PDA

View Full Version : Safe maintenance

Groo
07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
My family has a old school safe that is very hard to operate. It was my grandfather's business safe, but way to big for his uses (could hold short long guns if the shelves were removed), so I think he must have got it used (he also loved auctions).

are there safe tune-ups?
anything wrong with spraying down its workings with WD-40 or Break-free? (assuming I can get to them)

ps. before I saw the combination for this safe, I was under the impression that virtually all dial combinations used the standard 1R 2L R. this ones is quite a bit more complex. It is numbered up to 100 (not uncommon), but has a 4 number combo that starts out with 4 passes to the right, and goes on from there. how common is that in larger safes?

Roundballer
07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
are there safe tune-ups?
anything wrong with spraying down its workings with WD-40 or Break-free? (assuming I can get to them)Don't use WD-40, it is NOT a lubricant. It was designed to be Water Displacing. It will also dry out and leave a varnish like residue that will gum things up. Use a light oil of the type for sewing machines or Type writers.

ps. before I saw the combination for this safe, I was under the impression that virtually all dial combinations used the standard 1R 2L R. this ones is quite a bit more complex. It is numbered up to 100 (not uncommon), but has a 4 number combo that starts out with 4 passes to the right, and goes on from there. how common is that in larger safes?I have had experience with several safes that used a method as you describe: 4 passes, stopping on the first number, 3 passes stopping on the 2nd number, 2 passes stopping on the 3rd number, and once around to the 4th. I don't think that it is that uncommon.

esq_stu
07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I just acquired a Diebold office safe, I'd bet at least 50 years old, incredibly heavy and very thick-walled. 4R-4L-3R-2L-R. I'm not expecting to get to my guns in a hurry with that safe.

I've read that it's a good idea to have a locksmith do a clean and lube on it. I think WD40 leaves a film that gets very sticky. I'd do some research before spraying anything into the works, though I'm thinking Breakfree-CLP might be good. But I'm not taking any chances.

BlueWing
07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Do NOT use WD40.
We have to use spray lube all the time with my servicemen working on all kinds of Medical & non-Medical X-Ray & MRI Equipment.
If you want a good non-smelling spray lube. Go to Menards and get a red can of Slick 50. It works very well and does not smell bad.
If you want a really good spray lube. Go to Menards and get a black can of JB 80. This stuff is very, very good and very, very slippery & holds up really well. BUT, it does have a odor to it.
All WD40 is used for is to loosen bolts. It drys and leaves a film that makes matters worse for lubing anything.

Groo
07-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the pointers on the lubes.