Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Old news that I am very proud of how it turned out. I wrote the proposed the straight wall rifle rule to 59th District Matt Lori in May of 2009 with sole purpose of hunter recruitment. Kudos to Matt Lori and his admin Susan Martin for staying with the fight all the way to promulgation. I was getting tired of the countless number of 2.5 hour drives to Lansing to defend the proposed rule and glad we toughed it out. After a long fight with DNR, it was finally put through the NRC for 3 year trial and here we are eight years later with a permanent rule for straight wall rifle that has a profound impact not only here in Mi but in many additional states as well. Ohio, Iowa have implemented very similar versions and looks like quite a few more are in the legislated pipeline. I feel like this is a worthwhile legacy for major change in deer hunting in all shotgun zones. This was a very much misunderstood rule by a lot of folks that didn't understand why it had to be written the way it was to insure passage. The end result has been proven out since I see more youth at the range shooting .357 Mags, .357 Max, .44 Mag and so on with fun and accuracy. Of course there are quite a few .450BM's and so on as well. As a side note, Pittman Robertson also benefited from the increase in revenue which has benefited MI.

MGO Member Forum User
    I studied MCL 123.1102 (enacted in 1990), which in my opinion (admittedly, I am no lawyer or expert), nullifies any and all local municipalities' gun ban ordinances. I started studying this because of another post regarding a man in Grand Haven (if I remember correctly) being cited with a misdemeanor and weapon confiscated due to local ordinance.

This isn't to say I wanted to justify his particular actions, as I know not enough about itbut wanted to know for my own good sense-just what the strictest legalities may be, and how such a case might play out should I ever find myself in a similar locale.

So in short, I educated myself to further the cause of firearms ownership.

Bought a new G43. I love those GSSF coupons.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

MGO Member Forum User
    I purchased a new safe just for my handguns and a few stack-on handgun racks. Much more secure than their previous storage location. Also, I bought firearm insurance.

I am a Forum User
    Asked my friend to buy Mosin Nagants Asap.

I am a Forum User
    Got my CPL

MGO Board of Directors

I committed to donating $100 to help fight the gun grabbers.

Election Hangover

By now there is no news. The midterm elections went about as expected -- Republicans gained seats in the Senate, and Democrats took control of the House. However, I see a serious problem ahead.

There's good news and bad news for supporters of the Second Amendment. The good news comes in the form of a stronger GOP control of the Senate, and that means judges, judges, judges. As I said in 2016, that's the most important factor right now. President Trump is nominating federal judges like crazy, and the change in the Senate may speed up the approval process. Whether a seat opens up on the Supreme Court is anyone's guess. I honestly don't expect Justice Ginsberg to resign while Trump is in the White House.

The change in the house will prove to be a bit problematic for gun owners. Maxine Waters will head up the pollpowerful House Financial Services Committee, which oversees Wall Street, insurance, and banking. Could that portend a return to an Operation Chokepoint sort of approach to strangle the financial life out of the firearms industry? I have no doubt that the gun-ban industry already has that plan drawn up and is waiting to drop it into the hands of Waters.

In Washington State, the horrible I-1639 referendum passed, as expected. Basically, this was $5.5 million versus about $700,000. We didn't have the money, and that meant we couldn't buy the airtime needed. Even with four major law enforcement agencies opposing this restriction on gun rights, the media carried the water for the gun banners, calling it a "gun safety" measure.

Stepping back from the immediate "who won and who lost" reports, I'm concerned about the races, the performance, the changing faces of voters, and what it means for gun owners.

Over the last several decades we have watched Americans move from rural areas to urban and suburban. This will continue, and it's highly unlikely it will ever reverse. This diaspora to cities lies at the heart of the generational and gender divide in gun ownership. Simply put, people don't live on farms and ranches. They can't step out the back door and shoot. They live closer to Starbucks than they do to sagebrush. This isn't news, and the NSSF, among others, has pushed to make shooting attractive to city dwellers, with some success.

To a large extent, people who don't shoot don't care about gun rights. Sure, that's overly broad, but it's basically true. We need a 10-time increase in quality shooting ranges in and near cities, and we need to double or triple the number of people who shoot actively.

Two more things need to happen, and no one wants to hear this.

First, the NRA needs to get leaner, meaner, and more effective. Failing that, there needs to be another gun rights group to rise up, funded by billionaires in a Bloomberg-like passion.

Second, we all need to get off our collective asses and get seriously involved. For each of us, our involvement is measured it two ways: money and time. How much of each do you contribute? The gun banners succeed in energizing people to march, contribute, meet, call, email, and donate. I'd suggest getting on the email list of the gun-ban groups, as I have. I get one to three emails from them every day, keeping me informed, keeping me (they hope) committed, and always asking for a donation.

No one likes to get a bad report card, but as our parents used to tell us, that's not because the teacher gave us bad grades. It's because we earned them. It's how we know where we need to improve.

I almost hate to say these things because I know you are getting this as a Gun Talk Truth Squad member, and you are already part of the solution. And yet ... I'm trying to find a way to get $100 each from 20 million gun owners. I know, I know. But, the reality is that for many people $100 won't break the bank, and it really makes a difference. Or, how do we get gun owners to show up at the state legislatures, to march, to call, to give their time?

I'm looking at the faces of the marchers and the voters, and I'm watching the millions of dollars being donated by billionaires to strip us of our rights, and I know we are facing fights like we have never seen.

Yes, we have Trump for two more years. Maybe more, but don't count on it. Sure, we'll have more good judges. If we don't have a solid, well-funded plan in place to reach urban and young voters, though, we will face more and more I-1639s, Operation Choke Points, restrictions on our activities and speech by online and financial companies, and we will continue to lose.

If you happen to know a billionaire, or if you ARE a billionaire, who wants to protect the Second Amendment, I'll take $50 million as a start and make it happen. Or, if you know a way we can get 20 percent of gun owners (20 million) to each send in only ten bucks, let me know.

I feel we are at a tipping point. I don't want us to look back at this in 10 or 20 years and say "Why didn't we do something.""

Ideas? ~ Tom

Tom Gresham
    Author, outdoorsman, gun rights activist, and firearms enthusiast for more than five decades, Tom Gresham hosts Tom Gresham's Gun Talk, the first nationally-syndicated radio show about guns and the shooting sports, and is also the producer and co-host of the Guns & Gear, GunVenture and First Person Defender television series.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Today I taught a brand-new shooter how to shoot his new Glock 19. He had gone through the CPL process, and bought the Glock and had a Vortex Venom optic installed. He insisted on me shooting the gun first and sighting in the optic for him, which I did, explaining the process as I went. I stood behind him as he fired first 5 rounds into the sight-in target, and then a full mag into a fresh one. He was pretty tickled with his own progress, once he got used to the dot jumping all over the place, and he's got a great start, as the Glock was amazingly accurate. He's now going to join our club and become a regular, and is already considering a .22 to join us for Steel Challenges. I must admit, it was fun. I haven't trained anybody since the 90s, so that felt good.

I tell every gun owner/carrier I come in contact with that Walmart has partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety so buying anything, even groceries, at Walmart helps support the anti gun efforts of Everytown for Gun Safety.

Check it out for yourself by following the link below to Walmart Policies and Guidelines and scrolling down to:

Firearms and Ammunition Guidelines

and you will find, and I quote from the website:

"Walmart is a charter member of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, organized by Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety."
    unquote

And, as of 8:15am 10-6-2019, that is still on Walmart's own website:

https://corporate.walmart.com/policies

And now today I have told you that if you support owning guns and carrying guns shopping at Walmart means you are also supporting the anti gun organization called Everytown for Gun Safety.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I tell every gun owner/carrier I come in contact with that Walmart has partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety so buying anything, even groceries, at Walmart helps support the anti gun efforts of Everytown for Gun Safety.

Check it out for yourself by following the link below to Walmart Policies and Guidelines and scrolling down to:

Firearms and Ammunition Guidelines

and you will find, and I quote from the website:

"Walmart is a charter member of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, organized by Walmart and Everytown for Gun Safety."
    unquote

And, as of 8:15am 10-6-2019, that is still on Walmart's own website:

https://corporate.walmart.com/policies

And now today I have told you that if you support owning guns and carrying guns shopping at Walmart means you are also supporting the anti gun organization called Everytown for Gun Safety.
    WOW.

I shopped at WalMart three times in the last five years. I guess that's three times too many!!!!!

Thanks for the information!
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast