Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&K P30 Pistol

I am a Forum User

H&K P30 Pistol

ITEM REVIEWED: H&K P30 V3 in 9mm

PURCHASED FROM / COST: Todd M. (MGO's very own CustomizedCreationz). I bought it used for $600-$650. New, they are usually priced around $800-950.

PRO'S:
    - Completely changeable backstraps and sidestraps (S,M,L) all the way around.
    - Factory glow-in-the-dark sites (not tritium)
    - Polygonal rifled barrel
    - 15 round capacity
    - Fully ambidextrous controls (slide release, mag release). Great for lefty shooters
    - Crisp DA/SA trigger with decocker (many other trigger variants available)
    - Standard picatinny rail on frame for mounting of lights/lasers
    - Easy, tool-less field stripping
    - Extremely accurate and reliable functioning
    - Fit and finish are exceptional
    - Magazine interchangeability with other H&K models such as the P2000sk

CON'S:
    - Price. Expensive pistol for sure.
    - Expensive and sometimes difficult to find accessories (mags, holsters, etc)
    - HK customer service doesn't have the best reputation for dealing directly with consumers. Their main focus is LEO/Military contracts.
    - In Germany, it is considered a "Kompact" (Compact) gun. Although here in the states it is around the same size as an M&P9. Therefore, it is not the easiest gun to conceal on a small frame person.
    - The European style magazine release is located on the trigger guard and takes a little training to become comfortable with.

IN-DEPTH REVIEW
    The H&K P30 has been around since 2007. I purchased mine used in late 2007 or early 2008. Since I have owned the pistol, I have fired nearly 5,000 flawless rounds with all types of ammunition. It was originally available only in 9mm without a manual safety, but H&K has since introduced a P30 chambered in .40 S&W and also have safeties available on both 9mm and 40 (P30s, with "s" designating "safety"). They also offer a version of the P30 with a longer 4.4" barrel as opposed to the standard 3.86" barrel. This version is called the P30L with "L" designating "long slide".

Ergonomics
    The main feature that drew me to this gun was the ergonomics. When I was shopping for my first pistol, I was originally drawn to the H&K P2000. I had gone into the gun shop to buy one until the salesman asked me if I had held the P30. He gave me the gun and it immediately felt like someone had shaped the gun specifically to my hand.

The gun has molded finger grooves on the front strap and changeable backstrap and sidestraps. With the combinations of small, medium or large straps all the way around the handle, it is possible to dial it in perfectly to your handsize.

Controls
    H&K is generally known for producing fully-ambidextrous pistols. Everything from the slide release to the mag release can be accessed quickly and easily with both hands. The magazine release is such that it is a tab that is located on either side of the trigger guard near the handle, instead of a traditional button. As such, it is activated by either "pinching" both the finger and thumb of the firing hand or "sweeping" either the forefinger or thumb. The slide release is a lever that is located on both sides of the pistol. It is prominent without being overly obnoxious. I have found however, that with an aggressive grip, I can sometimes ride the slide release and cause the slide to not lock back on the last round. My version of the P30 also has a decocker located on the back of the frame on the left side of the hammer. Pushing the button will safely release a cocked hammer and return the pistol to double action mode.

Materials/Craftsmanship
    The materials used in this pistol are all top notch quality. The lower receiver/frame is made of high strength polymer just like nearly all other semi-autos these days. The trigger and magazine release are also polymer, but are very solid in their construction. All the important components like the slide, sights and barrel are all made of steel. The fit and finish of this gun is exceptional. The barrel locks up tight, but the slide is smooth and not overly difficult to rack. The decocker is firm and solid. The mag releases with a tactile pop and magazines lock in with an audible click. The magazines are steel bodied with hard rubber baseplates. The only gripe that I have heard about the fit is sometimes the slide release levers can rattle on one side. I have encountered it with my pistol but it does not affect function and is not nearly enough of a nuisance to consider it a weak point.

Accuracy/Function
    The accuracy of this gun is superb. This can be attributed to the polygonal rifled barrel. This type of rifling provides a better gas seal with the bullet in the barrel which increases velocity and accuracy. The factory sights shoot POA/POI, and I have found that my aftermarket Trijicons now shoot with more of the "pumpkin on a fencepost" sight picture. The recoil is easily manageable in 9mm and follow-up shots are quick and accurate. The gun has a higher bore axis that say a Glock or M&P, but is well-balanced and points very naturally.

The pistol functions well with all ammo in all conditions. I have run this gun 500 rounds at a time with some very questionable ammo and it has never once complained. It extracts the cases strong and consistent. The trigger in DA mode is a little heavy with a rather long pull, but has a consistent, clean break. In SA mode, the trigger is light with average take-up. The reset is firm and audible, occuring roughly halfway back to full travel. Other trigger modes, such as the V2, include a DA only trigger labeled LEM (Law Enforcement Modification) which makes for a long-travel but light double-action trigger. Many people like this type of trigger and often compare it to a Sig Sauer DAK type trigger.

I am a Forum User
    Field Stripping/Cleaning
    Field stripping the P30 is simple and tool-less. Simply retract the slide about 1.5" inches to the rear, lining up a notch in the slide above the slide release lever. Push the button on the slide release lever from the right side of the gun to the left to unblock the lever from locking the slide to the frame. Then remove the slide assembly from the frame. The P30 has a captured slide release lever meaning that it cannot/should not be completely removed from the frame. This is done to eliminate the chance of losing that piece should it get lost/misplaced once removed from the gun. Most other H&K models do not have a captured slide release lever and the lever can become separated from the gun.

Cleaning of the weapon is easy and straight forward. The polygonal rifled barrel is generally easier to clean than traditional "land and groove rifling". There are simply no corners or hard edges for carbon and fouling to build up. Once the barrel is clean, I generally clean the underside of the slide, the frame rails and the trigger spring. A light application of lubrication in these areas keeps the gun running 100%

Overall Impressions
    This was the first pistol I have ever bought and continues to be my favorite pistol to this day. Since then, I have purchased three other pistols from other manufacturers but have yet to find one that will out-shoot this gun or feel nicer in the hands than this one. It is a finely crafted weapon and it's attention to detail and materials are well worth the high price tag.

Additional Resources & Information
    H&K P30 Specs - http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/p30_general.asp
    P30 Field Strip Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3-yIX-ZtM0
    P30 Parts - http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-P30-Parts-c205.htm
    Other H&K Info - http://www.hkpro.com
    P30 Torture Test - http://pistol-training.com/archives/...s/p30-thursday
    Last edited by steve126a; 11-15-2010 at 11:05 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the review.

I've considered trading in my Glock 23 for one of these. I've put a lot of custom work into my Glock, so I'm not quite sure I can part with my 'baby', however if I do trade it, it'd be for this.

How's the weight/size comparison to say a Glock 23/19?

Nice Write-up!

Steve, very informative review, I kind-of wish I hadn’t read it though. Now I have another gun to add to my wish list! I guess that's not all bad.

I am a Forum User
    Malignity, I would say the P30 is a bit heavier than the Glock 23/19. Probably has to do with some heavier parts, like the magazine being steel instead of polymer. According to both manufacturers websites, the P30 is only about 2oz heavier than the Glock unloaded.

I am a Forum User
    Good to know.

Oh! One other thing I need to ask:

Is the safety ambidextrous? From the picture, I can see there's not one on each side, but maybe you can flip it over? Or does this model not have a safety?

I am a Forum User
    My particular model does not have a safety, although they are available. It is often setup for right handed shooters but it might be able to be switched.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    love mine!
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Thumbs up

Good Review!!!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster
    love mine!
    I won't say i love Shyster's P30, but I really, really like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast