Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10-2\3 @ fenton

I am a Forum User
    Great event!

This was my first Appleseed. The weather was horrid, to say the least. Not one break from the rain on Saturday. And I do mean NOT ONE BREAK! A bunch of die hards made a commitment and stuck to it.

First and foremost the socializing and meeting of new like minded individuals is priceless. Everyone seemed to enjoy what they were doing despite the weather.

My goal prior to the event was to become a rifleman, and receive my rifleman badge. I quickly learned this isn't a feat easily accomplished. And... I soon thereafter decided this wasn't the event my goal was to be accomplished. I've pretty much been a pistol/shotty guy for the better part of my life. Having only owned 1 rifle in my entire life up until the last couple of months. Needless to say, my accuracy was a bit to be desired. Yet, I felt, with my limited times to the range. That I was dialed in. (from the bench) Boy oh boy, was I wrong there. And taking into consideration that a bench isn't going to be in the woods or fields. Or anywhere near a possibility in any other type of setting other than, *the range*.

I learned how to use different positions that at times will be the only alternative that I would have. I found this to be one of the most useful parts of the program. I learned how to use my sling as a support method. Both of these I had little or no clue as to the impact they would have on my ability. The next most important thing that I took from the class, is what NPOA is, and how to acquire it. NPOA, was the thing that took me most of the first day just to get a grasp of. I was using various muscles in my body to acquire, which I found to be very discouraging. And rightfully so, because it's WRONG!

The Sling! And how to use it. Wow! And all this time I've thought of the sling as merely a carrying mechanism! Different holds, different loops, different, different. I could go on and on, with this topic. Just too much importance of the sling to list without actually doing it.

Learning to adjust sighting systems on the fly was something that I never knew how to do. That is a thing of the past now as well.

Also, learned some things about our history, that I either had overlooked, forgotten since school days. Or just did not know! Pretty interesting stuff for the conservative minded folks to take in.

Overall:

The learning experience was excellent! The instructors, were excellent! The socializing of like minded people, was excellent!

I was disappointed by the fact that my skill set was not up to par to acquire a rifleman's badge. But that just goes to show, my lack of understanding and practicing the correct techniques.

I was most impressed with the dedication of the instructors to make you a better or rifleman in the works. Their patience, kindness, and overall attitude is second to none. Safety included!

My feelings are.... If you think you're good. Go out and attend one of these events, achieve your badge (if you can). Challenge yourself, because, it is a challenge, no matter what you think your skill set is. Attend one if you are not satisfied with the results you produce. Attend one if you like to socialize with friendly folks that enjoy doing what they do. Bring out the family, spend a weekend together doing something that will sure to be enjoyable. (if you don't get non stop rain that is)

What I improved most on: Overall accuracy, accuracy in the sitting position, and accuracy in the standing position. Speed at acquiring the target. And overall speed on the AQT was quite impressive by the end of the event. I really could go on and on here, but these are the thing that I took notice to being major flaws in my game.

Will I attend again? Yes, and probably many times.

Special thanks to Fuzzymath and SuperHeat for driving the NPOA into my brain without loosing their own mind. And a big thanks are in order for Fenton Lakes for hosting this event! Nice club softseller! Until the next time AS folks! HUZZAH!

Thanks for the report Signess

It was a great weekend, rain and all. Sigs report really captures the spirit of Appleseed. It's not just about shooting...glad you got that part!

Thanks

Signess,
    You made my week. Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure to work with you all weekend. You are knocking on the door of the rifleman's patch. Your next appleseed will be even better. You will be more relaxed and able to absorb even more stuff. Thanks for the positive teachable attitude you showed all weekend, even in horrible condtions.
    I ask only one thing... Let me be there when you achieve the rifleman status.
    Superheat.
    I love my country but I fear my government- Mark Scott r.i.p.

What would George Washington do? I bet he would get off his ass and fight.

Wow, sounds like I should have made the trip.

I was required to be at another shoot and couldn't make it to Fenton.

Signess... Remember, the most important part of becoming a Rifleman.

Riflemen have perseverance.

There is a big difference between persistence and perseverance. As one of our Illinois Instructors is quick to point out, "Beating your head against a wall is persistence, Breaking through is perseverance."

Hmm… Seems a Orange hat maybe in your future too.

Hope to see you at a shoot in 2011.... (Hmmm... Illinois 300 2... September 10-11 2011)

G.B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12