Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Carrying on campus issue

I think the part bothers me the most about not being able to carry on campus is that there is nothing stopping me besides the law. So only my conscience keeps me from carrying on campus, so those who do not have a good conscience(or are choosing to ignore it), the only thing preventing them from carrying a gun, is ink on a page inside a dusty book. I mean, I couldn't tell you of one time I have ever walked through a metal detector, or been searched, or anything. I even saw a fellow student in class who had a knife clipped on his belt that was quite excessive for utility work, and he has it everyday. Whats to stop someone from stuffing there backpack with guns or grenades or whatever. Hell, I've even seen people selling stolen goods in the parking lot....(I doubt they legitly had 20 IPOD touches they wanted to sell for 100bucks a pop)

So when Dopey decides to pack heat at school, I'll just have to stand there with my junk in my hand like everyone else, while he spreads his rage (and our blood) all over the school...

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by snapshotdod
    I think the part bothers me the most about not being able to carry on campus is that there is nothing stopping me besides the law. So only my conscience keeps me from carrying on campus, so those who do not have a good conscience(or are choosing to ignore it), the only thing preventing them from carrying a gun, is ink on a page inside a dusty book. I mean, I couldn't tell you of one time I have ever walked through a metal detector, or been searched, or anything. I even saw a fellow student in class who had a knife clipped on his belt that was quite excessive for utility work, and he has it everyday. Whats to stop someone from stuffing there backpack with guns or grenades or whatever. Hell, I've even seen people selling stolen goods in the parking lot....(I doubt they legitly had 20 IPOD touches they wanted to sell for 100bucks a pop)

So when Dopey decides to pack heat at school, I'll just have to stand there with my junk in my hand like everyone else, while he spreads his rage (and our blood) all over the school...
    You're absolutely right, and that applies to following ANY law.

But the craziest thing about it all is that in order to obtain a CPL, you have to be an adult, over 21, with a clean record, and have undergone (albeit minimal) training. The people who are scared of allowing guns on campus insist on viewing all college students as drunk 18 year-olds, and so cannot imagine giving "them" permission to carry their legal guns on campus. And so the crime continues unabated...

I am a Forum User
    Believe me, I think the same thing everyday.

Safety on campus is a fairy tale that requires me to believe that by simply crossing an imaginary line on the sidewalk, that I suddenly enter a magic land where everyone is free to learn in peace, protected from the "Real World"

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Will-IB-Ready
    Believe me, I think the same thing everyday.

Safety on campus is a fairy tale that requires me to believe that by simply crossing an imaginary line on the sidewalk, that I suddenly enter a magic land where everyone is free to learn in peace, protected from the "Real World"

Completely agree!

I am a Forum User
    i have been thinking about this more and more since i've been a student at Central Michigan.

Since i have been here that has been more than 5 stabbings (off-campus), one manager was nearly killed when 2 men ran him over with their car numerous times, and even 2 years ago my current roomie was dating girl who had her door kicked in at her apartment by 2 men as well.

i always have a pocket knife on me at all times (2" blade), it was my grandfathers so it holds a special place to me. Even though my apartment complex doesn't allow firearms i have contemplated bringing my XD up to school and keep in a safe because my buddies and i like to go out shooting every once and awhile, and also for personal protection.

i have (since joining this site, and since reading this section) contacted my campus' chapter and am currently waiting a reply from the president.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HamSandWich
    i have (since joining this site, and since reading this section) contacted my campus' chapter and am currently waiting a reply from the president.
    Let me know if you don't hear from him by the time the semester starts up.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Will-IB-Ready
    Let me know if you don't hear from him by the time the semester starts up.

will do.. semester doesn't start for another 2-3 weeks. So hopefully i will have an update by then

I am a Forum User
    got an email from him this morning.. talking back and forth. also have talked to my roomie and a buddy of mine and i think all 3 of us might be going to some meetings sometime soon

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HamSandWich
    Even though my apartment complex doesn't allow firearms i have contemplated bringing my XD up to school and keep in a safe because my buddies and i like to go out shooting every once and awhile, and also for personal protection.
    I too have seen this stated in lease contracts, and do not personally understand how a company can basically waive your 2nd amendment rights. I view it as vaguely unenforceable legal babble. I could very well be mistaken, but breaking some little contract detail to me is a lot less important than not being properly, and legally, protected.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snapshotdod
    I think the part bothers me the most about not being able to carry on campus is that there is nothing stopping me besides the law. ..

Yeah, nothing stops peoples' intentions like "laws".

umm.. work to change the laws if you want, but stop making statements like the above... that's gotta be a classic...
    Last edited by Buzzcat; 12-23-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast