Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady LNL AP

I am a Forum User

Hornady LNL AP

Well I just made my first 60 rounds of 45 ACP on my new Hornady LNL AP.

First off, lets get this straight; I have already had a Dillon 550 and I liked it. It was a nice machine, so this is not a Dillon bash thread. It is merely my observations of my new machine with a price comparison at the end. If you wanna get a blue machine, do it; I am sure you will be happy with it. I was.

Now on with the review. I picked this one up on Ebay and paid $368.00 shipped. (I had a 10% off coupon with paypal, so it was originally $412 with free shipping) It arrived in a nice box and everything was in it.

Mounting was very straight forward.

Set up was not quite as straight forward. I have a very good working knowledge of a progressive press and general mechanical knowledge, so after skimming the directions, (which were lacking imo) it took me about 1.5 hours to set it up.

What I did not like about the directions was their lack of reference pictures. Sure I can flip to the back of the book to find out what a "Fetzer valve" is, but why not just put a little picture next to the directions instead? Anyway, no big deal. There was DVD with it, but I never opened it, maybe it was good, I don't know.

After I got it together I found the drive hub was cracked. I called Hornady and they shipped one out right away, no questions asked. Took 2 days to get it, but it was easy to install (about 4 minutes) and I was ready to "rock and roll".

I really, really like the "bushing system". Imo it is far superior to the Dillon die plate system. It is cheaper to change calibers (about $13 for the bushings), they are quickly removed individually and seem to lock in tighter than the Dillon tray system. With the Dillon you have to either buy another powder dropper, or unscrew the damn thing to switch calibers. With my new Hornady you just leave it in place, untwist the dies you wanna change, and adjust the powder drop. Done.

Storing the Dillon die plate system seems easier, but again $$$$.

If you are switching to rifle, or a radically different setup/powder, then buying a different dropper is probably best, but changing it out is as simple as 1/8 twist to remove and 1/8 twist to install. (it actually took longer to type out how to do it, than it actually takes to do it)

I am looking for the case feeder now. I should have ordered both (press and case feeder) from Cabelas in early December for $668 w/ free shipping when they had them in stock. oh well.

I also got 500 "free" .45 ACP bullets ( free except for the cost of shipping $14.95). Which I also have to give them credit for, because instead of just making me wait 10-12 weeks hoping they got my stuff, they actually sent me an email confirming they got it.

The cheapest I found a Dillon was $445 shipped, no free bullets.
    The cheapest I found a Hornady was $368 shipped, 500 free* bullets (*actually $14.95)

It does seem to be a little easier to find accessories for a Dillon, but that is a dual edged sword in my opinion. There is so much crap out there for the Dillon, it is way too easy to start buying stuff for no good reason, and they seem to push it hard. Strong mounts, roller handles, Aluminum roller handles, bulllet trays, tool holders, tool kits, primer warning systems..etc..

Anyhow I am sure Hornady has that stuff too, but it is not as easy to find, or "in your face", which makes me think about the need for it a little more.

When it's all said and done, I would not have done it any different. I love this machine, it seems very sturdy, has a lifetime "No Worries" warranty, and it is a little easier on the wallet for just about everything.

P.S. the new EZ-ject system rocks, it almost shoots the round out too far. LOL

Here are some pics for those that care.

Last edited by usmcpaul; 01-13-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Good review. I have one and like it. I just ordered the new Bullet Feeder too.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster
    Good review. I have one and like it. I just ordered the new Bullet Feeder too.
    Do you have the case feeder? Is it worth it? It looks almost too good to be true.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcpaul
    Do you have the case feeder? Is it worth it? It looks almost too good to be true.
    No dammit same as you. Going to order one of those too. The bullet feeder is on backorder.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Good review! Shute, almost sounds exactly the way I type up reviews.

I got my LNL setup just recently. No auto feeders [yet]

I agree about the instructions. It took me 2-3 hours over two nights - I gave up out of frustration because I installed the powder rotor upside-down, I'm a slow adult, so took me some time to figure it out. And on the 3rd night, while surfing the web for random crap, I learned that the bent metal piece they included was a baffle for the powder measure. I would've never known. (Later I found a tiny little drawing for it on a piece of paper hidden in the box.)

I have never even seen a Dillon in person, so I don't bother comparing anything except for price. I'm very happy with the bang-for-the-buck with the LNL.

Just wondering, since you've had a Dillon, thank you for mentioning specifics as to the differences between Hornady & Dillon. Thus far, all I've read is that folks are comparing Fords to Chevys. And folks that say "Dillon, hands down" never seem to have a reason behind it. Sure, both presses and CS are awesome - but why "Dillon hands down"? Is that just the same as me saying I'd never drive a Ford "just because"?

Seems like the final test would be to lock 2 monkeys in a room...one with a Hornady LNL, one with a Dillon. Give those monkeys 5 million rounds to load of 3 different calibers. Once all is said & done, get a report from those monkeys on which press cranked out the most rounds of acceptable quality (no squashed primers, etc), had the easiest caliber-swap, when parts broke how long to get replacements & how simple to install, etc. Add up all the scores, average them out, include the cost of the press, and I really do wonder which would come out on top.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetplane19
    Good review! Shute, almost sounds exactly the way I type up reviews.

And on the 3rd night, while surfing the web for random crap, I learned that the bent metal piece they included was a baffle for the powder measure. I would've never known. (Later I found a tiny little drawing for it on a piece of paper hidden in the box.)
    LOL. I found out about that "baffle' about 3 minutes after I poured my powder in. Oh well, it seems to be ok without it.

I agree with the "most bang for the buck" part also.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster
    No dammit same as you. Going to order one of those too. The bullet feeder is on backorder.

Shyster, I am considering making my own case feeder. I found some Youtube videos that make it seem pretty easy. I dunno? The frugal part of me says try it, but the "impatient guy" inside says just buy it.

Good review! Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I started reloading in May.

I went with the Hornady LNL AP and am very happy. I really had no problem with the set up at all. The Powder drops are very consistent and I have not had to tinker with any of the setup at all.

Hornady has excellent customer support. One of the shell plates I purchased seemed to hold the shell casings too tight. I called Hornady and they shipped a replacement, no questions asked. Also sent me a couple extra retainer springs.

I have thought about adding the casing feeder and the shell feeder but haven't done so yet. Actually, I'm not concerned about high speed production.

The process is pretty smooth once I get a flow going. The only part I don't like is loading the primers but that's pretty much the same with all presses.
    If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcpaul
    Shyster, I am considering making my own case feeder. I found some Youtube videos that make it seem pretty easy. I dunno? The frugal part of me says try it, but the "impatient guy" inside says just buy it.
    If you're reasonably handy at home brew fabrication it's not too hard to adapt a Lee case feeder to the LnL. I saw some of the videos on YouTube and made my own version. It's not as fancy as the Hornady electric feeder, but once I got it set up and dialed in it's worked really well and only cost me about $40. I can load it up with 60 .38 special cases or 100 9mm and load a batch in no time. Now that I've got it worked out it only takes a few minutes to switch between the two.

I agree with your review.
    I have only used Hornady at home but have had the opertunity to use the Dillon at my buddys place. Cost of ownership is less with Hornady over the long run.
    I have the case feeder big plus. I am waiting on the bullet feeder to ship?
    But I have all the bullet feeder dies here so am ready when it gets here.
    By the way nice reloading room you have. The wife only let me have a corrner when we moved here years ago but have since filled that up LOL.
    And I agree that there should be no bashing of RED or BLUE. Both work well and both have quirks as well.
    I would suggest you getting a spare retainer spring or two. Which are free from Hornady with a phone call. And I placed a dime under the primer setter "pusher" as well for it sems to divet under that after a while.
    NRA Life Member.
    True Respect is earned never given.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast