PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a hunting license to get rid of coyotes or woodchucks?

SyntaxError
07-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm on 100 acres in the country that's overrun with woodchucks and coyotes.

Do i need a hunting license to shoot them for being the pests they are?

pgaplayerless
07-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm on 100 acres in the country that's overrun with woodchucks and coyotes.

Do i need a hunting license to shoot them for being the pests they are?

no. if it's your property

Jmoney
07-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Yes you do need a license... Its so expensive you probably don't want to bother buying one you should just have me come down and take care of them for you...:upto:

But really here is what the DNR website says

Small Game Hunting License

A small game license entitles you to hunt rabbit, hare, squirrel (fox and gray), pheasant, ruffed grouse, woodcock (HIP endorsement required), quail, crow, coyote (applies to Michigan residents only) and waterfowl (with a federal waterfowl stamp and Michigan waterfowl hunting license, if age 16 or older) during the open season. Opossum, porcupine, weasel, red squirrel, skunk, ground squirrel and woodchuck also may be taken year-round with a valid hunting license. No license is required for a resident, resident's spouse or resident's children to hunt small game on the enclosed farmlands where they live, except a federal waterfowl stamp and state waterfowl license are required to hunt waterfowl.

I would say based on this if your farming your land your good, otherwise a small game license is only $14. But I am no lawyer...

SyntaxError
07-21-2010, 10:03 PM
I never took hunter's safety.

Is that a requirement to get a small game license?

Jmoney
07-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Yes. To get any hunting license unless born before Jan 1st 1960

Michigan's Hunter Education Program
Hunter education in Michigan has taught thousands of people safe hunting techniques, firearm handling and hunter ethics. Hunter safety is required if you were born after January 1, 1960 and you want to purchase any Michigan hunting license, or if you are planning an out-of-state hunting trip.

From MI DNR website.

_DK_
07-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Small Game Hunting License A small game license entitles you to hunt rabbit, hare, squirrel (fox and gray), pheasant, ruffed grouse, woodcock (HIP endorsement required), quail, crow, coyote (applies to Michigan residents only) and waterfowl (with a federal waterfowl stamp and Michigan waterfowl hunting license, if age 16 or older) during the open season. Opossum, porcupine, weasel, red squirrel, skunk, ground squirrel and woodchuck also may be taken year-round with a valid hunting license. No license is required for a resident, resident's spouse or resident's children to hunt small game on the enclosed farmlands where they live, except a federal waterfowl stamp and state waterfowl license are required to hunt waterfowl.

No license if it's your "enclosed" farmland per http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10874-31236--,00.html

Remasculated
07-22-2010, 10:31 AM
No license if it's your "enclosed" farmland per http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10874-31236--,00.html

That's great. Define "farmland" for me, though.

I live on property zoned Agricultural 2 by the township, but there is nothing on my property to suggest it is a farm – no barn, no crops, etc. It is heavily-wooded. You couldn’t run a tractor on a straight line more than a couple hundred of feet without hitting a tree. My guess is my property does not meet the definition of what the DNR or the state considers "farmland."

Shyster
07-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Yes. To get any hunting license unless born before Jan 1st 1960

Michigan's Hunter Education Program
Hunter education in Michigan has taught thousands of people safe hunting techniques, firearm handling and hunter ethics. Hunter safety is required if you were born after January 1, 1960 and you want to purchase any Michigan hunting license, or if you are planning an out-of-state hunting trip.

From MI DNR website.
Unless, of course you had your first hunting license before the state started requiring Hunter's Safety classes. If so, you are grandfathered in. Like me.

_DK_
07-22-2010, 11:39 AM

I live on property zoned Agricultural 2 by the township, but there is nothing on my property to suggest it is a farm – no barn, no crops, etc. It is heavily-wooded. You couldn’t run a tractor on a straight line more than a couple hundred of feet without hitting a tree. My guess is my property does not meet the definition of what the DNR or the state considers "farmland."

Yup more confusing laws that are unnecessary... If it's fenced in and zoned Agricultural I would assume it meets the legal definition, but do you have the cash to find out. and IANAL

who dat
07-22-2010, 11:55 AM

So you're a tree farmer.

Remasculated
07-22-2010, 12:13 PM
So you're a tree farmer.

In order to qualify as a tree farmer, I think I'd actually have to plant a seedling every now and then.

I just cut the mature trees down when I need the room to build something. :upto:

Remasculated
07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Yup more confusing laws that are unnecessary...
And calling local and/or state agencies for help in defining such things is usually nothing more than an exercise in frustration. Having recently researched the issue of constructing a shooting range on my property, I can tell you that the answer you get depends upon who in state/local government happens to pick up the phone. It's almost like they have no knowledge of applicable law(s) within the area of their alleged expertise. Surely, that can't be the case. :crazy:

who dat
07-22-2010, 12:26 PM
In order to qualify as a tree farmer, I think I'd actually have to plant a seedling every now and then.

I just cut the mature trees down when I need the room to build something. :upto:
...and there is your harvesting technique.

who dat
07-22-2010, 12:28 PM
And calling local and/or state agencies for help in defining such things is usually nothing more than an exercise in frustration. Having recently researched the issue of constructing a shooting range on my property, I can tell you that the answer you get depends upon who in state/local government happens to pick up the phone. It's almost like they have no knowledge of applicable law(s) within the area of their alleged expertise. Surely, that can't be the case. :crazy:
You should have been on the line when I called the local PD, the Sheriff, the DNR, the township, the county and the MSP to find out where I could shoot on state land.

I could hear Benny Hill in the background.

Remasculated
07-22-2010, 12:34 PM
You should have been on the line when I called the local PD, the Sheriff, the DNR, the township, the county and the MSP to find out where I could shoot on state land.

I called the Flat River State Game Area several months ago to inquire about target shooting there, which I knew was permitted at one time, but wanted to make sure nothing had changed. I told the DNR person I'd be bringing along my own artificially constructed target, yada-yada-yada...

The guy told me I could indeed target shoot there, but would need a small game license. :bite:

I just said "thank you" and hung up.

mishooter
07-22-2010, 01:41 PM
My guess is my property does not meet the definition of what the DNR or the state considers "farmland."So plant some tomato plants :D

jcurtis
07-23-2010, 07:48 AM
I called the Flat River State Game Area several months ago to inquire about target shooting there, which I knew was permitted at one time, but wanted to make sure nothing had changed. I told the DNR person I'd be bringing along my own artificially constructed target, yada-yada-yada...

The guy told me I could indeed target shoot there, but would need a small game license. :bite:

I just said "thank you" and hung up.

Just use the range at the Belding Sportsmans Club. It is free and open to the public with 50 and 100 yard berms. It is actually on part of the Flat River SGA, which is why it is free and open, but it is maintained by the BSC.

jwright
08-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Just use the range at the Belding Sportsmans Club. It is free and open to the public with 50 and 100 yard berms. It is actually on part of the Flat River SGA, which is why it is free and open, but it is maintained by the BSC.

This is a really nice free range. We always try to make sure we take out more targets/trash than we bring in to help keep it free.

Leader
08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
At some point in history, that land was farmed. That makes it farmland.
Shoot the damn groundhogs and anyother small game you want to *IN SEASON*. (No closed season on groundhogs/woodchucks)

enigmatical
08-17-2010, 07:28 AM

That would probably be a correct assumption.

I don't think AG zoning has anything to do with hunting license requirements.

Either it is actively being farmed or it is not. It sounds like it is not a farm.

Leader
08-17-2010, 04:17 PM
That would probably be a correct assumption.

I don't think AG zoning has anything to do with hunting license requirements.

Either it is actively being farmed or it is not. It sounds like it is not a farm.

The law doesn't say anything about it being an "active" farm.
You may smallgame hunt on your own property without a license.

enigmatical
08-17-2010, 05:08 PM
The law doesn't say anything about it being an "active" farm.
You may smallgame hunt on your own property without a license.

I believe that your above statement that is bolded is an oversimplification of the law and as such, misleading and largely inaccurate.

It appears that those in doubt about what the law says should consult someone who understands the interpetation and application of the applicable law.

RPMO6
08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
I believe that your above statement that is bolded is an oversimplification of the law and as such, misleading and largely inaccurate.

May I ask why?

According to the dictionary:

farm·land   /ˈfɑrmˌlænd/ Show Spelled[fahrm-land] Show IPA
–noun
land under cultivation or capable of being cultivated:

Absent of a definition, does not a dictionary suffice?

enigmatical
08-18-2010, 06:48 AM
May I ask why?

According to the dictionary:

farm·land   /ˈfɑrmˌlænd/ Show Spelled[fahrm-land] Show IPA
–noun
land under cultivation or capable of being cultivated:

Absent of a definition, does not a dictionary suffice?

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(eirtcv45iekln1ipgc4szz55))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-324-43514

Simply owning what might be farmland does not appear to meet the criteria.

jcurtis
08-18-2010, 08:57 AM
In my opinion, it's safest to just get the $15 dollar license. I mean it's $15, it's valid for a year, and it allows you to go hunt other places.

Leader
08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Ok.. Lets go this way......

Show me ONE example of a landowner being ticketed for hunting on his own land.

therev
08-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Coyotes No license needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Seasons 2009-2010:

Coyote may be taken on private property by a property owner or designee all year if they are doing or about to do damage on private property. A license or written permit is not needed.

DocCasualty
08-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Coyotes No license needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Seasons 2009-2010:

Coyote may be taken on private property by a property owner or designee all year if they are doing or about to do damage on private property. A license or written permit is not needed.
My favorite line in any law of all time! I was just about to bring this up.

John Q. Citizen: "Honest Officer, I could see by the look in that 'yote's eye, he was about to do some damage".

C.O.: "Have a nice day, Mr. C!"

Is there anyway to be in violation of this law??

enigmatical
08-22-2010, 03:00 PM
My favorite line in any law of all time! I was just about to bring this up.

John Q. Citizen: "Honest Officer, I could see by the look in that 'yote's eye, he was about to do some damage".

C.O.: "Have a nice day, Mr. C!"

Is there anyway to be in violation of this law??

CO: "But, before I leave Mr John Q citizen, I gotta ask one thing. What was that coyote you killed without a license about to do damage to? Raising a leg on a bush doesn't quite cut it".

Why is it so many people seem focus on ways to circumvent the intent of the law?

who dat
08-24-2010, 09:58 AM
CO: "But, before I leave Mr John Q citizen, I gotta ask one thing. What was that coyote you killed without a license about to do damage to? Raising a leg on a bush doesn't quite cut it".

Why is it so many people seem focus on ways to circumvent the intent of the law?Are you referring to us or to the government?:biggrin:

oldskoolford427
08-24-2010, 11:33 AM

No he's a FREE RANGE TREE farm!!!!