the tradition." I said that because I recognize the value of that kind of time spent with family.

I never had anyone to take me hunting since the only "biological factor" I had died of an overdose and my "Big Brother program" appointed Brothers just ended up bangin my real mom. By the the time I was adopted my pastor was in his 70's and couldn't take me.

Joining the Military at 17 was my first experience with shooting. I never had a chance to hunt. Now that I'm 33 with my first kid on the way, it's time to learn and enjoy. I'm an outdoor fanatic so this should just be a natural evolution of that.

All that being said, I'm going to Bass Pro right now to get the feel of some guns and compare the swings. Hopefully I don't get a salesman that knows a little and sells hard.

m44
07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Actually, no I don't eat meat, lol. Not that I haven
it enjoyed it though. It's just a part of my diet.

:shock: And with that, I shall shut up! :laughing:

Congrats on the baby, by the way!

Billetproof
07-19-2010, 01:21 PM
If it was to be a dedicated waterfowling gun,I would say get an all camo synthetic 3 1/2" of some kind with a 28-32" barrel

If you want to do bird hunting of other kinds later down the road, you might want something a bit more versitle

When wingshooting, as many have said, seconds count (pun intended)
Definitely a 3 or 3 1/2 inch chamber, steel shot doesn't carry or have the impact of lead and the magnum shells are the only way to go.

That said, have you considered a double? side-by-sides are my absolute favorite type of shotgun, followed closely by over-unders. Until you have fired one, you dont realize how "quiet" a shotgun can be, by which I mean no clanging of actions and bolts, no shells slamming into the receiver, no push-pull action changing the balance of the gun. They are wonderful, even the cheapo's like my Zabala 12 gauge SXS I bought at a gun show for a couple hundred bucks years and years ago. Unfortunately in this country, SXS's have been out of favor for some time, which leaves you with the very cheap and the very expensive. There is one seller on GB who has several Zabala SXS 12 gauges. I have been eyeing one for some time. for $300, you can't go wrong. An OU will afford you many more choices.

With your price range, you could afford a very very nice shotgun.
Duck hunting is done mostly in cold and wet weather in duck boats or blinds. Not someplace I'm taking my 101 Pigeon Grade, unless you have something to prove or pick up a beat up or cheap double, it's not something I'd want to take duck hunting.

If you choose to go the auto route, I would point you towards a used, excellent shape Belgium-made Browning Auto-5. the humpback looks screwy as hell, I know, but if you can get over the way it looks it is a remarkable shotgun. I have one in 12, 16 and 20. Recoil operated, the right way IMHO, no gas ports to clog and remarkablely clean and eats up about half the felt recoil. The "hump back" also makes for a great sighting plane I started hunting with one that had a 26" solid rib barrel and the stock chopped (very nicely) about 2" off, by the old man across the street who sold it to my father. A faster handling blind gun there is not. And the shortened stock makes it ideal for youngsters.
Browning A-5's are great shotguns, just make sure it is a magnum (3 inch chamber). Not a lot of them out there.

Lastly, for dedicated waterfowling, consider a 10 gauge. I know, I know. The 3 1/2" 12 is almost ballistically the same. So what. Not everything about hunting has to be practical. and the shells that are made for the 10 are almost exclusively non-toxic shot for waterfowling, so you have plenty available, esp around duck season. steel/bismuth/tungsten is all heinously expensive anyway in 12, so what the hell. in return, you get range and patterns 2 3/4 or 3" 12's can only dream about.

Stay away from the 10 gauges, it is a dying shell. You can pick up a Browning BPS10 cheap anymore but it's heavy, kicks like a mule, & shells are limited. 10's are overkill on ducks and mostly used for goose hunting. A 3 1/2 supermag will give you the versatility to use 2 3/4, 3, or 3 /12 inch shells to hunt about anything you want. I picked up a Remmy Supermag this summer and my BPS10 will probably never leave the safe again.

Sxynerd
07-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Just got back from BassPro and the Benelli Venci is definitely the gun for me. At only $1300 I consider it a very good deal. I called another gun shop today and they have it for 1209 in camo so I'll be taking a trip up there tomorrow and snatch it up. I still wasn't able to fondle the Maxus so before I slap down the money tomorrow, if they have one, I'll be sure to swing it a few times and see what I think.

Does someone have to spend a $1000+ on a good gun? No, but if you can afford it and it's what you want, I say, "why limit yourself?". I will also be using this for more than just Ducks. Hopefully I'll be able to hit up some other small same and pheasants a few times a year as well.

You guys have been a big help and I appreciate everyone's input even though I'm going against what most of your popular answers have been.

Money does mean a lot to me but if it's something I want, and the finances are there, I might as well do it. If I buy this gun, I just need to hold off on picking up the other new pistol I want. I'm not really missing out on much since I'll eventually get it anyway.

A man once said, "We make ourselves afford what we want in life by the standards we set for ourselves." -me:wink:

Billetproof
07-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Nice choice, good guns are worth the money, especially Benelli's. They hold their value well, shoot great, & are nice looking. If you're spending that much, try to get the dealer to give you a discount on a case of steel shot.
Good Luck

PaulB84
07-19-2010, 06:22 PM
great choice. no one who knows guns could fault your decision. enjoy your new shotgun and like others said, be careful, bird hunting is as addictive as it gets :hick:

Toledo Kid
07-19-2010, 07:27 PM
At one time I bet I own a 100 shotguns from $50 to $40k.
For hunting I just like using the old gals.
Win M12, Rem 11-48 Couple old Rem 870-1100's, Ithaca 37, Brownings.
I paid $130 for my Rem 11-48.
It has one of the tightest chokes I have seen on a shotgun.
It has yet to fail me bring home the game. Any game that is...

You don't need $1000 shotgun to go get game or even to have fun...:brow:

Find one of them ole gals that have a bit of history and tell stories about it!!!

Sxynerd
07-19-2010, 07:35 PM

Find one of them ole gals that have a bit of history and tell stories about it!!!

Thanks, I decided on the Banelli though. I know I don't need to spend that much on a gun but I really did want the nicest gun I could get and for me that is the Venci.

Toledo Kid
07-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks, I decided on the Banelli though. I know I don't need to spend that much on a gun but I really did want the nicest gun I could get and for me that is the Venci. :thumbup:

VisuTrac
07-19-2010, 09:39 PM
12 ga is the most popular for duck hunting. but i have shot more ducks with my 20 ga. single shot H&R Topper Jr. (maybe 100 bucks) than my 12ga rem. 870.

you have the most ammo choices for a 12 ga.

I'll +1 on the Rem 870 in 12 ga., as for what shell length, 2 3/4, 3 or 3 1/2 inch.? it's all about picking your target, what type of shooting (pass or over deeks, over water,swamp or field). and practice. them summabeaches are fast especially when someone shoots at them just uprange from you.

as for a 1k gun, get a decent one and ammo, and camo, waders and more ammo and you'll still have money left over for more ammo for next season too.

PaulB84
07-20-2010, 06:59 AM

Ha! I paid $100 :p

Seriously those 11-48's are really really cool. Mine is a howitzer with a 32" full choke that measure .683! My remington extended extra full is .687! needless to say, patterns are TIGHT :)

Toledo Kid
07-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Ha! I paid $100 :p

Seriously those 11-48's are really really cool. Mine is a howitzer with a 32" full choke that measure .683! My remington extended extra full is .687! needless to say, patterns are TIGHT :)You know what I mean though. You take one out and it out shoots anything out there. Never needs much maintenance. Will last longer then my grand children's grand children or already has far as that goes and your holding a piece of history that only cost a $100 but it would be one of the last pieces you would ever want to get rid of....
I got a few of them like that. Rifles and Shotguns.
I cannot say enough about them...

PaulB84
07-23-2010, 07:24 PM
You know what I mean though. You take one out and it out shoots anything out there. Never needs much maintenance. Will last longer then my grand children's grand children or already has far as that goes and your holding a piece of history that only cost a $100 but it would be one of the last pieces you would ever want to get rid of....
I got a few of them like that. Rifles and Shotguns.
I cannot say enough about them...

+100

Sxynerd
07-25-2010, 07:42 PM
It's a little late now but why would someone want a 3.5" over a 3" shell?

All I'm going to be hunting is, Ducks, Pheasants, deer and other small woodland fluffys'.

Billetproof
07-26-2010, 01:59 AM

All I'm going to be hunting is, Ducks, Pheasants, deer and other small woodland fluffys'.
Read this discussion about 3 versus 3 1/2
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=150246
Hope this helps to answer any questions.
I bought a 3 1/2, so I can carry both shells when duck and goose season is open. That way I can leave the BPS10 at home but usually when I am duck hunting I don't have to worry about competition with other hunters.

ajmorell
07-28-2010, 12:52 PM

The only thing the 3.5" offers over the 3" is pattern density and quite a bit more recoil. I shoot a Win SX2 3.5" gun and have put a few boxes of 3.5" through it but generally speaking I only shoot 3" loads for both duck and geese.

jdarne01
11-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Hello, saw your ad. I have a Mossberg M535 waterfowl/turkey or deer 12 ga. combo for sale- go to my ad under long guns for sale by
jdarne01. It will more than "fill the bill" for what you're looking for at a very reasonable cost.

jdarne01
11-17-2015, 09:37 AM
Hello- this is jdarne01 again. I have used a Thompson/Center Encore 209X50 muzzleloader for several years (fore runner to today's Pro Hunter) and it, in my opinion, is the most accurate and powerful, not to mention good looking muzzleloaders on the market. It is for sale. Do yourself a favor and look up my ad under
"long guns for sale". I am offering for sale an amazing bargain- not only for the muzzleloader itself, but with all the "extras" I'm throwing in ( would exceed $200 if purchased separately). The "extras" include "EVERYTHING" to not only get you into the field hunting, but all the tools, powder, shooting, cleaning and maintenance accessories to care for this amazingly most powerful muzzleloader topped with a superior Bausch and Lomb "whitetail) variable scope. You can email me at
jimdarn@comcast.net or call my cell at 734-775-9187. Thanks. Oh, by the way, the ONLY reason I'm selling is due to my wife's medical situation, which requires
my time nearly 24/7.

hunterspirit
11-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Hello, saw your ad. I have a Mossberg M535 waterfowl/turkey or deer 12 ga. combo for sale- go to my ad under long guns for sale by
jdarne01. It will more than "fill the bill" for what you're looking for at a very reasonable cost.
Did you also happen to see "Account Closed" under user name?? Not to mention the OP has probably started duck hunting with his choice of gun since 2010.

gunstar
12-01-2015, 03:24 AM
I can say about Remington 1187. i have it and I am completely satisfied.

jdarne01
04-15-2017, 11:48 AM
The T/C Encore muzzleloader, the most powerful and most accurate in the world, is not only the best Game-getter" out there, it is also of the finest
quality, AND it looks damn good too….

42769vette
04-16-2017, 08:01 AM
I'm in the middle of this right now. I started duck hunting last year, and couldn't figure out why someone would want a 1500 dollar shotgun for this, so I bought a Mossberg 935. I knew I wanted 12ga that shoots 3.5 inch shells and semi auto, and the Mossberg was reasonable, and worked all season. They guy teaching me to hunt uses a Browning A5. My gun worked fine all season, and now we are to off season practice. Obviously it only makes sense to practice with the gun I hunt with, but I don't want to shoot clays with expensive 3, or 3.5 inch shells, so I buy a bunch of Walmart special 2 3/4 7.5 shot (maybe 8's).

That's when I learned the difference, my buddies A5 runs the low power shells like a champ. My semi auto Mossberg became a single shot. Now I'm looking for a new gun so I can practice with what I hunt with.

xtrema312
05-03-2017, 07:02 AM
I've had many many shotguns. I've waterfowl and Upland bird hunted for 40 years. I've had the benelli and a Beretta semi autos in multiple versions. I've spent a lot of time shooting three and three and a half inch 12 gauge shells. You really have to put pellets on paper to really see what you're gaining with the bigger shells. After many years experimenting and gun swapping, my high-dollar three and a half inch guns are gone. I routinely shoot my 3" 12 gauge Remington 870 SPS. I waste few shells and my hit rate is higher with a pump than an auto. In the self-defense situation they say you can't miss fast enough , in bird hunting you can surely Miss fast enough and waste three shells hit and nothing. You're better off to take just a couple more seconds most times on follow-up shots; you find your success rate will be much better. A 3 inch shell properly selected and tested for your gun can do anything a 3 1/2 will do. Unless of course your interest is trying to kill something as far away as possible. Hunting for me is a little bit more about being skilled and bringing the bird's in at a reasonable distance and shooting them. If that's what you want to do to have the challenge of being good at what you're doing, you don't need the biggest possible gun in the world. I've also found that a duck blind, boat, layout blind, brush pile, ditch or anything generally related to duck hunting and goose hunting for me involves a whole lot of mud, dirt, wet and unintentional abuse of a gun. I prefer to have a gun I shoot well that is reasonably priced and does the job without beating the heck out of a $1,500 gun, and I have done that. I save the high dollar guns for targets and upland. Waterfowl hunting can nge an expensive sport. You can pour thousands and thousands into clothing, guns, related equipment, boats, blinds, decoys, calls and maybe even a dog. Unless you're loaded with cash, don't spend a whole lot of unnecessary money where you don't need it. There's plenty of other things to spend the money on in that sport.

duck hinter
05-13-2017, 04:16 PM
My duck gun is a Mossberg 500. It cost $400 new with a 28 in barrel and a rifled slug barrel. What ever you buy take it and practice a few times before you go out.

alfredturner
05-27-2017, 04:34 AM
Hi, that Cleaning up the T/C Encore Pro Hunter is good.

Sledhead
05-27-2017, 04:53 AM
Let me start by saying i'm not a hunter. Now please forgive me if this is just a dumb ass question, but why the hell would someone need to spend a grand on a shotgun for duck hunting? Are duck hunting shotguns 'different' then a regular shotgun?

I thought the same thing and I think I still do. But I've been checking out a local gun store online and he is selling, listing, shotguns from $150 up to $10,000. Someone must buy them.