PDA

View Full Version : Macomb County Question

CS40
07-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Is Macomb County's gun board policy that CPL applicants must attend a meeting and answer some questions? I have a friend that is in the process of applying for a permit over that way and he wasn't sure if that is part of the process or not so I wanted to clear that up for him.

Thanks for the answer.

Maranatha
07-27-2004, 10:09 AM
LAST I HEARD, THEY DO CALL YOU IN AND ASKED SOME VERY BASIC QUESTIONS.

G22
07-27-2004, 11:47 AM
My permit was issued on 8-23-03.
I had to go to the gun board in Macomb and answer a few easy questions.

They have your "complete" record there so be honest. It does not matter if you were convicted or not, they have it all right there in front of them.

They asked why you wanted a CPL. Everyone but one guy answered "for self protection", the one guy said so he could carry while hunting.

They ask if you have any felony or misdemeanors. Don't lie.
They will ask you about them, guaranteed. A lie = bye bye.
I had a drunk driving on my record from 10 years prior that they asked about. I told them I have never drove after drinking since. Which is the truth.

They schedule by last name, I went with all the W's.
All were approved.

That was all. Very fast, very painless.
Was I slightly nervous the first time, I wont be the next!! 8)

Slatherd
07-27-2004, 12:19 PM
thats irritating that they even do that. Isnt this uniformity of the CCW law the reason this was supposed to stop? No prefferential treatment? I realize they are asking all the same questions, but they dont do this is oakland, or gennesse?

This "extra" steep needs to stop. no where does it say that you are held to extra questioning at the county disgression. If this is the case, they might as well go back to how it was before mi got CCW.

CS40
07-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the excellent info, I will pass it all along.

I agree with the comment about the uniformity. I believe the intent of the revised law was to create a "shall issue" situation where people are not denied because they aren't friends with the sheriff or county executive, but every county still seems to have its differences in the process by which you get there. Some want reference letters, some want doctor's notes, and apparently some want you to still go to the meeting and state your reasons.

ANIMAL
07-27-2004, 09:01 PM
G22, so tell us what it was like on the group W bench.

Jim Simmons
07-27-2004, 11:19 PM
It's my understanding that the Macomb Gun Board isn't calling renewals in for the interview.

Slatherd, the gun boards to have the right under the new scheme to call applicants in for an interview. If they have information that might flag a problem, they do need to be able to ask about it. It's also not unreasonable to give them the opportunity to verify in person that the information in the application is accurate. And I have seen gun board meetings that have uncovered applicants who are part of the the "tin-foil-in-the-brain" set. These folks get special attention, and rightly so, IMO.

As long as the award/deny criteria are uniform statewide (and some boards are in fact abusing them), then I don't have a problem giving the boards the discretion to schedule meetings.

G22
07-28-2004, 06:41 AM
G22, so tell us what it was like on the group W bench.

Well, not having to sit on the bench with any of the other lettrers of the alphabet, I would have to say it went very well!!!! No one was denied and no one had any reason to be denied!!!! :P :lol: