Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Book review - Bostons Gun Bible

I received Boston's Gun Bible (revised 200 for Christmas and just finished it.

Overview:
    Billed (by the author) as the most useful gun encyclopedia for the modern gun owner, the book delves into the basics of safety & handling, the law, tactics training combat rifle history and comparisons of combat rifles (as related to militia use), optics, shotguns, handguns buying & selling and the BATFE.

Review:
    Some of the information is useful, some philosophically or technically interesting and some anecdotaly interesting. Other things are downright odd, noticeably off topic (for their chapter) or borderline criminal advice.

I cannot in good conscience recommend the book to someone new to gun ownership. While the basics are there, and there is a good overview of tactical considerations regarding carrying and using a gun in self defense, it's intermingled with too many political views and far to much space on borderline criminal actions. In the middle of the chapter on tactics, the author goes into an 8 page discussion on a book by an anti gun writer. In chapter 5, where he discusses what to do after successfully using a gun to defend yourself, he devotes 8 pages to describing how to prepare (for carry) and dispose of a “cold gun” and make it seem like you weren't there, yet only 3 pages on what to expect if you stay (and call 911). The chapter on buying and selling has a few good tips on negotiating and a whole lot of suggestions on how to make untraceable gun buys (and how to buy illegally out of state that way).

For the more experienced gun owner there is some good info. His comparisons of the common main battle rifles (MBRs) are interesting and well thought through. He only lightly touches .223 / 7.62x39 caliber carbines (stating the revision focuses on battle rifles). His opinions on useful ranges of cartridges are questionable (he considers the .223 only useful to 200 yards and the .30 carbine only to 50 yards). All of his gun rankings, ratings and comparisons are based on a militia service perspective, employing them from a cabin or home with no gunsmith support at best, or from extended field service open warfare / survivalist situations at the worst. The handgun chapter has OK comparisons of cartridges, but is almost worthless for comparing handguns. There are 7 ˝ pages on the Glock vs 2 paragraphs that lump 1911s and all SA autos together (as an example). Shotguns, sporting rifles & rim fires are very lightly touched on (a couple of paragraphs each).

The book is heavily political, and his outlook on future gun ownership in the US is dark. He mentions the pro gun organizations and the RKBA fight (legislative and in the courts) but almost dismisses it out of hand. From his writing it is fairly obvious that he is debating when, not if, there will be a second civil war (and expecting it within a few years).

In closing, this is probably a fair book for the dedicated survivalist with an anti government mindset and little firearm knowledge. For an experienced gun owner, it's an interesting read that will have you rolling your eyes at times. For those new to gun ownership, save your money – in fact don't read it if a friend loans it to you until you have some personal knowledge and experience regarding firearms ownership.

Jeff Colonnesi
    Last edited by Quaamik; 01-03-2011 at 01:42 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Nice comprehensive review. I think I will skip it. Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    I still reference this book prior to purchasing. Lot's of good useful info on a variety of rifles, pistols and other shopping items.

Boston is not for everyone, but I liked it.