Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GSG 1911

how accurate is it at extended ranges? such as 40 yrds?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusexige
    how accurate is it at extended ranges? such as 40 yrds?
    I have never shot it that far. The furthest was 75 feet, but it did reasonably well. The target was a knock-down style about 12 inches in diameter, and I used 'Kentucky windage', so I don't have any reference like MOA.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the great review!!! Since you were comparing side by side, how is the trigger of the GSG compared to the Buckmark and how about accuracy compared to the Buckmark?? The GSG looks like a really nice gun for the money.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tech2b9
    Thanks for the great review!!! Since you were comparing side by side, how is the trigger of the GSG compared to the Buckmark and how about accuracy compared to the Buckmark?? The GSG looks like a really nice gun for the money.
    I like the trigger pull a little better on the Buckmark better than the GSG, however I like the GSG trigger better than the Ruger, but none of them are "far and away' better than the other.

The accuracy is about the same, but saying "accuracy" is a little deceiving because IMO it depends mostly on the shooter and ammo variables need to be considered. I have never tested any of them with a shooting stand.

I can tell you that I have not noticed enough of a variance at 15 feet to make any real meaningful judgment. But the Ruger seems to have the edge at longer distances( i.e. 40-75 feet), I would imagine it is because of the longer barrel. However, I rarely shoot that far anyway.

If someone wants a hunting style gun, for longer ranges, I would choose the Ruger. But its a real toss up between the GSG and the Buckmark. I would imagine that there are many more accessories available for the Buckmark and I know the Mags are cheaper. Mags for the GSG are about $35 each with tax.

I bought the GSG for the express reason of duplicating the feel of a 1911, and it does that way better than any of the others listed, it seems to be just as accurate at most normal distance I shoot, and it has been fairly reliable, and the price fits my budget.

One other thing I like about the GSG, because of the price, is that I am not afraid of taking it apart and experimenting with it as far as gunsmithing goes. So to that extent, I have completely disassembled this thing and as a result, I know have a much better understanding of how a 1911 works. Which is something I was skeptical of trying with my $800-$1200 Kimbers.

Great review and looks like a pretty good machining job too!!
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

I am a Forum User
    As an update, I called American Tactical importers on Thursday and told them about the cracked bushing and the guy said that I must have gotten an early model and that they have since switched to a steel one. He took my shipping info and said he would ship one out to me that day.

I also told him that the little rubber washer on the recoil spring was toast. He said that he would ship out a "handful" with that order also. He reminded me that I have a 2 year warranty and to call them if I have any other concerns.

It went very smooth, no questions asked, I expect my stuff next week. I will update when I get them.

The guy was real nice and I had another question so he transferred me directly to the gunsmith.

I have found that cleaning this gun every 1000 rounds really reduces the amount of FTE's to about 1 per 1000.

So far I am still very happy with this gun.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcpaul
    As an update, I called American Tactical importers on Thursday and told them about the cracked bushing and the guy said that I must have gotten an early model and that they have since switched to a steel one. He took my shipping info and said he would ship one out to me that day.

I also told him that the little rubber washer on the recoil spring was toast. He said that he would ship out a "handful" with that order also. He reminded me that I have a 2 year warranty and to call them if I have any other concerns.

It went very smooth, no questions asked, I expect my stuff next week. I will update when I get them.

The guy was real nice and I had another question so he transferred me directly to the gunsmith.

I have found that cleaning this gun every 1000 rounds really reduces the amount of FTE's to about 1 per 1000.

So far I am still very happy with this gun.
    That's good info. My local dealer has a couple of these in stock, and I MAY, just MAY have to pick one up!

I am a Forum User
    Still another update.

I got the parts they promised me today, about 2 business days after I talked to them.
    His idea of a handful of rubber washers was a little different than mine(he sent 6). No biggie, besides they last for about 7,000 rounds, and it has a 2 year warranty.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by rjrivero
    That's good info. My local dealer has a couple of these in stock, and I MAY, just MAY have to pick one up!
    For the amount of fun I have had with this gun, and since all the controls are exactly like my 45's , I would recommend getting one. They are not perfect, but still a hell of a value when you consider I would have burned up thousands of dolllars worth of 45 practicing.

Currently 7,000 rounds of 22 would is about $250 from Wally World. My goal is to shoot 100,000 rounds through this thing. I have never worn out a gun before, but I am damn sure gonna try with this one.

I am a Forum User
    ROFL. Best of luck in your quest. Wearing out a gun takes a little bit of doing. Wearing out a .22LR is darned near impossible, so far as I can tell!!

Best of luck in your quest.

I may pick one up as a host for my next .22 Suppressor........the Stainless Steel Sparrow from Silencerco.

They should be shipping by the end of the month, and I should have it at my Class III by mid to end January. Then the ATF wait begins again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast