PDA

View Full Version : So its time for my first BUG

Rich3077
07-20-2010, 09:49 PM
This is what I have in mind (Taurus CIA MODEL 650 .357 Mag)

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=267&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=CIA

I have only found one review on the gun, and it was not good.. but I am not gonna base my opinion on one review.

The gun will literally go into my pocket, jacket pocket in the winter.

I plan on using Hornady Critical Defence in .357 with this pistol.

hopeitsfast
07-20-2010, 10:06 PM
What is your main carry gun?

Rich3077
07-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Glock 23 .40 S&W

hopeitsfast
07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
What makes you want to go with a different caliber/system? Why not a Glock 27? Do you want to go smaller, or just want something different? I'm just wondering the thought behind the choice.

Rich3077
07-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, revolvers are dependable... and I really don't want a Glock for my "Pocket Gun" Because due to its lack of a safety I may shoot my nads off.
With the revolver, even if I don't engage the safety it takes enough force to pull the trigger that I wouldn't even be concerned not using the safety.

hopeitsfast
07-20-2010, 10:23 PM
I hear ya. Don't want to shoot your nads off. :D

Joeywhat
07-20-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't get it...what safeties does the revolver have that the Glock doesn't?

I'd go with a G27...more ammo in the gun, less recoil, easier trigger pull, faster reloads, can use same mag as primary, and overall probably the same size, maybe slightly larger.

You CAN make the Glock trigger pull heavier, too.....

hopeitsfast
07-20-2010, 10:28 PM

I'd go with a G27...more ammo in the gun, less recoil, easier trigger pull, faster reloads, can use same mag as primary, and overall probably the same size, maybe slightly larger.

Or a vanguard. That thing is one handy little fella.

Rich3077
07-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Well, when I say "pocket gun" I pretty much mean just that, I wasn't planning on using a pocket holster, just kind of hanging out in my pocket. Not sure I trust a Glock to do that. I want to look natural when I tell the BG "Hold on, I have $40 in this pocket"

Rich3077
07-20-2010, 10:40 PM

I don't wish to pay for a trigger job, sounds expensive.

TheTrainingTeamCPL
07-20-2010, 10:43 PM
and I really don't want a Glock for my "Pocket Gun" Because due to its lack of a safety I may shoot my nads off.

so now your a sharpshooter????

lol sorry couldnt resist.

Rich3077
07-20-2010, 10:46 PM
LOL, Good shot!!

TheTrainingTeamCPL
07-20-2010, 10:47 PM
LOL, Good shot!!

thanks.

Joeywhat
07-20-2010, 10:49 PM
I don't wish to pay for a trigger job, sounds expensive.

It's quite simple to swap out trigger parts in a Glock.

Vanguard covers the trigger guard, and is automatically removed when the pistol is drawn. Not like a pocket holster.

Rich3077
07-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I would have to see this trigger guard system as I am not familiar with it.

TheTrainingTeamCPL
07-20-2010, 10:53 PM
http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_97_119&products_id=1617

Rich3077
07-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Hmmm I will need to research these vanguards... this is new news to me.
Thanks for the link.

TheTrainingTeamCPL
07-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Hmmm I will need to research these vanguards... this is new news to me.
Thanks for the link.

no problem, its good stuff.

Billetproof
07-20-2010, 11:57 PM
And I thought he was buying his first Volkswagon?:biggrin:

Knightrider03m
07-21-2010, 01:07 AM

Yep, I never got the whole "revolvers are safer than autos"

CrimDoc
07-21-2010, 12:34 PM
First, let me say that I have a Glock 27 ... it's my primary carry gun.

Second, let me say that if you really want to put an extra "safety" on your Glock you can buy a "Glock Block" ... a plastic piece that goes behind the trigger. I usually carry mine that way.

Third, let me say that I understand Rich's concern ... a Glock w/ a 5-7 pound trigger pull is not the same as a double action revolver with a ~12 trigger pull.

Fourth, let me say that a G27 isn't really a pocket gun ... while it's not very large, it is heavy and thick. For a true pocket gun I'd look to something like one of the small 9mm Kahrs or the Ruger LCP.

Along those lines ... that .357 looks like a fine carry piece to me, I certainly think it's a good choice, but it seems a bit "heavy" for a BUG gun ... it's almost 25ozs. What's your primary carry gun? Are you sure you don't want something smaller / lighter?

hopeitsfast
07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
First, let me say that I have a Glock 27 ... it's my primary carry gun.

Second, let me say that if you really want to put an extra "safety" on your Glock you can buy a "Glock Block" ... a plastic piece that goes behind the trigger. I usually carry mine that way.

Third, let me say that I understand the Rich's concern ... a Glock w/ a 5-7 pound trigger pull is not the same as a double action revolver with a ~12 trigger pull.

Fourth, let me say that a G27 isn't really a pocket gun ... while it's not very large, it is heavy and thick. For a true pocket gun I'd look to something like one of the small 9mm Kahrs or the Ruger LCP.

Along those lines ... that .357 looks like a fine carry piece to me, I certainly think it's a good choice, but it seems a bit "heavy" for a BUG gun ... it's almost 25ozs. What's your primary carry gun? Are you sure you don't want something smaller / lighter?
His primary is a Glock 23, that is why the suggestion for a 27. Interchangeable mags and the same platform.

Rich3077
07-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I just came home from the gun store, because my CPL arrived in the mail today!!
:woohoo1:
I already have a Glock and if I was going to buy another I would just buy a Glock 21 and make my Glock 23 my BUG.
The 27 just didnt seem small enough or pocket freindly.
(Neither does a Glock 21, but I want a .45)

I didn't purchase anything today because the prices seemed a bit out of whack... so I must research first.

A friend of mine wants me to try a gun store in Bad Ax, makes since because there is not much money floating around those parts.... so things should be cheaper.

hopeitsfast
07-21-2010, 05:23 PM
If you still haven't made up your mind you should check out the Kahr PM9/40s. Those little guns are sweeeet.:D

And congrats on the CPL!!

Dansjeep2000
07-21-2010, 05:45 PM
I need to give a +1 for the Kahr line up. very nice BUGs

esq_stu
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
I sometimes combine a G19 and a G26. But usually it is a Glock and a pocket gun. I don't consider my G26 to be a pocket gun with most pants.

I had a Taurus 650. It was OK but not great. My usual BUG is an S&W 642, which I found to be 100% reliable (the 650 was not), or a PM9.

Rich3077
07-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I sometimes combine a G19 and a G26. But usually it is a Glock and a pocket gun. I don't consider my G26 to be a pocket gun with most pants.

I had a Taurus 650. It was OK but not great. My usual BUG is an S&W 642, which I found to be 100% reliable (the 650 was not), or a PM9.

Thanks for this post, you are the second person to tell me the Taurus 650 is not 100% reliable, therefore I will stay away from that gun. Looking at other options now.

hopeitsfast
07-21-2010, 08:26 PM
The Ruger LCR now comes in .357 if you want another option on a revolver.

toyamabarnard
07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I also have the 23 for my EDC. I went with a Charter UC Lite for the pocket gun. My reasonings were simple: cost, I grabbed the Charter for $300 compared to the cost of the 27. Weight, 12 oz unloaded. Pocket shot, I know you can shoot an auto from the pocket too, but no slide to come back if I'm in and akward grip.

.38 spl, not 357 though. I'll probablt get the .44 sometime, but I'm thinking that's more just to have one and the 27 would be better for a pocket that the .44.

YpsiMark
07-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Why the Taurus? Why not a J frame or an LCR. Every bit as good or better and its American made.

cmr
07-24-2010, 02:25 PM
This is what I have in mind (Taurus CIA MODEL 650 .357 Mag)
I'd pass on the Taurus. Too many issues with them, from personal experience and also from friends who have owned them.
If you're looking for a revolver for a BUG, then a Charter Arms or S&W would be my choice.
If you're looking for a semi-auto for a BUG, then I'd also recommend a Kahr or a Kel Tec PF9.

GarrettJ
07-24-2010, 07:09 PM
The gun will literally go into my pocket, jacket pocket in the winter.

...and I really don't want a Glock for my "Pocket Gun" Because due to its lack of a safety I may shoot my nads off...

Well, when I say "pocket gun" I pretty much mean just that, I wasn't planning on using a pocket holster, just kind of hanging out in my pocket. Not sure I trust a Glock to do that...

As one who has been there, I would suggest you reconsider. I've got a couple of pocket guns, and I find a pocket holster makes a world of difference.

I found when I started carrying guns in my pocket that the gun shape will print fairly easily in a lot of pants. You want a pocket holster that has a corner, which gives the gun more of a square shape. If you print, it will look more like a wallet shape.

Also, I find that without a pocket holster, the gun tends to slop around in the pocket more. It seems to find the spot that is least comfortable, and most likely to print. You can also get the muzzle / front sight to start wearing holes in the bottom of your pocket too. This is somewhat dependent on the shape of the gun, though.

And possibly the best benefit is that the pocket holster does cover your trigger, greatly reducing the likelihood of you "shooting your nads off".

If you are on a budget, I find the DeSantis Nemisis performs really well, and doesn't cost much. A 10 second Google search came up with a number of places selling them for as little as $15. If you're worried about your nads, this would seem to be cheap peace of mind.

http://arcticshootingsupply.us/ProductImages/nemesis.jpg

Rich3077
07-24-2010, 11:39 PM
I haven't posted in a couple days because work is kicking my butt, 16 hours a day sometimes.

I am now leaning towards a Kahr PM9 or PM40.
I would like the 9, but I have a whole lotta 40 ammo that I have collected,
like my prized Federal HST. (Cant find that in 9mm right now for some reason)

I may do a little shopping tomorrow.. if I can hold both guns in my hand that may help me decide.

marlin336
07-25-2010, 04:33 AM

just curious , how was the 650 not reliable?

jimbojr
07-25-2010, 07:05 AM
I'd pass on the Taurus. Too many issues with them, from personal experience and also from friends who have owned them.

I second this.
Think you would be better off finding a used Smith for the same $ or less.
But then again if you want a throw away that might be the way to go.

jmartin
07-25-2010, 10:21 PM

+1 on the S&W 642 - it's also my BUG (pocket holster, sometimes ankle holster)

Rich3077
07-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Okay, I just made my purchase from budsgunshop so there is no turning back now. I opted to purchase a Kahr PM9 Black on Black with night sights.

Thanks everyone for your help.. I have a feeling I will really enjoy this gun. I am also planning on ordering at least one of those DeSantis Nemisis holsters for this piece.

I know this is a long shot but does a holster resembling a Blackhawk Serpa exist for this gun?? Or at least a Fubus type holster?

I hope I will receive the gun by my next business day off which is Monday.

Peace, Love, and pretty little HST Flowers.

hopeitsfast
07-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Okay, I just made my purchase from budsgunshop so there is no turning back now. I opted to purchase a Kahr PM9 Black on Black with night sights.

Thanks everyone for your help.. I have a feeling I will really enjoy this gun. I am also planning on ordering at least one of those DeSantis Nemisis holsters for this piece.

I know this is a long shot but does a holster resembling a Blackhawk Serpa exist for this gun?? Or at least a Fubus type holster?

I hope I will receive the gun by my next business day off which is Monday.

Peace, Love, and pretty little HST Flowers.
As far as a pocket sized semi auto goes, IMO you can't do much better. Congrats.

GarrettJ
07-30-2010, 02:48 AM
A quick google search shows a paddle holster by Fobus (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=kahr+pm9+belt+holster&cid=473440537722421351&ei=5oJSTMTcH5OuNu6S6YQE&sa=title&ved=0CAwQ8wIwATgA#p), and another by Galco (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=kahr+pm9+belt+holster&cid=18118615207972444603&ei=coNSTKqzFpC8M-ubtIYE&sa=title&ved=0CCAQ8wIwAzgA#p). Personally, I never cared for the cheap feel of the Fobus holsters, but I've got a few Galcos that I'm happy with. For nearly the same price, that's the way I would lean.