Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chewy
    Great post. Thanks.

Now someone buy my bodyguard!!
    so he can finally shut-up about it.

Thanks for the post and review.

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Bodyguard 380 review

That was a great review on the 380.

Last Thursday my son and I both got our Bodyguard 380's. We drove strait from the dealer to Mill creek in Dexter to put a few rounds through them. Like 500 rounds.
    The ammo was mostly Lellier & Bellot FMJ 92Gr and Corbon DPX 80Gr
    The first thing I noticed was the stiff trigger. But after the first 100 rounds through the gun it started to break in. And after 200 rounds the trigger is now what I would call pleasant.
    This little bugger was very accurate and I love the way it feels. And after shooting all those rounds, no sore hands.

The visual effect from the Corbon ammo was stunning. If I would miss my target, I sure as heck would blind him (as well as myself). The flames went out a couple of feet from the barrel. My son was laughing very hard as it looked like 4th of July fireworks.

Since then we put snap caps in the chamber and dry fired for maybe another 1000 rounds. This baby is real smooth now.

S&W has a real winner here and am not at all sorry we went that route.

My normal carry piece is either a SP101 .357 or a SW99 45ACP. Both great guns. The 380 is a great addition and backup and will become a primary carry when small matters.

Nice write-up.
    I agree that the Bodyguard 380 is well designed..........except for the laser.
    The ones that I have handled have been very difficult to impossible to activate with the trigger finger.
    I would much prefer a CT style laser with instinctive activation or no laser at all.
    Aside from that, it's a winner.

Rabear, Thanks for your input. Like you have found, the more rounds through my BG380 the better the trigger feels. It's still a long pull, but the pull has become smoother.

Karcent, I believe S&W fixed the laser switch on the later models. Mine turns on VERY ease. Just a light tap on the switch and it is on. My serial number starts with EAE. If yours is less then this s/n you might want to get with S&W tech support to see about having it upgraded.

Some of the early models also had issues with the take-down lever falling out. Not a good thing to have happen. Mine has a pretty heavy spring holding it in and it isn't that easy to remove. I understand this wasn't the case on the first of the BG380's. The S&W forum has a number of folks that have sent theirs back to have them corrected with the later fix.

I really like my BG380. I have about 300 rounds through it and zero issues.

I really do not have any problem with the laser activation. All done with my trigger finger.

Now fas for having a laser in the first place did not sway me oone way or the other. I bought it for gun itself first and foremost. I probably will hardly ever use it.

That trigger will get easier yet. Like I said we put 500 rounds through both of them and dry fired a 1000 times or so with snap caps.

I agree with you Eric on the laser activation switch. My serial number starts with EAE also and there are raised rings around the switch so it does not get activated while in your pocket. Maybe the laser issue is with earlier units only. I find it very easy to use.

The take down lever is very stiff and cannot imagine it ever coming apart on its own.

And I am pretty impressed as to the accuracy of such a small gun. Of couse that is only after getting the trigger to break in.

I am a Forum User
    What I have been saying about this gun since I bought mine last August.

Make sure that the SN is EAB or higher. EAA's have the problem where the take down pin will walk out while firing. The EAB's and follow ups have the new redesigned frame addressing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tote'ngranny
    What I have been saying about this gun since I bought mine last August.

Make sure that the SN is EAB or higher. EAA's have the problem where the take down pin will walk out while firing. The EAB's and follow ups have the new redesigned frame addressing the issue.
    Having had yours since August, do you still like it? How is your laser switchs? Are they easy to turn on?

Thanks for the input on the serial numbers.

I am a Forum User
    Absolutely! As for the laser... a member on a site devoted to the BG.380 came up with the idea of using a tiny piece of a plastic Qtip snipped off just just enough to fit over the inside grommet nub to support it better. This made activation much easier. He also suggested that the ends be *rounded off* by heating the rims so that repeated usage won't wear through the grommet and also into the interior wall. The main reason that laser activation has been an issue is because of the activation nub being too soft and having too big of a gap allowing the nub to fall off to one side. I am hoping that S&W will make the modifacation to improve the grommet. Making the tube a wee too long .. activation is too easy.

More importantly.. the BG.380 shoots great, from reports of others who have owned many makes of .380's the BG.380 just beats them all with reliability and less recoil.

I suspect that S&W did exactly as you had hoped with modifications to the laser switch. I have read of others that complained about the function of the switch. My later s/n does not exhibit any of the reported issues.

I agree with how well it shoots.

I’m glad to hear you enjoy your BG380!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast